- US 271 runs east-west. From Heavener to the west or McAlester to the east of Wister.
- US 270 runs north-south. Travel south from Poteau.
- Driving, but Wister has one of those small town downtown areas that is nice to walk around in and see the older buildings and stores that have more history then the living.
- Wister Lake State Park (South on Hwy 270), ☎ , fax: +1 918 655-7274, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Camping, Hiking, Fishing. Good fishing for Catfish in this lake using trot lines. Also below the dam you can fish in the Poteau river for catfish and noodling is also popular there.
Shop the Antique shops in town.
- Talimena Drive from Talihina, Oklahoma to Mena, Arkansas 54 Mile scenic drive in Oklahoma and Arkansas along the ridge of the Ouachita Mountains and the Ouachita National Forest. The drive has frequent turnouts so you can enjoy the scenery. Convenient access to the drive near the midpoint can be accessed from Heavener by taking Hwy 59 south.
- Heavener Runestone State Park, 18365 Runestone Rd (On Poteau Mountain), ☎ , fax: +1 918 653-3435, e-mail: email@example.com. The park has a runestone believed to be engraved by Viking visitors to the area in the ninth century. It is believed the runes are the date November 11, 1012.
|Routes through Wister|
|McAlester ← Wilburton ←||W E||→ Heavener → Hot Springs|
|Hugo ← Talihina ←||S N||→ Poteau → Fort Smith|