I appreciate the helpful gesture in listing it, and I have not yet deleted it, but I would like to read an argument for why we should allow listings for renting a room or two in a house. This seems much more perilous than listing vacation rental agencies, which is already a controversial topic requiring a consensus in any article (see Project:Accomodation listings#Rental listings). My fear is that allowing listings for house and apartment shares would really open a Pandora's Box and turn Wikivoyage guides into bottomless pits of dubious listings of all sorts. (WT-en) Ikan Kekek 05:33, 2 June 2011 (EDT)
I've never contributed to Wikivoyage before but I was impressed by this flatshare and I thought it would be useful for people who wanted to learn Spanish. The guy who ran it was really nice and it gave us an opportunity to get to know some of the locals. I thought that the whole point of Wikivoyage was that it was powered by travelers rather than being a commercial advertising platform. I understand your concern but I think it would be a shame if useful knowledge which could only be obtained first had was lost.
- Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your sincerity and the feelings you express. But could you suggest a way for us to police these kinds of listings against the "Pandora's Box" argument I offered above? Also, not to worry in case you (and the rest of us) can't: There are other places where you can share your tips if we can't formulate a way to prevent these kinds of listings to turn every article into a new Craigslist.
- All the best,
- (WT-en) Ikan Kekek 02:08, 15 June 2011 (EDT)
- I also stumbled upon this listing. Maybe we should rewrite it to make Ben's point clear here? Or should we delete such listings?
- Saraedum (talk) 18:29, 10 February 2017 (UTC)
- Thinking about it, the question is probably also whether the rooms can be rented for single nights. If so, then there is not much of a difference between this place and a BnB. I wrote an email to the owner to ask about this. I might also just ring the bell and ask if I happen to pass by the place later. Saraedum (talk) 21:43, 10 February 2017 (UTC)
I removed the Casa Verde listing which to me seemed clearly promotional. I am somewhat new to WikiVoyage so let me know if that was the wrong thing to do. Saraedum (talk) 18:24, 10 February 2017 (UTC)
- It was a right thing to do, though not the only possible way to deal with the touty description. Another possibility, if you think the listing is otherwise useful, would be to restore the listing minus the "content", which looked purely promotional. I would trust your judgment on this, either way. Ikan Kekek (talk) 21:15, 10 February 2017 (UTC)