Tama (多摩市) is a western suburban city in Tokyo prefecture.
Tama is a sprawling place, but the central, citylike bit of it is, appropriately enough, known as Tama Center (多摩センター), and Tama's three train/monorail lines all converge here.
One of the first things you see on arrival at Tama Center train station is a glowing sign proclaiming "Tama is Hello Kitty's Town". Although there is more to Tama, getting up-close-and-personal with Sanrio's signature feline is the main draw for visitors to this suburban area of Tokyo.
The Keio and Odakyu private railways operate out of Shinjuku Station. Using either of these lines, you can reach Tama in about 40 minutes.
On the Keio line (¥330), take a Rapid (kaisoku; 快速) or Express (kyūkō; 急行) train bound for Hashimoto, and get off at Keio Tama Center (京王多摩センター). These trains generally leave from Shinjuku every 10 minutes during most of the day, with departures alternating between the main Keio platforms, and the adjacent Toei Shinjuku Line platforms. (Toei Shinjuku Line trains merge with the Keio line at Sasazuka.)
On the Odakyu line (¥360), the stop for Tama is, appropriately, Odakyu Tama Center (小田急多摩センター). You'll need to change to a Tama Line train at Shin-Yurigaoka (新百合ヶ丘).
The Tama Toshi Monorail is less useful, but connects to the JR Chuo Line at Tachikawa.
- Tama Zoo. Like its better-known counterpart in Ueno, this park is run by the Tokyo municipal government. While it's not spectacularly large, the conditions seem more humane than at the older Ueno Zoo, which many western visitors find downright depressing. Directly across the street from the entrance to the Tama Zoo is a small train museum, including a very large model train set. No charge.Tama zoo is not in Tama city, but Hino city.
- . A major shopping center, and if you're this far from central Tokyo, it's probably worth your while to do some shopping here before making a special trip all the way to Shinjuku or Ginza. As Tama Center has become a major destination for residents of western Tokyo, it's grown from a big lifeless mall to a local landmark. Musicians, jugglers and other performers often play at the station, and the mall is illuminated for Christmas from November 6th to the New Year.
- WARNER MYCAL CINEMAS Tama Center.
- Tama Chuo Koen. A park with a lot of nature and a pretty big pond. It's nice to see people reading books, talking, and sitting on the grass.
- Sanrio Puroland, 1-3 Ochiai Tama city (5 minutes walk from Tama center staition), ☎ . M-F 10AM-8PM, Sa 10AM-5PM. A theme park dedicated to Hello Kitty and her cute clones. Adult (18+) ¥4,000, youth (12-17) ¥3,700, junior (4-11) ¥3,000.
- Yomiuri land, 4015-1 Yanokuchi Inagi City, ☎ . An amusement park.
- Gokurakuyu (極楽湯).
There is a local radio station called FM-Tama. You can get local information on Tama.
Visit a department store called Mitsukoshi. This department store is famous for its long-standing prestige. There are branches of Mitsukoshi throughout Japan.
Go to a cake shop Grand Cru. Their Cream-filled Rolled Sponge Cake is really popular. 840 yen for one cake.
You will see a lot of people lining up to get this delicious cake!!
It takes ten minutes from station, shopping mall CROSS GARDEN TAMA appear. It built this April, you can buy miscellaneous goods, clothes, furnitures, accessories and more! Some restaurant are in the shopping mall too.
Tama has plenty of fastfood and chain restaurants: two Wendy's, three of chain restaurant called "Saizeria", two of the same coffee shops, and two of the same kind of soba restaurants.
Eat Hawaiian food (Roco-Moco and more.) at this good Hawaiian restaurant. It is about 5 minutes walk from Keio Tama Center station.
Eat India curry at "Masala", it is in shopping mall "The Square" near Seiseki-Sakuragaoka station.
- TenTen, Ochiai 1-7-12, ☎ . M-Sa 5PM-1AM, Su 5PM-11PM. Including food and drinks, the average cost is ¥2,500.
- Hananomai, Ochiai 1-8-1, ☎ . M-Th 4PM-1AM, F-Sa 4PM-3AM. A Japanese izakaya chain. Including food and drinks, the average cost is ¥2,700.
- Uotami, Magurebu Building 4F, Ochiai 1-39-2, ☎ . Daily 5PM-5AM.
- Syouya, Yamanote Building 2F-3F, Ochiai 1-9-6, ☎ . 5PM-4AM.
- Alo Alo (Next to Denny's on Tama New Town Street.). A Hawaiian bar.
- Keio Plaza Hotel Tama Center. A high-end hotel chain with mediocre service.