The city was first mentioned in 815 (and therefore celebrated its 1200th birthday in 2015). The old town (city centre) is well preserved and features buildings from the early middle ages until the late baroque era.
- 1 Tourist information (Gästeamt), Bindstraße 10, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Mon-Fri 09:00-17:00. Between Jun-Sep (summer) additionally Sat 10:00-13:00. Sun closed. Tickets for local events can be purchased there as well.
The train station which is served by regional trains is within walking distance of the city center.
The old town (central area) which is of most interest to tourists is very small and best explored on foot.
There are eight local bus (Stadtbus) routes to connect to various parts of the entire city. Free Wi-Fi on board.
- 1 City Hall (Rathaus). The oldest parts of the city hall are from the Staufen era (around 11-13th century). In 1721 the Baroque facade which you can see from the market square was added.
- 2 Martinstor (Lindauer Tor).
- 3 Frauentor (Ravensburger Tor).
- 1 Public Swimming Pool Stefanshöhe, Burgelitz 15 (Take bus no 6). An open-air public swimming pool.
- 2 Ice Rink.
- Altstadtkonzerte Wangen. A concert series which invites national and international musicians. Usually six concerts per season.
- 3 Minigolf, Scherrichmühlweg.
- 1 Weekly Market. Apr-Sep: Wed 07:00-13:00. Oct-Mar: Wed 08:00-13:00. The weekly market takes place every Wednesday and offers products from the region including vegetables, fruits, cheese, fish, strong spirits (Obstler), and a lot more. It covers the entire pedestrianized area (including Marktplatz, Postplatz, Herrenstraße).
- 2 Käsestube Wangen, Bindstraße 51, ☎ . Specialty cheese shop which sells cheese from the region.
- 1 Fidelisbäck, Paradiesstraße 3. Bakery with great bread, as well as savoury and sweet snacks. They are well-known for selling Leberkäse which comes from the local butcher Joos. The history of this bakery can be traced back to 1505. They also have a traditional restaurant serving local dishes which is adjacent to the bakery. Outside seating area in summer.
- 2 Ristorante Romantica, Karlstraße 20. Mon closed. Family-run Italian restaurant with very good pasta and pizza. Their Tiramisu is home-made. In summer there is an outside seating area opposite of the restaurant.
- 1 Eiscafe Capri, Herrenstraße 30. Tue closed. Closed in winter (end of Sept till end of Feb). Very good self-made ice cream.
- 2 The Craft-Beer-Bar-Allgäu, Herrenstraße 16, ☎ . Tue-Sat 18:00-01:00, Sun-Mon closed. They have 8 taps and sell their own beer made in the Eisenharz brewery (Eisenharzer Brauhaus). Food is served until 23:30.
- 1 Mohrenpost, Herrenstraße 27.
- 2 Hotel Allgovia, Scherrichmühlweg 15, ☎ .
- 3 Hotel Garni Am Engelberg, Leutkircher Straße 47, ☎ .
- 4 Haus Waltersbühl, Max Fischer Straße 4, ☎ .
- 5 Farny-Hotel, Dürren 1, Kißlegg, ☎ .