Jump to navigation Jump to search
Upton-upon-Severn (or Upton-on-Severn) is a small town and civil parish in the Malvern Hills District of Worcestershire, England, on the River Severn.
According to the national census in 2011, it had a population of 2,881. Located 5 miles (8.0 km) from Malvern, the bridge at Upton is the only one across the river Severn between Worcester and Tewkesbury. The present bridge was built in 1940. Upton was founded in 897. Oliver Cromwell's soldiers crossed the Severn here before the Battle of Worcester in the English Civil War.
Upton is the hometown of former British racing driver, Nigel Mansell.
- 1 The Old Belltower (The Pepperpot), Church St, WR8 0HT. The only surviving remnant of a former church is a distinctive tower and copper-clad cupola, in which the local Tourist Information Office is located.
- 2 [dead link] The Tudor House Museum, 16-18 Church St, WR8 0HT, ☏ +44 1684 438820.
- Stroll the main streets and river bank for an hour or so. Quite picturesque.
- Upton Blues Festival is next held 21-23 July 2023, with the campsite available 19-25 July.
- Sunshine Music Festival is held over the August Bank Holiday weekend on Fish Meadow east bank of the river. The next is probably 25-28 Aug 2023, tbc.
- 1 White Lion Hotel, 21 High St, WR8 0HJ, ☏ +44 1684 592551.
Upton has 4G from all UK carriers. As of June 2022, 5G has not reached town.
- Malvern - if heading northwest
- Tewkesbury - if heading south
|Routes through Upton-upon-Severn|
|Birmingham ← Worcester ←||N S||→ Tewkesbury → Cheltenham|
|Ross-on-Wye ← Ledbury ←||W E||→ END|
|Worcester ←||N S||→ Tewkesbury → Gloucester|