Upington Airport boasts the longest runway on the African continent at 4900 meters.
- 1 Upington Airport (UTN IATA) (is situated near the city). offers flights to some major towns in South Africa.
Take the N7 from Cape Town and join the N14 at Springbok to go to Upington. When coming from the Eastern Cape, take the N10 starting near Port Elizabeth. Travellers from the East of South Africa can go via the N14 from Johannesburg and the Gauteng province. When coming from Bloemfontein or Kimberley use the N12 and N1 westwards, until it crosses the N10.
There are no longer any scheduled passenger trains to or from Upington.
The train station is at the end of Morant Street, north of the cemetery.
As with most of South Africa, it is best get about by hired car.
The city is not very spectacular, but a typical medium-sized country town.
- Camel and Rider statue, Schreuder Street, in front of the police station. A statue in recognition of the way law enforcement in this vast dry area was done in the past; by camel mounted police.
- Donkey statue, Schreuder Street. Donkeys were often employed to pump water in this dry place. Donkeys were so important in this area that they were awarded a statue in recognition for all the work they did. Even today you will see many people still using donkey carts as their primary transportation.
- Kalahari Orange Museum, ☏ . M-F 9AM-12:30PM and 2PM-5PM; Sa 9AM-noon. Information and exhibitions detailing the history of the area.
- Date palm avenue -- At the entrance to Die Eiland has more than 200 palm trees lining its 1-km length
- The Hortentia Windmill
- Dutch reformed church
- Grave of Scotty Smith
- [dead link] Oranje River Wine Cellars Co-Operation, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. The biggest cooperative in South Africa and the second biggest in the world. Wine tasting can be arranged for you, however most of the grapes are not used for wine production, but exported to Europe as grapes and raisins.
- Spitskop nature reserve (13 km north of the town on the R360), ☏ . Around 40 km of drivable gravel roads, 3 hiking trails a telescope on a hill for distant game viewing. Many mammals, no carnivores.
- Kalahari kuierfees
- [dead link] Upington Directory, 81 Wildebeest. Find any business in Upington.
- 1 [dead link] Ultra Gas & Barbecue (Ultragas), 65 Schroder street Upington, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 8AM to 5PM. Upington and its surrounding areas are known for their avid carp and cat fishing. For the right gear and bait you need to visit this store. They also provide great advice and if you are lucky they might give you the hot current fishing spot locations.
It offers a number of shopping malls and stores.
- Arabesque Coffee Shop, ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Please book for groups.
- Sakkie se Arkie. The name literally translates to Sakkie's little ark (as in Noahs' Ark). A floating bar on the Orange River.
- La Bohème, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. A five-star guesthouse a few minutes outside town. It is a good place to relax and let yourself get treated. From R500 per night..