- 1 Älvdalen is norternmost part of Dalarna and Svealand.
- 2 Malung is a forested municipality which contains Sälen.
- 3 Vansbro
- 4 Sälen in Malung municipality is one of Sweden's busiest ski resorts.
- 5 Idre, a ski resort in Älvdalen municipality
The settlements in western Dalarna are few and far between. While most of the forests are used for logging, the region is great to see Eurasian fauna including bears, elks and deer.
Driving is the most practical mode of transport in the region. Public transportation is scarcer than in the more populated parts of Dalarna.
- 1 . An airport opened in 2019, useful for transit to Hedmark in Norway as well.
- Regional Dalatrafik buses 
- Combined travel train and bus, usually change in Borlänge or Mora. See  sj.se
- See also: Winter in the Nordic countries
Västerdalarna is mostly visited for outdoor life and winter sport. The region has several alpine resorts, and contains the starting points of two legs in the Swedish Classic Circuit: The Vansbro Swim in Vansbro, and Vasaloppet in Sälen.
Cold weather and winter conditions are concerns here, well into April and May.