Wellfleet is in Massachusetts on Cape Cod and includes the village of South Wellfleet. Its name is believed to be derived from "whale fleet". A quaint rural feel exists to Wellfleet. Over 60% of the land area is protected by the Cape Cod National Seashore, which has its headquarters here, and also by the 1,100 acre (4.45 km²) Massachusetts Audubon Society Wildlife Sanctuary. Wellfleet is blessed with a number of spring-fed freshwater "kettle ponds" that resulted from glacier activity. Its beautiful, working harbor is near the town center, making for a delightful walk in a nautical atmosphere complete with good dining, shopping and photographic opportunities. Gone are the days of a great whaling and fishing fleet, but Wellfleet retains its reputation for great tasting shellfish, particularly "Wellfleet Oysters".
Wellfleet is about 50–55 minutes from the Cape Cod Canal in Bourne via Route 6.
- From Boston take I-93 south to Route 3 south to the Sagamore Bridge (Becomes Rt. 6).
- From Providence or points south take I-95 north to I-195 to Route 25 south to the Bourne Bridge (I-495 also becomes Route 25). At the rotary (traffic circle) on the Cape side, go almost all the way around and travel along the Canal to Route 6 east.
- Plymouth & Brockton Street Railway, 17 Elm Av., Hyannis, +1 508-771-6191, .
- The Flex, Hyannis Transportation Center, Hyannis, Regional Transit Authority Customer Service: +1-800-352-7155; TTY for Deaf and Hearing Impaired: +1 508-385-4163, . Service between Mid Cape and Outer Cape towns.
- Most travelers would fly into Boston's Logan International Airport (BOS), , or Warwick, Rhode Island's T.F. Greene Airport (PVD),  near Providence.
- Cape Air, +1-800-352-0714, . Regional airline serving nearby Hyannis, and also Provincetown, Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket. They also service the off cape cities of Boston, Providence (seasonal), and New Bedford.
- Cape Cod National Seashore, off Route 6.
- Wellfleet Drive-In Theatre, ☎ . Route 6, Eastham-Wellfleet line. Age 12-61: $8.00, Seniors 62+: $5.00, Children 4-11: $5.00, Children 3 & under: Free. Only Drive-in theater on Cape Cod. Flea Market on weekends (and Wednesday and Thursday during the summer). Nice little Mini-Golf with snack counter.
- Uncle Tim's Bridge, E. Commercial Street (Route 6 East. Left onto Main Street and then Left on E. Commercial Street. A new parking area for 12 cars makes this site more accessible, Uncle Tim's Bridge is a boardwalk over a tidal marsh close to the Wellfleet harbor. It is the subject of countless paintings, photographs, and postcards. The bridge leads to hiking trails around the salt marsh. $Free.
- Pleasant Point Town Landing, Pleasant Point Road (Route 6 East to Way 112 (The sign reads Paine Hollow Road.) Bear left onto Paine Hollow Road to Pleasant Point Road. Note - Way 112 is a half moon loop – if you miss the left onto Paine Hollow – it will loop you back onto Route 6! Limited parking.) At low tide you can walk through and explore the tidal flats. At high tide you can launch your boat or wind surf through the marsh into the harbor. $Free (but permit required for boaters and wind surfers. Must see Wellfleet Harbormaster)
- Wellfleet Preservation Hall, Main Street (downtown, 150 yards north of Town Hall). A beautifully restored 1910 church, now a community center. Hosts events year-round in the 2 halls preserved from the church - the upstairs sanctuary and the downstairs theater.
Be sure to see the heron sculpture on the cupola, the stained glass windows and the sculpted and painted wood doors. Architects, Landscape Architects - Hadley Crow Studio (Orleans, MA.)
- Wellfleet Town Marina, Commercial Street (Route 6 East. Left onto Main Street and then Left on E. Commercial Street which turns into Commercial Street.)
- Griffin Island
- The sunken pirate ship called the Whydah Gally
- Wellfleet Bay Wildlife Sanctuary, 291 State Hwy, ☎ . (Route 6), South Wellfleet.
- Hours: Nature Center: June-Oct 12: Open every day, 8:30AM-5PM Oct 13-May 31 Tu-Su 8:30AM-5PM
- Trails: Open every day, 8AM-dusk. Enjoy a naturalist-led bird walk here or listen to an evening lecture. They conduct tours and cruises inside and outside of Wellfleet. Admission: $5/$3.
- Wellfleet Harbor Actors Theater (WHAT), Near the Town Pier, Wellfleet, Phone: +1 508-349-9428, (Gen Info), +1 508-349-9428 (Box Off), .
- Wellfleet OysterFest - Mid October. Main St. Local chowder, shellfish, New England beers and ales, arts and crafts, kids' activities. Wow. See you there! Oct. 13th and 14th, 2007 (7th annual). Free admission. No pets.
- Cape Cod Bicycle Adventures, 2533 State Hwy, toll-free: . Guided bike tours.
- Historical Society Museum, Main St. A taste of Wellfleet's past.
- Jack's Boat Rental, Route 6 and Gull Pond, +1 508-349-9808.
- Bike the Cape Cod Rail Trail, Lecount Hollow Rd. or National Seashore at Marconi area, +1 508 896-3491, . Free parking. This 22 mi (35.4 km) bike trail follows an old railroad bed through several towns. Check their website or call them to check for closures.
- Idle Times Bike Shops, ☎ . Route 6. Rentals, service. Right on the rail trail.
- Wellfleet Beachcomber, 1120 Cahoon Hollow Rd, ☎ . Live music and great food. Perched in the dunes atop Cahoon Hollow Beach in a former lifesaving station.
Town parking permits(TPP) required 3rd Saturday in June to 1st Monday in September(Labor Day) Non-resident: week $60, 2 week $120, season $200.
Ocean side (All off Route 6 to roads shown) All excellent beaches.
- Marconi (National Seashore), Marconi Landing Rd, lifeguard, restrooms, Location of Marconi's first wireless communication from America to Europe.
- Maguire Landing Lecounts Hollow Rd., (Town), TPP, lifeguard, restrooms
- White Crest, TPP or $15, lifeguard, restrooms, food
- Cahoon Hollow, Cahoon Hollow Rd., TPP or $15, lifeguard, restrooms, food
- Newcomb Hollow, Gross Hill Rd. to Ocean View Dr., lifeguard, restrooms, food
Bay side (Town parking permit required at all except Mayo)
- Mayo Beach, Commercial St. off Rt. 6, free parking, rest rooms, handicapped accessible.
- Duck Harbor, Take Chequesset Neck Rd. to Duck Harbor Rd., rest rooms.
- Indian Neck, Off Pilgrim Spring Rd., rest rooms.
- Powers Landing, From Main St. take Chequesset Neck Rd, No facilities.
- Burton Baker Beach, No facilities.
Freshwater (Town parking permit required at all)
- Gull Pond, 6 to Gull Pond Rd. Rt., rest rooms.
- Long Pond, 6 to Long Pond Rd. Rt., rest rooms.
- Great Pond, Rt. 6 to Off Cahoon Hollow Rd., rest rooms.
- Duck Pond, rest rooms.
- Kite Gallery, 75 Commercial St, ☎ . Kites, flags, windsocks, toys.
- Wellfleet Marketplace, 295 Main St, ☎ . 7:00 am daily. Grocery store. Fresh meat, produce, fish and dairy. Full deli with bakery, sliced meats and prepared foods. The Marketplace is the community general store with health & beauty aids, housewares, stationary, wine & beer.
- Wellfleet Booksmith, 295 Main St, ☎ . Located in the Wellfleet Marketplace. New Books. Bestsellers, local authors, and all-around interesting reads. Gifts, cards, toys and novelties.
- Blue Heron Gallery, 20 Bank St, ☎ . Excellent!
- Brophy's Fine Art, 313 Main St, ☎ . Year round.
- Cove Gallery, 15 Commercial St, ☎ .
- Davis Gallery, 2766 Route 6, +1 508-349-0549.
- Harmon Gallery, 95 Commercial St, ☎ .
- Jacob Fanning Gallery, 25 Bank St, ☎ .
- Kendall Art Gallery, 40 Main St, ☎ .
- Left-Bank Gallery, 25 Commercial St, ☎ .
- Sandpiper Gallery, Commercial St., +1 508-349-9500.
- Book Store & Restaurant, 50 Kendrick Av, ☎ . Year round - breakfast, lunch, dinner. Upstairs with nice harbor view from their deck. Live entertainment on holiday weekends. Playground right next door for the kids.
- The Wicked Oyster,Main St., +1 508-349-3455.
- The Lighthouse Restaurant, Main St., +1 508-349-3681. Breakfast? It's the blueberry muffins.
- Finely J.P.'s, 554 Route 6, So. Wellfleet, +1 508-349-7500.
- The Wellfleet Beachcomber, Cahoon Hollow Beach, +1 508-349-6055. Quite possibly the best bar on Cape Cod.
- PJ's Family Restaurant, Route 6, +1 508-349-2126.
- Moby Dick's Restaurant, Route 6 (Across from Gulf Pond Rd), +1 508-349-9795, .Open Early May - Columbus Day 11:30AM-10PM, Basic. Seafood, lobsters, burgers.
- Mac's Seafood Market & Grill, ☎ . Town Pier.
- Mac's Shack, Sushi, Raw Bar, Coastal Cuisine, ☎ . 91 Commercial.
- Box Lunch, Briar Lane, +1 508-349-2178.
- Van Rensselaer's Restaurant, Route 6 (opposite Marconi Station), South Wellfleet, +1 508-349-2127, . Voted Cape Cod Life best Breakfast and Family Dining on the Outer Cape 2010. Menu offers seafood, pasta, meats as well as a kids menu. Covered outdoor deck and three indoor dining areas.
- Catch of the Day, 975 Route 6, South Wellfleet. +1 508-349-9090 Zagat Rated
- Russ & Marie's Marconi Beach Restaurant, 545 Route 6, South Wellfleet, +1 508-349-6025. Early April to mid October. Casual. Wood Fire Smoked Ribs, Chicken, Pulled Pork. Full Bar.
- The Wicked Oyster, Main St., +1 508-349-3455.
- The Beachcomber., 1120 Cahoon Hollow Rd, ☎ . Open Memorial day through Labor Day, daily til 1AM. This restaurant/bar is located right on the bluffs in the scenic National Seashore. Sip on your beer while looking out over the Atlantic. Voted “best live entertainment on the lower cape” and “one of the best seaside dining spots in New England”.
- Aunt Sukie's Bed & Breakfast, 123 Chequesett Neck Rd, ☎ , toll-free: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Blue Heron Cove, 260 Blue Heron Rd, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Water/marsh views from every room in this beautiful house. An excellent choice. Two night min. $175–$250.
- Even' Tide Resort Motel & Cottages, ☎ . South Wellfleet, 650 Route 6. Right on the bike trail. Nice facilities.
- Holden Inn, 140 Commercial St, ☎ . Inn, cottage and lodge rooms. Long-time Wellfleet Inn near the village.
- Inn at Duck Creeke, 70 East Main St, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 27 rooms. Winning awards in recent years. Restaurant and Tavern on property.
- Oyster Cove B&B, 20 Partridge Way, ☎ . Wellfleet Luxury suite and studio in spacious home overlooking Wellfleet Harbor.
- Southfleet Motor Inn, ☎ , toll-free: . Route 6, South Wellfleet.
- Surfside Cottages, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Ocean View Drive & Wilson Ave. Charming 18 cottage village. Located steps away from the Cape Cod National Seashore ocean beach. Pets allowed off season with approval. Weekly only during the summer.
- Wellfleet Motel and Lodge, 170 Route 6 South, toll-free: . Check-in: 3:30PM, check-out: 11AM. Heated indoor pool and jacuzzi. Rooms range from:$79 - $165.
- Pretty Penny Vacation Home, 419 Nellie Road, ☎ . Check-in: 3pm, check-out: 10am. Waterview walk to ocean beach vacation rental home. Inside the Cape Cod National Seashore.
- Chez Sven. Very green B&B with separate Seagull Cottage and two rooms in renovated early 18th century Cape Codder, walkable to village center and major ponds, open year round.
- Maurice's Campground, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 80 Route 6. 240 sites.
- Paine's Campground, 180 Old County Rd, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. South Wellfleet. 150 sites.
Remember that traffic is heavy on summer weekends. If leaving on Sunday, try to avoid leaving between noon and 6PM.
|Routes through Wellfleet|
|Provincetown ← Truro ←||N S||→ Eastham → New Bedford|