Tavistock is also served by various DevonBus [formerly dead link] (+44 8706-082-608) routes:
- 79: from Callington via Gunnislake
- 83/84: from Plymouth via Yelverton
- 85/86: linking Plymouth and Barnstaple via Tavistock
- 98: from Yelverton via Princetown
- 185: Bere Ferrers/Bere Alston to Yelverton via Tavistock
- 186: from Okehampton via Launceston
Regular trains run to Plymouth from London and Elsewhere (a change in Bristol may be needed). The nearest station is 1 Gunnislake station, which is on the Tamar Valley branch line from Plymouth. It is around 4.5 miles (6 km) from Tavistock, with direct buses between them.
Tavistock is a great centre for a holiday, particularly if you have a car.
A few bus services run through the town from the main station to housing areas and along Plymouth Road and Whitchurch Road, but the town centre is very small so can be walked easily.
Specific sights are not part of the town's appeal, it's just a thoroughly pleasant market town with good shops in a fine position.
- The Pannier Market In the centre of the town, full of interesting stalls during the daytime.
- The Viaduct Above the town, is also the start of a pleasant walk along the old railway line.
- 1 Morwellham Quay. 4 mi (6.4 km) to the west of Tavistock is a living history site featuring a mine, craft centre, port, brewery and railway. Adults £10.95; over 60, disabled and carers £9.95; children 3-16 years £8.95; children under 3 years old free; family (2 adults, 2 children) £34.95.
- 2 Lydford Gorge, Lydford, EX20 4BH (10 miles south of Tavistock), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. A 1.5 mile (2.4 km) long gorge. Owned and maintained by the National Trust
- 3 St Michael de Rupe Church, South Brentor, Brentor, PL19 0LP. A 12th Century church that sits atop of the tor overlooking Dartmoor.
There aren't a lot of activities in Tavistock, as it is a small town.
- 1 Tavistock Wharf, 3 Canal Rd, PL19 8AR, ☏ . M-Sa: 10AM-4:30PM, Su: Closed. Holds fairly regular music events and shows films – based near Plymouth Road.
- 2 Meadowlands Swimming Pool, The Wharf, PL19 8SP, ☏ . A swimming pool, based in the same area too.
Goosey Fair takes place every second Wednesday of October and takes over the town with fairground rides, stalls and various events.
- Pannier Market. The town's market offers local goods and there is a weekly farmer's market along with various other events offering local produce. Country Cheeses, in the Pannier Market, is highly recommended for stocking up on local cheeses.
There are small restaurants and takeaways in Tavistock.
Pasties are for sale in various places and are better than those in Cornwall, according to some, though don't say that within earshot of a Cornishman!
- 1 The Cornish Arms, 15 West St, PL19 8AN, ☏ . M-Th: 11AM-11PM, F-Sa: 11AM-midnight, Su: noon-10:30PM. A friendly pub near the centre of the town.
- 2 Jack Chams, 17-18 West St, PL19 8AN, ☏ . M-Th: 1PM-1AM, F: 1PM-1:20AM, Sa: noon-2:20AM, Su: noon-1AM. A rather more trendy venue, located a few doors up the street from the Cornish. Bar upstairs, with a small dancefloor downstairs and a heated outdoor area.
- 3 Trout and Tipple, Parkwood Rd, PL19 0JS, ☏ . M: Closed; Tu-Th: noon-3PM, 6PM-11PM; F-Sa: noon-11PM; Su: noon-10:30PM. A CAMRA award-winning pub on the outskirts of town, but with a nice local feel to it.
- Various Bed and Breakfasts are situated along Plymouth Road.
- 1 The Bedford Hotel, 1 Plymouth Rd, PL19 8BB, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Pet-friendly hotel with free Wi-Fi and a gym. From £70 per night (includes breakfast).
- Browns, 80 West Street.
- 2 The Horn of Plenty, Gulworthy PL19 8JD (off B3362), ☏ . Luxurious Victorian villa on the boundary of Cornwall and Devon, dog-friendly. B&B double £130.
- 3 Hotel Endsleigh, Milton Abbot PL19 0PQ (up Tamar valley), ☏ . Gorgeous Regency sporting lodge with extensive grounds, great for comfort and dining. B&B double £200.
- Moorland Links Hotel, Yelverton, Near Plymouth, PL20 6DA, ☏ . Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 11AM. A well-located hotel for Dartmoor holidays situated as it is on the edge of Dartmoor National Park. Set in 9 acres of beautiful grounds with views across the Tamar Valley. From £40.
- 4 Tor Cottage, Chillaton, Lifton PL16 0JE, ☏ . Charming stylish B&B with five rooms up a bosky valley. With heated pool. Open Feb to mid-Dec, no children under 15, assistance dogs only. B&B double £130.
- Tavistock House Hotel, 50 Plymouth Rd PL19 8BU, ☏ . Smart, spotless hotel with six rooms in 1850 townhouse. No children under 9 or dogs. B&B double £110.
The road to Princetown provides great Moorland scenery all the way and passes the Dartmoor Inn at Merrivale.
A number of villages listed under Dartmoor are within easy access.
Brentor is a small village near Tavistock with a picturesque church on the top of a hill.