- For other places with the same name, see Bourne (disambiguation).
Bourne is in Massachusetts on Cape Cod. The Cape Cod Canal runs through it. Bourne includes seven villages: Bournedale, Buzzards Bay, Cataumet, Monument Beach, Pocasset, Sagamore and Sagamore Beach. Bourne, settled in 1637, was incorporated in 1884 (before that it was part of Sandwich). The Bourne village of Buzzards Bay is home to Massachusetts Maritime Academy.
Bourne includes the villages of Bourne Village, Bournedale, Buzzards Bay, Cataumet, Gray Gables, Monument Beach, Pocasset, Sagamore and Sagamore Beach.
- Sagamore Beach - See historic homes from the elevated beach vistas on the mainland side of the Canal.
- Sagamore - On the Cape-side of the Canal, Sagamore used to be home to a thriving car manufacturing company.
- 1 Cape Cod Canal Visitors Center, 60 Ed Moffitt Dr, ☎ . May 1-Oct 29: 10AM-5PM daily. The Cape Cod Canal and its bridges are the most striking features of the Upper Cape and play host to a variety of recreational activities. The Canal's primary purpose is to provide safe passage for vessels avoiding the treacherous seas along the outer beaches of Cape Cod. Since 1928 the U. S. Army Corps of Engineers has operated the waterway toll free to adequately powered vessels. Every year thousands of visitors come here to enjoy bicycling, walking, fishing, or just watching the ships go by. Free.
- From Boston take I-93 south.
- From Providence or points south take I-95 north to I-195 to Route 25 south to the Bourne Bridge (I-495 also becomes Route 25).
Bicycling along the two service roads which parallel both sides of the Canal is possible, although a car is generally preferred.
- Aptucxet Trading Post Museum, 24 Aptucxet Rd, ☎ . The trading post building dates back to at least 1621. A number of historical exhibits and herb and wildflower gardens.
- 1 Briggs-McDermott House (George I. Briggs House), 22 Sandwich Rd, ☎ .
- Jonathan Bourne Historical Center, 30 Keene St, ☎ . M Tu 9AM-2:30PM, W 6:30PM-8:30PM.
- 2 National Marine Life Center, 120 Main St, ☎ . Displays and exhibits about marine life. Free.
- 1 Doran Park (Upper Cape Technical School), 220 Sandwich Rd (At the rotary, go three-quarters of the way around and bear right onto Sandwich Road.). Game time: 6PM. Home of the Bourne Braves, member of the Cape Cod Baseball League.
- Periwinkles Gifts, ☎ . Nestled inside Kingman Marina in the village of Cataumet, Periwinkles offers some Cape Cod themed gifts, along with a selection of novelty jewelry, accessories, signs, and household items perfect to top off any Cape Cod visit. Look for this shop immediately to the left of the main parking lot when you enter the yacht center.
- Pairpoint Glass Company, 851 Sandwich Road (Sagamore). M-Sa 10AM-4PM, Su 11AM-4PM. The oldest currently operating glass company in the United States. Watch glass blowers at their trade Monday through Friday.
- Whistle Stop Ice Cream, 435 Shore Road (Monument Beach), ☎ . Owned and operated by a local family, this train-themed summer shop offers traditional handmade ice cream and waffle cones while offering a local neighborhood feel. Look for it directly attached to the Cumberland Farms convinient store and gas station.
- Krua Thai, 100 Main St (Buzzards Bay), ☎ .
- Stir Crazy, 570 MacArthur Boulevard (Pocasset), ☎ . Dinner Tu-Su, Lunch F only. Popular Oriental cooking, fresh from scratch. Inexpensive.
- The Chart Room, 1 Shipyard Lane (Cataumet), ☎ . Th 3-10PM, F-Su 11:30AM-10PM. One of Bourne's better places. Great harbor sunsets. Piano bar. $12-25.
- Leo's Seafood Restaurant, 249 Main St (Buzzards Bay), ☎ .
- The Lobster Trap, 290 Shore Road, ☎ . In the summer, try this for a truly authentic experience.
- Sunset Grille at Brookside Club, 1 Brigadoon Rd, ☎ . Lunch, dinner with outdoor seating available overlooking the golf course with bay views and sunsets.
- Bourne Scenic Park Campground, 370 Bourne Scenic Hwy, ☎ . 456 sites. Right on the Cape Cod Canal. Loved by people in nearby towns.
- Bay View Campgrounds, 260 MacArthur Blvd, ☎ . 425 sites.
- Bourndale Village Inn, 854 Scenic Hwy, ☎ .
- Scenic View Motel, 871 Scenic Hwy, ☎ . Right across from the Canal at the Herring Run Recreation Area.
- Quality Inn - Bourne, 100 Trowbridge Rd, ☎ .
Due to the often swift current in the Canal, swimming and scuba diving are prohibited. Sailing is also prohibited; any sailboats must furl their sails and use auxiliary power.
|Routes through Bourne|
|Taunton ← Wareham ←||N S||→ END|
|New Bedford ← Wareham ←||W E||→ Sandwich → Provincetown|
|Boston ← Plymouth ←||N S||→ END|
|Boston ← Wareham ←||W E||→ Falmouth → Eastham|
|Boston ← Wareham ←||N S||→ Hyannis → END|