Tetbury is a small market town in Gloucestershire famous for its Royal connections as the home of Prince Charles. It has a wide choice of tea shops, bistros, cafes, pubs and restaurants serving delicious local produce.
By car it is 11 miles north of the M4.
- 1 Market House. Built in 1665.
- 2 Chavenage House, GL8 8XP, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. May to September (2018): 2-5PM. Elizabethan manor house that offers guided tours. Adult £10, child £5 (cash only).
- 3 Chipping Steps. Medieval cobbled steps and workers' houses.
- 4 Tetbury Police Museum & Courtroom, 63 Long St, GL8 8AA, ☏ .
- 5 Highgrove House and Gardens, Doughton. Residence of Charles, Prince of Wales, and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall,
- 6 Westonbirt Arboretum, GL8 8QS, ☏ . Planted in the mid-19th century, one of the finest tree collections in the world.
- Heritage Trail (signboards and plaques around the town). Walk around the town noting the many historic and listed buildings.
- Tetbury Woolsack Race: 31 May 2021. Held on the late May Monday holiday, this is a 240 yard run up the 1-in-4 Gumstool Hill with a sack of wool. The sack weighs 60 lb for men and 35 lb for women, and the record time is 45.94 sec. There's also a street fair, entertainers, amusement rides, and food vendors.
There are a good number of antique shops in the town, mainly on Long Street.
- 1 Highgrove Shop, 10 Long St, ☏ . An upmarket souvenir store; all proceeds go towards the Prince of Wales' charitable foundations.
- 2 Tetbury Sweets & Treats, 25 Church St, ☏ .
- 3 House of Cheese, 13 Church St, ☏ .
The Royal Oak, Priory Inn and Hare & Hounds mentioned below also serve good food. On Church street you will find a couple of coffee shops and bakeries.
- 1 Hall's Quality Bakers, 4 Chipping St, ☏ .
- 2 Stargazy Fish Bar, London Rd, ☏ .
- 3 The Snooty Fox Hotel, Market Pl, ☏ .
- Royal Oak is a CAMRA award winning pub with a good choice of ales, beers and a small garden; see "Sleep".
- 1 Holford Arms, Sherston GL8 8QY (on A433), ☏ . M-F 16:00-23:00, Sa Su 11:30-23:30. Country pub set in a cider orchard, good pizza and bar food. Also has rooms, B&B double £90.
- 1 Cottage in the Cotswolds, 26 Silver Street, ☏ . Luxury 4-star, 2-bedroom self-catering cottage in the Cotswolds.
- 2 The Priory Inn, London Rd, ☏ . Excellent little gastropub.
- 3 The Hare and Hounds, Bath Rd, Westonbirt GL8 8QL, ☏ . Beautiful upscale hotel with fine dining. B&B double from £130.
- 4 The Royal Oak, 1 Cirencester Rd GL8 8EY, ☏ . Pub with a few rooms, given a major makeover in 2013. Excellent quality, though small rooms. Good choice of real ales in the pub. Friendly staff. B&B double £100.
- 5 Calcot & Spa, Tetbury GL8 8YJ (by jcn A4135 and A46), ☏ . Wonderful hotel and spa in 16th C manor house, family-friendly. B&B double from £220.
- Tourist Information Centre, 33 Church Street, ☏ . M-Sa 10AM-4PM.