- For other places with the same name, see Bourne (disambiguation).
Bourne is in Massachusetts on Cape Cod. The Cape Cod Canal runs through it. Bourne includes seven villages: Bournedale, Buzzards Bay, Cataumet, Monument Beach, Pocasset, Sagamore and Sagamore Beach. Bourne, settled in 1637, was incorporated in 1884 (before that it was part of Sandwich). The Bourne village of Buzzards Bay is home to Massachusetts Maritime Academy.
Bourne includes the villages of Bourne Village, Bournedale, Buzzards Bay, Cataumet, Gray Gables, Monument Beach, Pocasset, Sagamore and Sagamore Beach.
- Sagamore Beach - See historic homes from the elevated beach vistas on the mainland side of the Canal.
- Sagamore - On the Cape-side of the Canal, Sagamore used to be home to a thriving car manufacturing company.
- 1 Cape Cod Canal Visitors Center, 60 Ed Moffitt Dr, ☏ +1 508 833-9678. May 1-Oct 29: daily 10AM-5PM. The Cape Cod Canal and its bridges are the most striking features of the Upper Cape and play host to a variety of recreational activities. The canal's primary purpose is to provide safe passage for vessels avoiding the treacherous seas along the outer beaches of Cape Cod. Since 1928 the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has operated the waterway toll free to adequately powered vessels. Every year thousands of visitors come here to enjoy bicycling, walking, fishing, or just watching the ships go by. Free.
Bourne is about 1 hour from Boston and 1 hr 15 min from Providence, RI by highway.
- From Boston take I-93 south.
- From Providence or points south take I-95 north to I-195 to Route 25 south to the Bourne Bridge (I-495 also becomes Route 25).
Bicycling along the two service roads which parallel the canal on each side is possible, although a car is generally preferred.
- Aptucxet Trading Post Museum, 24 Aptucxet Rd, ☏ +1 508 759-9487. The trading post building dates back to at least 1621. A number of historical exhibits and herb and wildflower gardens.
- 1 Briggs-McDermott House (George I. Briggs House), 22 Sandwich Rd, ☏ +1 508 759-6120.
- Jonathan Bourne Historical Center, 30 Keene St, ☏ +1 508 759-8167. M Tu 9AM-2:30PM, W 6:30PM-8:30PM.
- 2 National Marine Life Center, 120 Main St, ☏ +1 508 759-8722. Displays and exhibits about marine life. Free.
- 1 Doran Park (Upper Cape Technical School), 220 Sandwich Rd (At the rotary, go three-quarters of the way around and bear right onto Sandwich Road.). Game time: 6PM. Home of the Bourne Braves, member of the Cape Cod Baseball League.
- Periwinkles Gifts, ☏ +1 508 563-3077. Nestled inside Kingman Marina in the village of Cataumet, Periwinkles offers some Cape Cod-themed gifts, along with a selection of novelty jewelry, accessories, signs, and household items perfect to top off any Cape Cod visit. Look for this shop immediately to the left of the main parking lot when you enter the yacht center.
- Pairpoint Glass Company, 851 Sandwich Road (Sagamore). M-Sa 10AM-4PM, Su 11AM-4PM. The oldest operating glass company in the United States. Watch glass blowers at their trade Monday through Friday.
- Whistle Stop Ice Cream, 435 Shore Road (Monument Beach), ☏ +1 508 759-8958. Owned and operated by a local family, this train-themed summer shop offers traditional handmade ice cream and waffle cones while offering a local neighborhood feel. Look for it directly attached to the Cumberland Farms convinient store and gas station.
- Krua Thai, 100 Main St (Buzzards Bay), ☏ +1 508 759-9662.
- [dead link] Stir Crazy, 570 MacArthur Boulevard (Pocasset), ☏ +1 508 564-6464. Dinner Tu-Su, Lunch F only. Popular Oriental cooking, fresh from scratch. Inexpensive.
- The Chart Room, 1 Shipyard Lane (Cataumet), ☏ +1 508 563-5350. Th 3-10PM, F-Su 11:30AM-10PM. One of Bourne's better places. Great harbor sunsets. Piano bar. $12-25.
- Leo's Seafood Restaurant, 249 Main St (Buzzards Bay), ☏ +1 508 759-7557.
- The Lobster Trap, 290 Shore Road, ☏ +1 508 759-7600. In the summer, try this for a truly authentic experience.
- [dead link] Sunset Grille at Brookside Club, 1 Brigadoon Rd, ☏ +1 508 743-0705. Lunch, dinner with outdoor seating available overlooking the golf course with bay views and sunsets.
- Bourne Scenic Park Campground, 370 Bourne Scenic Hwy, ☏ +1 508 759-7873. 456 sites. Right on the Cape Cod Canal. Loved by people in nearby towns.
- Bay View Campgrounds, 260 MacArthur Blvd, ☏ +1 508 759-7610. 425 sites.
- Bourndale Village Inn, 854 Scenic Hwy, ☏ +1 508 888-2796.
- Scenic View Motel, 871 Scenic Hwy, ☏ +1 508 888-3331. Right across from the Canal at the Herring Run Recreation Area.
- Quality Inn - Bourne, 100 Trowbridge Rd, ☏ +1 508 759-0800.
Due to the often swift current in the Canal, swimming and scuba diving are prohibited. Sailing is also prohibited; any sailboats must furl their sails and use auxiliary power.
Day trips to other areas of Cape Cod or to Plymouth or Boston are good choices.
|Routes through Bourne|
|Taunton ← Wareham ←||N S||→ END|
|New Bedford ← Wareham ←||W E||→ Sandwich → Provincetown|
|Boston ← Plymouth ←||N S||→ END|
|Boston ← Wareham ←||W E||→ Falmouth → Eastham|
|Boston ← Wareham ←||N S||→ Hyannis → END|