Wareham is a town in Massachusetts at the head of Buzzards Bay. Wareham calls itself "The Gateway to Cape Cod" and is sometimes included as a Cape Cod town. It includes the villages of Onset, East Wareham and West Wareham.
Wareham is easily accessible by Interstate 195 from the west, Interstate 495 from the north and Route 25 from Cape Cod.
- Driving a car is the best way to get around here.
- Greater Attleboro Taunton Regional Transit Authority (GATRA)'s Onset-Wareham Link(OWL), +1-800-433-5995, [dead link]. Provides bus service M-F 7:55AM to 6:30PM, and Sa 8:50AM to 5:30PM.
- Del's Taxi Cab Service, +1 508 295-0497.
- Wareham Taxi Service, Phone: +1 508 295-5459.
- World's Only Thermometer Museum, 49 Zarahemla Road, Onset Village, ☏ . By appointment. Listed in Guinness Book of World Records. More than five thousand thermometers once were housed in Richard Porter's museum. In 2008 he gave 4,000 of them to Penn State's weather museum. About 1,000, including some of his favorites and some new-fangled ones are still here to see. Free.
- Wareham Gatemen, 54 Marion Road (Clem Spillane Field) (off Rt 6 at Viking Drive). Early Jun-mid Aug. Cape Cod Baseball League -- a 100 year old summer league that feeds many players to the major leagues.
- Hy-Line Cruises Cape Cod Canal Cruises, Onset Bay Town Pier, ☏ . Seasonal. Sightseeing, family, sunset cocktail, and Dixieland cruises. 2-3 hours. $5-17.
- Water Wizz of Cape Cod, 3031 Cranberry Highway, ☏ . Mid June-Labor day 10AM-6PM. Water park. $30; over 65 years or under 48 in (1,200 mm) tall $15.
- Little Harbor Country Club, ☏ . Little Harbor Rd. Public, 18 hole, 3038 yards, Par 56, Rating 54.4, Slope 79.
- Bay Pointe Country Club, 19 Bay Pointe Dr, ☏ . Onset.
- Golf Shots Range & Learning Center, 123 Sandwich Road, ☏ .
The "strip" along Cranberry Highway (Route 6) in East Wareham is the main commercial area. It was the former main route to Cape Cod before Route 25 was built from I-495 to the Bourne Bridge. Wal-Mart and many of the usual chain eateries are found along here.
- Wareham Crossing, 2421 Cranberry Hwy (Rt 28) (Exit 21 I-195, then west), ☏ . A "shopping village" with big box stores and smaller ones as well.
- Willows Cranberries, 2667 Cranberry Hwy, ☏ , fax: , Willows@capecod.net. Fresh cranberries, carefully harvested from family-owned bogs. The cranberry chutney features fresh whole berries and pure maple syrup.
- [dead link] Bailey's Surf & Turf, 3056 Cranberry Hwy, ☏ . Opens 11:30AM. Lunch served until 6PM. Dinner $10-20.
- Cranberry Cottage, 246 Marion Rd, ☏ .
- Franca's Italian Restaurant, 3136 Cranberry Hwy, ☏ .
- The Gateway Tavern, 371 Marion Rd (Rt 6), ☏ . Su noon-9PM, M-Th 11:30AM-9PM, F Sa 11:30AM-10PM. Family-friendly value type place.
- [dead link] Lindsey's Restaurant, 3138 Cranberry Highway, ☏ , fax: . Su-Th 11:30AM-9PM, F Sa 11:30AM-9:30PM. Long-time fixture favored for its fried seafood and other dishes.
- Lobster Pot, 3155 Cranberry Hwy, ☏ .
- Narrows Crossing, 1 Narrows Road, ☏ .
- Webster Hall Restaurant, 207 Main St. (Rt. 6, downtown), ☏ .
- China Chef, 1 Depot Street, ☏ .
- Hongkong Island, Cranberry Hwy, ☏ .
- Woh Lun Restaurant, 172 Main St., ☏ .
- China Garden, 265 Marion Rd, ☏ .
- Shooters Bar and Grille, 2691 Cranberry Hwy, ☏ . Popular sports bar.
- Atlantic Motel, 7 Depot Street, ☏ , fax: . Check-out: 11AM. $90-250 in season.
- Briarwood Beach Motel, Rt. 6, ☏ .
- [formerly dead link] Rosewood Motel, 3115 Cranberry Hwy, ☏ .
- Silver Lake Motel, 3026 Cranberry Hwy, ☏ .
- Starlight Motel, 3102 Cranberry Hwy, ☏ .
- Stone Village Motel, 2739 Cranberry Hwy, ☏ .
- [formerly dead link] Point Independence Inn & Spa, 9 Eagle Way, Onset, toll-free: , firstname.lastname@example.org. $219-279 in season.
Bed and Breakfast
- Cranberry Gardens Inn, 105 High Street, ☏ , email@example.com. Three rooms. $100-125.
- Mulberry Bed & Breakfast, 257 High Street, ☏ . 3 rooms with 2 shared baths. $60-90 in season.
- [dead link] Maple Park Family Campground, 290 Glen Charlie Road, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. 400 sites, 2 ponds, store, rentals.
Nearby Cape Cod has much to offer. There is also a lot to see and do in the nearby cities of Boston, and Providence, each about one hour away. A day trip to New Bedford or Newport could be worthwhile.
|Routes through Wareham|
|New Bedford ← Marion ←||W E||→ END|
|Taunton ← Middleborough ←||N S||→ Bourne → END|
|New Bedford ← Marion ←||W E||→ Bourne → Provincetown|
|Boston ← Rochester ←||N E||→ Bourne → Eastham|
|Weymouth ← Carver ←||N S||→ END|
|Boston ← Brockton ←||N S||→ Bourne → Hyannis|