To help get you started contributing, we've created a tips for new contributors page, full of helpful links about policies and guidelines and style, as well as some important information on copyleft and basic stuff like how to edit a page.
If you are a Wikipedian then you may notice some differences in policies and the style of our articles. These include:
- NPOV → be fair (not quite the same thing!)
- be bold → plunge forward
- Village pump → travellers' pub
- External links → We do not use a separate external links section, but incorporate primary links only into the text itself.
- sandbox → graffiti wall
- stub notes → Article status notes
It may also be very useful for you to check out Wikivoyage:Welcome, Wikipedians. If you need help, take a look at Project:Help, or else post a message in the travellers' pub or on my talk page. Thanks for contributing! JamesA >talk 02:25, 14 November 2012 (UTC)
- Hi Peter, you're welcome. They aren't really my images, but I thought they helped brighten up the article. No, I'm not a diver - I've only done a little snorkeling. I see you were in NZ just a couple of months ago. I hope you had a good time here. Cheers, Avenue (talk) 10:16, 22 January 2013 (UTC)
Hi Avenue, I see that you fixed up the thumbnail appearance of File:South_island_regions.svg. I was wondering if you could explain how you got the text to display properly and resized the bounding box. I know how to create the Wikivoyage-style maps, but I'm pretty much a novice at anything else with Inkscape. Cheers -Shaundd (talk) 06:31, 24 January 2013 (UTC)
- Hi Shaun, I'm afraid I don't know much about Inkscape either. I resized the bounding box by selecting the relevant area (by just clicking off in the sea somewhere), going to "File|Document properties...", expanding the "Resize size to content..." section of the resulting dialog box, then clicking on the "Resize page to drawing or selection" button. (This is under Ubuntu; I don't know if the interface is different in other operating systems.)
- The text didn't display properly because it was in a flowRegion, a SVG 1.2 feature supported by Inkscape but not by MediaWiki's rendering engine (librsvg). This is a longstanding issue; you can read more about it at commons:Commons:Graphics village pump/July 2007#Another SVG problem: What am I doing wrong? and w:Wikipedia:SVG help#Missing objects or black boxes. Selecting each text field and going to "Text|Convert to Text" seemed to fix the problem here. I hope this helps. Cheers, Avenue (talk) 12:08, 24 January 2013 (UTC)
WV/WT edits histogram
Hello Avenue! Very nice graph at ! How did you create it? Could you please make the script open source? That's exactly what I was trying to achieve. I would tweak it a bit to remove reversions and such. Thanks a lot! Nicolas1981 (talk) 06:27, 22 March 2013 (UTC)
- Hi Nicolas, I've put the R code for the graphs up on commons:File talk:Graph comparing article edits on Wikivoyage and Wikitravel.svg. Feel free to tweak away. I've also added my data files on github and sent you a pull request. (I've been meaning to do that for quite a while!) --Avenue (talk) 16:05, 23 March 2013 (UTC)