Wiston is a village in West Sussex.
- 1 Wiston House. is a large house built by Sir Robert Shirley in the 1570s to replace an earlier medieval manor house. The house was much reduced in size by Sir Charles Goring in the 1740s and was remodelled again in the 1840s. The house is not open to the public and it is mainly used for Wilton Park Conferences and other meetings. It is also very popular for wedding receptions
Arriving by car or bicycle is the usual way although there is an hourly bus service along the A283 Monday to Saturday. There is also a good network of footpaths for the walkers.
Take the footpath across the stream and visit Buncton Chapel, a 12th-century chapel that can only be reached by footpath. The chapel is still used with a service at 11AM on the third Sunday of the month and other important times, e.g. Easter and Christmas Day.
- 1 Chanctonbury Ring. Climb to the top. The ring used to refer to the circular prehistoric earthwork dating from c. 800 - 600 BC, but now has come to mean the crown of beech trees planted in 1760 by Charles Goring. These trees were decimated by the 1987 storm but have since been replanted. On a clear day you can see the North Downs, the sea and, if it is very clear, the Isle of Wight.
In the spring the bluebells in the wood along Spithandle Lane are well worth seeing.