Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1 Turangi i-SITE Visitor Information Centre, 1 Ngawaka Pl (adjacent to Volcanic Activity Centre), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Oct to mid-Jun daily 9AM-5PM, mid-Jun-Sep daily 8:30AM-4:30PM.
- Mountain Shuttle, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. A shuttle from Ketetahi (the finishing point of the Tongariro Alpine Crossing) back to Mangatepopo (the starting point) for those who parked at Mangatepopo. Adult $35, child $25.
- Turangi Alpine Shuttles, ☏ , toll-free: . Shuttle to each end of the Tongariro Alpine Crossing.
- 1 Tongariro National Trout Centre, 257 State Highway 1 (3 km south of town, on the Tongariro River Trail), ☏ . Daily 10AM-4PM. Freshwater aquarium and flyfishing museum. Also a creche for young endangered whio (blue duck) for Dec-Mar approx. Adults $15, under 16 free.
- 2 Volcanic Activity Centre, 1 Ngawaka Pl (cnr Ohuanga Rd). Daily 9AM-4PM. Adults $12, children 5-15 $7.
- Tongariro River Trail. Walk or mountain bike. It's 15 km in total, but you can walk just parts of it. You can start it at i-SITE Visitor Information Centre. Tongariro National Trout Centre is on the route.
- Trout fishing. Turangi is mostly famous for the Tongariro River, which runs through it. It provides excellent fishing all year round (but particularly during August-October) for rainbow (steelhead) and brown trout.
- Walking, climbing and (in season) skiing in nearby Tongariro National Park
- 1 Hydro Eatery, cnr Ohuanga Rd & Pihanga St, ☏ . Daily 8AM-3PM. Cafe.
- 2 RUST Licensed Gourmet Burger Bar, Shop 6, 56 Turangi Town Centre, ☏ . Th-Sa 7AM-11PM, Su & W 7AM-9PM.
- 3 Turangi Tavern, 17 Ohuanga Rd, ☏ . Daily 11AM-11PM. Pretty good pub food.
- 1 Riverstone Backpackers, 222 Te Rangitautahanga Rd, ☏ . Purpose-built 18-person character backpackers, which also offers Tongariro Alpine Crossing Transport. Set amongst native gardens with new kitchen, open-plan living area and huge sun deck. Heaters in all bedrooms, blankets, full laundry facilities and always-hot showers. Log-burning fire, fully insulated building and windows double-glazed. BBQ, hammocks, walk-in drying room, and specialised gear storage facilities for snow and fishing gear. Fast Internet, Skype and laptop access. Beds from $30, rooms from $66.
- 2 Turangi Kiwi Holiday Park, 13 Te Reiti Tamara Grove (off Ohuanga Rd), ☏ . Motel unit, cabins and campsites.
- National Park Village
- Taupo, the bigger town at the northern end of the lake
- Tongariro National Park