Verona is on the southern edge of the Canadian Shield, surrounded by dozens of lakes that attract fishing and boating enthusiasts, including Rock Lake, Howe's Lake, Eagle Lake, Bob's Lake, and Desert Lake.
The rest European settlers arrived around 1821. They had a difficult time getting to the village because of the deplorable road conditions. The travellers would have to cross the Cameron Bog, a 5,000-acre swamp. Verona was once known as Buzztown, because of the many saw and grist mills.
Verona became a centre of commerce, as it was the only crossing place over the Cameron Bog.
Verona is accessed by Highway 38. Kingston is a half-hour drive and Ottawa is 2 hours away by car.
There is no bus or train.
The nearest airports are in Kingston (regional) and Ottawa (international).
Verona is small enough to walk around, but you will need a car to explore the region.
- South Frontenac Museum, 5595 Road 38, Hartington, ☏ . Jul-Aug: Sa Su W 1-4PM. An extensive collection of artifacts and records related to the 146th Battalion of the Canadian Expeditionary Force, a battalion created to recruit soldiers from Frontenac, and Lennox and Addington. Supporting displays illustrate the contribution of women to the war effort. There are also exhibits of tools and other items used on the home front. By donation.
- Verona has a beautiful beach area with summer swimming lessons, parks to play in, hiking trails and a beautiful countryside.
- K & P Trail. A 20-km section of the former Kingston & Pembroke Railway line, the "Kick and Push", is open from Verona south to the Kingston township line as a gravel trail. Maps are available from the County.
- 1 Verona Car Show, Verona Lions Club Centre, 4504 Verona Sand Rd. Second weekend in August. Show for classic production and modified cars and trucks, with 24 classes. $10 per vehicle.
Verona has a post office, grocery store, drug store, restaurants, gas station, convenience stores, liquor store, and a hardware store.
- Frontenac Farmers Market, Harrowsmith (10 km south of Verona on County Road 38). Mid-May to end of Oct: Sa 9AM-2PM.
- 1 Foodland, 6145 Hwy. 38. M-W 8AM-7PM, Th F 8AM-8PM, Sa 8AM-6PM, Su 9AM-6PM. Neighbourhood grocery store, with hot deli counter.
- 2 Mom Restaurant, 6775 Road 38. Local restaurant which opened in 1982.
- 3 Local Family Farms, 6674 Road 38. M-F 9AM-6PM, Sa 9AM-5PM. Farm shop with local and packaged groceries. Lunch room cafe open May - Dec 11AM-3PM.
- 1 Desert Lake Resort (Water Place Inn), 2466 Desert Lake Rd, Hartington (12 km east of Verona along Desert Lake Road (#19)). Campground, motel with 10 "efficiency units" and cabins. Boat launching facilities with a small marina. Campsite convenience store. Inn $129, camping $36.