West Springfield is a city (known as a town) in Hampden County in the Pioneer Valley region of Massachusetts. Often referred to as West Side, West Springfield is just west of Springfield (Massachusetts), divided by the Connecticut River. West Springfield gained its independence from Springfield in 1774, with residents becoming tiresome of crossing the Connecticut River to attend town meetings. Today the town has a population of about 28,000. West Springfield is a beautiful town, in a great location of Hampden County.
West Springfield is accessible from the east and west via the Massachusetts Turnpike (U.S. I-90)  and U.S. Route 20. It is accessible from the east and west by U.S. I-91 and U.S. Route 5.
Amtrak service is available to adjacent Springfield.
A car is the best way to travel in West Springfield. Downtown West Springfield has ample free street parking, with the post office, library, and other city offices within walking distance.
Pioneer Valley Transit Authority (PVTA) provides service sporadically throughout West Springfield. Rate: One-Way $1.25, Transfer $0.25, One Day Pass $3.00, Week Pass $12.50. +1 413 781-7882. http://www.pvta.com/
Yellow Cab service by phone call +1 413 739-9999.
- 1 The Eastern States Exposition - "The Big E", 1305 Memorial Av, West Springfield., ☏ . The six New England States' collective State Fair, held for 17 days each September. The Big E is the largest fair in New England, and the 6th largest agricultural fair in the United States. Attractions include fair vendors, a small circus, musical performers, agricultural exhibits and competitions, carnival games and carnival rides, a small collection of historic buildings known as Storrowton Village, and state buildings for each of the New England states featuring local products and vendors.
Storrowton Village, 305 Memorial Avenue, located on the Big E fairgrounds  [dead link]. Storrowton Village is a small collection of antique buildings. Schedule varies, open for group tours by appointment year round.
- Stop and Shop, 935 Riverdale Street, ☏ . 7AM-10PM. Supermarket in the northeastern section of West Springfield. Great prices on both name brand and store brand products. "Gas Points" are accrued with each purchase, and can be used to reduce the gas price at the Stop and Shop gas station in Chicopee.
- Big Y, 503 Memorial Ave. Suite 1, ☏ . Independently-owned supermaket chain in the southeastern section of West Springfield.
- Daddy's Junky Music, 935 Riverdale Street, ☏ . Music shop to buy new and used equipment. Great place to trade-in old or unused gear.
- Celery Stalk, 141 Elm Street, ☏ . Great soups and sandwiches. Good place to stop for lunch. Cash only, have your money ready.
- Hofbräuhaus, 1105 Main Street, ☏ . Excellent German food with a nice selection of beers and tea.
- Cerrato’s, 225 Elm Street, ☏ . Italian pastry shop. Delicious pastries, cakes, and great service.
- On the Border, 1228 Riverdale Street, ☏ . Terrific Mexican grill. Bottomless chips and salsa, delicious margaritas, and great food. Request a bag of chips and salsa to go.
- Cal's, 1068 Riverdale Street, ☏ . Large bar area with separate dining area. Seafood, pasta and stone pizzas.
- White Hut, 280 Memorial Avenue, ☏ . Award winning hamburgers and hot dogs. Great place to go in the summer for a delicious burger.
- Mingle’s Lounge, 1547 Riverdale Street, ☏ . Local karaoke bar. Good size bar area, small dance floor and booth seating.
- [dead link] Geraldine’s Lounge, 1519 Elm Street, ☏ . Large bar, live music.
- Residence Inn West Springfield, 64 Border Way, ☏ , fax: .
- Hampton Inn West Springfield, 1011 Riverdale Street, ☏ . Close to Riverdale Shops, the Holyoke Mall, the Big E, and Six Flags New England. Right off I-91.
- Candlewood Suites West Springfield, 572 Riverdale Street, ☏ . Good rates, close to Riverdale Shops, the Holyoke Mall, the Big E, and Six Flags New England. Right off I-91.
- Red Roof Inn West Springfield, 1254 Riverdale Street, ☏ . Good rates, close to Riverdale Shops, the Holyoke Mall, the Big E, and Six Flags New England. Right off I-91.
Hampden County has a lot to offer, and West Springfield is very close to all of the major attractions.
- Six Flags New England, 1623 Main Street, +1 413 786-9300, . Located about 10 minutes south of West Springfield in Agawam, MA, Six Flags is the largest theme park in New England. General Admission tickets are $44.99. Save $10 by buying your tickets online. Season pass is $59.99, so if you live in the area and plan on going more than once, a season pass is the way to go.
- The Basketball Hall of Fame, 1000 Hall of Fame Avenue, +1 413 781-6500, . Located just over the Memorial Bridge in Springfield, MA, the Basketball Hall of Fame is a great museum for basketball fans of all ages. There are many fun things for children, including a sportscast desk in which you are filmed reading a breaking sports story and can watch after. It does a great job of bringing you through the history of basketball, with amazing artifacts. Adults $16.99, Seniors $13.99, Ages 5 - 15 $11.99, 4 and under Free. Show your AAA Card or your Big Y Express Savings Club Card and save on admission.
|Routes through West Springfield|
|Albany ← Westfield ←||W E||→ Chicopee → Worcester|
|Greenfield ← Holyoke ←||N S||→ Chicopee → Springfield|
|Greenfield ← Holyoke ←||N S||→ Agawam → Springfield|
|Pittsfield ← Westfield ←||W E||→ Springfield → Worcester|