It forms part of the Cape Floristic Region UNESCO World Heritage Site. The park covers a large area of the Cape and incorporates a number of park areas
Table Mountain National Park consists of the greater Table Mountain chain on the peninsula, stretching from the well known Table Mountain behind Cape Town south to Cape Point. It incorporates Table Mountain, Tokai Forest, Silvermine, a large area around Cape Point, as well as a number of marine protected areas.
The park is busy with ongoing restructuring and development. New areas are constantly being added to the park in an effort to link the separated portions and expand the park.
Marine protected areas
- The coastal area around Boulders for the protection of penguins
- Cape of Good Hope marine restricted zone
- Castle Rock and Paulsberg restricted zone south of Boulders
- Karbonkelberg restricted zone around Llandudno
- Kalk Bay restricted zone
Cape Point, in the southern part of the park is the southern tip of the Cape Peninsula, it is not the Cape of Good Hope and not the southern tip of Africa, The most southernly point of the continent is at Cape Agulhas in the Overberg.
Flora and fauna
The Cape Peninsula offers some typical fynbos vegetation. In the reserve are also a number of ostriches and antelopes. The baboons are used to people and often steal objects from tourists. Do not feed them! If a baboon approaches you, keep all food well hidden, and walk away facing the baboon but do not make eye contact. As long as they are not attacking you, leave them alone in their natural habitat (photos are allowed).
To get to the top of table mountain you'll have to take the cable cars
Fees and permits
Most sections of the park do not require any fees to be paid, specifically
- Table Mountain - Access on foot to the mountain is free. Cable car ticket prices are shown below.
- The southern area towards Cape Point
Table Mountain cable car: first car up at 8:30AM, last car up 4:30PM-9:30PM depending on the time of year. Ticket prices, return/one-way (valid until 20 Sep 2017):
- Adult: R255/135
- Children (4-17 years): R125/65
- Children 3 years and under: free
- Discounts on Fridays only (available at ticket office only) for:
- South African seniors (60 and over): R100/53
- Local and international students: R130/70
Daily park fees (valid until 31 Oct 2017):
- Boulders - adults R70 per person, children R35 (you can see the penguins without having to pay any fees, but the penguins' private beach is managed by TMNP and an entry fee is charged.)
- Cape of Good Hope - adults R135 per person, children R70
- Silvermine - adults R50 per person, children R25
- Oudekraal - adults R40 per person, children R25
- Perdekloof picnic site - adults R15 per person, children R7
- Newlands picnic site - adults R25 per person, children R15, vehicles R25
- Tokai picnic site - adults R25 per person, children R15, vehicles R25
- Cape of Good Hope.
- Cape Point.
- Signal Hill and Lions Head.
- Scuba diving.
There is a small curio shop located at Cape Point
- Table Mountain Restaurant, On top of Table Mountain, close to the Upper Cable Station. hours. A 120 seat, self service restaurant. No booking required. Enjoy From R20 for a simple breakfast.
- Two Oceans Restaurant, ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Oct-Apr: 9AM to 6PM. May-Sep: 9AM to 5PM.
Cape of Good Hope
- Olifantsbos Cottage, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. R1900 per night for the cottage (sleeps 6).
- Eland and Duiker Cottages, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. R625 per night for 4 people.
- Wood Owl Cottage, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 11AM. R480 per night for 3 people.
Be aware of approaching chacma baboons at Cape Point. They regularly attack tourists. They won't hurt you much, but steal food and other things from you. If one approaches you, walk backwards slowly, facing the baboon. When driving past in your car or stopping nearby, close all windows!
- Go to all the harbours and villages around the Cape Peninsula.
- Cape Town is an option with the V&A Waterfront and other attractions
- The Cape Winelands are less than an hour drive.