To help get you started contributing, we've created a tips for new contributors page, full of helpful links about policies and guidelines and style, as well as some important information on copyleft and basic stuff like how to edit a page. If you need help, check out Help, or post a message in the travellers' pub. If you are familiar with Wikipedia, take a look over some of the differences here. Also, thanks for starting Pad van Ad. --ϒpsilon (talk) 17:18, 22 April 2014 (UTC)
Eight days in the Heart of Russia
Hi there! I have a suggestion regarding Zuid-Dijleland: The parent region of Dijleland does not have an article, and doesn't yet need one because the parent region of Flemish Brabant only contains 5 cities so far and thus does not yet need subdivision of any kind, so, instead of creating this as a region article, what if you create it as an itinerary article? Using a different article title of course, focusing on the trail network, which seems to have been your main reason for starting the article anyway. What do you think? Texugo (talk) 12:54, 7 May 2014 (UTC)
- Hi Texugo,
- I was planning to work my way up. I was thinking to add POIs to this article. The surface of that network seemed like a reasonable area for adding them. The ones I added at the moment are the ones from Ad's Path itinerary, but I was just getting started.
- In the article about Dijleland, I had planned to mention the numbered bicycle node network. Those regions are what touristic services are using and it seems to make sense to me.
- The province of Vlaams-Brabant has a very odd shape and is a bit too large to be practical. Maybe it would have made more sense if I had tackled it top-down? But I don't like to create skeleton articles. Also, it's not about the cities, but about the areas in between. --Polyglot (talk) 13:22, 7 May 2014 (UTC)
- Sorry, not sure if I understood your opinion on whether to change Zuid-Dijleland to an itinerary article, but it definitely should not remain as a region article right now. Our hierarchical region Flemish Brabant is not currently subdivided into any smaller regions and very likely should not be at this point, since we only have five city articles under it. There's no reason to make smaller subdivisions when the larger ones are not even close to full, so we don't need a Dijleland article or a Zuid-Dijleland article or any of those others yet, understand? However, you might make a different itinerary article about the Zuid-Dijleland walking network, and put the map and POIs your are talking about in that article instead. Texugo (talk) 13:40, 7 May 2014 (UTC)
- It doesn't make sense to turn it into an itinerary article, as it's about the region and not the network of routes/itineraries. Let's call the existence of this network a coincidence. So please delete the Zuid-Dijleland article. I'll add the POIs to Ad's Path and be done with it. The province of Vlaams-Brabant is oddly shaped. I can't tell anything about Halle or the Pajottenland (which was not a red link, BTW). From Leuven it's easier to get to Mechelen or Herentals in Antwerpen province or even to Wavre in Walloon Brabant than to travel to Antwerpen, because of the traffic blocker which is Brussels.
- What I do know about are the regions Dijleland and Hageland, so that's what I would like to create articles about. I don't think the POIs I want to add should go in an article about Vlaams-Brabant. It wouldn't take long before there will be way too many, even when it's a smaller province of a small country. All this probably has something to do with the kind of tourist I am myself. I travel by bicycle or on horseback and then the scale of a province is just too big, I guess. Also, when traveling, I'm not really interested in the cities, I prefer the countryside and I had hoped to be able to refer couchsurfers and the like to what's interesting in the region. --Polyglot (talk) 16:57, 7 May 2014 (UTC)
- Keep in mind, listings for POIs are not supposed to go in region articles in the first place - if they are in the countryside, the proper place to list them is in the article for the nearest city. Perhaps your knowledge of the region could best be employed in creating articles for the towns of the region? Texugo (talk) 17:14, 7 May 2014 (UTC)
Just wanted to let you know that I've nominated Ad's Path for Featured Travel Topic. The article still needs a little polishing and as you're the main editor of the article you might have something to add to it too. ϒpsilon (talk) 07:24, 27 July 2014 (UTC)