Tetbury is a small market town in Gloucestershire famous for its Royal connections as the home of Prince Charles. It has a wide choice of tea shops, bistros, cafes, pubs and restaurants serving delicious local produce.
By car it is 11 miles north of the M4.
- 1 Market House. Built in 1665.
- 2 Chavenage House, GL8 8XP, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. May to September (2018): 2-5PM. Elizabethan manor house that offers guided tours. Adult £10, child £5 (cash only).
- 3 Chipping Steps. Medieval cobbled steps and workers' houses.
- 4 Tetbury Police Museum & Courtroom, 63 Long St, GL8 8AA, ☏ .
- 5 Highgrove House and Gardens, Doughton. Residence of Charles, Prince of Wales, and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall,
- 6 Westonbirt Arboretum, GL8 8QS, ☏ . Planted in the mid-19th century, one of the finest tree collections in the world.
- Heritage Trail (signboards and plaques around the town). Walk around the town noting the many historic and listed buildings.
- Tetbury Woolsack Race: . A run up Gumstool Hill (an extremely steep street) in late May with a sack full of wool with the added benefit of a street fair, entertainers, amusement rides, and food vendors. (date needs fixing)
There are a good number of antique shops in the town, mainly on Long Street.
- 1 Highgrove Shop, 10 Long St, ☏ . An upmarket souvenir store; all proceeds go towards the Prince of Wales' charitable foundations.
- 2 Tetbury Sweets & Treats, 25 Church St, ☏ .
- 3 House of Cheese, 13 Church St, ☏ .
The Royal Oak, Priory Inn and Hare & Hounds mentioned below also serve good food. On Church street you will find a couple of coffee shops and bakeries.
- 1 Hall's Quality Bakers, 4 Chipping St, ☏ .
- 2 Stargazy Fish Bar, London Rd, ☏ .
- 3 The Snooty Fox Hotel, Market Pl, ☏ .
- Royal Oak, 1 Cirencester Rd, GL8 8EY, ☏ . A grade II listed CAMRA award winning pub with a good choice of ales, beers and a small garden.
- 1 Cottage in the Cotswolds, 26 Silver Street, ☏ . Luxury 4-star, 2-bedroom self-catering cottage in the Cotswolds.
- 2 The Priory Inn, London Rd, ☏ . Excellent little gastropub.
- 3 The Hare and Hounds Hotel, Westonbirt, ☏ .
- 4 The Royal Oak Tetbury, 1 Cirencester Rd, ☏ . Pub with a few rooms. Excellent quality, if a little small, rooms. Good choice of real ales in the pub but not real biscuits in the rooms. Friendly staff.
- Tourist Information Centre, 33 Church Street, ☏ . M-Sa 10AM-4PM.