Mena is a town in Arkansas. A railroad town, Mena grew to a population of over 3000 people within a few years of its founding in 1897. It was also touted for its health spa amenities. But soon after, the town's vitality diminished when rail facilities were moved to a nearby locale. Mena also had this troubling tendency of unabashed racial mistreatment towards African Americans that endured through much of the 20th century.
Today it attracts tourists with its picturesque location among the Ouachita National Forest and Mountains.
There is a Greyhound bus stop at the Exxon at 901 N U.S. 71. If driving, try to have a map or GPS, because Mena is tucked into one of the more isolated parts of the state.
- 1 Queen Wilhelmina State Park, 3877 AR-88, ☏ . Open 24 hours. The highlight here is the "Castle in the Sky" lodge at the top of Rich Mountain along the Talimena Scenic Drive (i.e. Skyline Drive or Hwy 88), affording some grand views. It is also traversed by the 235 Ouachita [hiking] Trail.
- 2 Janssen Park. This town centerpiece with fountains and pools, along with the town itself, is named after the wife of the friend of Arthur Edward Stillwell, who brought the Kansas City, Pittsburg and Gulf Railroad to town. He called her by the nickname Mena.
- The Branding Iron, 623 Sherwood Ave B, ☏ . The Branding Iron is a barbecue and steakhouse.
- Chiquita's, 703 US-71, part of Northside Shopping Center. Open M-Sa 10AM-9PM. This family owned restaurant has been in Mena for almost two decades.
- Chopping Block Steakhouse, 705 Gilham Ave, ☏ . Tu-Sa 10:30AM-9PM. This two-story log cabin seats up to 200 people and serves steak, burgers, and seafood.
- Cruizzer's Drive-In, 409 US-71, ☏ . Daily 8AM-9PM. This is a 50s themed dive-in.
- Limetree Restaurant, 804 US-71, ☏ . Daily 6AM-9PM. Has a buffet and salad bar.
- Papa's Mexican Cafe, 1317 US-71 S. Tel: +1 479 394-6521 or +1 479 394-6461. Open M-Th 10AM-10PM; Su 10AM-3PM. Has over 30 30 authentic Mexican dishes.
- Skyline Cafe, 618 Mena Street, ☏ . Open daily 5:30AM-2PM.
- American Artisans Eatery & Gallery, 615 Mena Street, ☏ . Art store and cafe.
- Backwoods Lodge, ☏ , email@example.com. Located near the Ouachita Mountains, this lodge has four bedrooms and a hot tub. Check-in 10AM, Check-out 2PM. $65-75, increased rates during hunting seasons.
- Mountain View Bed & Breakfast, 108 Mountain View Drive, ☏ .
- Willowbrook Cabins & RV, 1047 Polk Rd 42, ☏ , fax: . This rental home is a 100 year old stone cottage that has two bedrooms, two bathrooms, and a kitchen. Sleeps 1-4. Check-in: 3PM, Check-out 11AM. $150/night.
- Talimena Drive from Talihina, Oklahoma to Mena, Arkansas 54 Mile scenic drive in Oklahoma and Arkansas along the ridge of the Ouachita Mountains and the Ouachita National Forest. The drive has frequent turnouts so you can enjoy the scenery. Convenient access to the drive near the mid-point can be accessed from Heavener by taking Hwy 59 south.
|Routes through Mena|
|Sallisaw ← Heavener ←||N S||→ De Queen → Texarkana|
|Fort Smith ← Greenwood ←||N S||→ De Queen → Texarkana|
|McAlester ← Heavener ←||W E||→ Mount Ida → Hot Springs|
|Jct N S ← Muse ← Jct S ← becomes ←||W E||→ Jct N → Jct W E → Jct W E|
|McAlester ← Talihina ← Jct S ← becomes ←||W E||→ Jct E → Jct N S|