The village of Woods Hole administratively belongs to the town of Falmouth, in the Upper Cape area of Cape Cod, Massachusetts. Woods Hole has a great natural harbor and was once a fishing and whaling center but now is known for its beautiful beaches, sport fishing, quaint shops (no chain stores here) and marine research facilities.
- Peter Pan Bus Lines, toll-free: , . Service from Boston and between Bourne, Falmouth, Barnstable and Hyannis.
Within Cape Cod
- Cape Cod Regional Transit Authority. Woods Hole/Falmouth to Hyannis, and other services around the Cape.
- Steamship Authority Ferries, 65 South St, ☏ . Year Round ferry service to and from Martha's Vineyard is offered by the Steamship Authority, including car transport.
Woods Hole is a wonderful place to walk around; everything is within 15 minutes' walk for people of normal fitness.
The Shining Sea bikeway begins at the end of Railroad Ave, right next to the Steamship Terminal & the Leeside Restaurant. It's a great way to get to Woods Hole from downtown Falmouth, about 4 miles, mostly along the ocean.
- WHOOSH Trolley provides local summer service around Falmouth.
- 1 Nobska Light. Nobska Rd. About a 10-minute walk from the village, the lighthouse overlooks Vineyard Sound and the Elizabeth Islands, as well as Woods Hole itself.
- 2 Marine Biological Laboratories (Pierce Exhibit Center), 100 Water St, ☏ . May Jun Sep Oct W–F 11AM–4PM; Jul-Aug M–Sa 11AM–4PM.
- Woods Hole Historical Museum, 579 Woods Hole Road, ☏ . Jun-Oct Tu-Sa 10AM-4PM.
- 3 Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (Ocean Science Discovery Center), 15 School Street, ☏ . Apr-May M-F 10AM-4:30PM; Jun M-Sa 10AM-4:30PM; Jul Aug M-Su 10AM-4:30PM; Sep Oct M-Sa 10AM-4:30PM; Nov Dec T-F 10AM-4:30PM. Learn about the Institutions research (and their cool boats) with many engaging and kid friendly hands on exhibits. $3 suggested donation.
- 4 Woods Hole Science Aquarium, 166 Water St, ☏ . Tu-Sa 11AM-4PM. The aquarium has an outdoor seal pool (feedings are at 11AM and 4PM most weekdays), tanks filled with fish and lots of information about local marine life. Upstairs are touch tanks with horseshoe crabs, starfish, whelks and other animals. Free.
- Woods Hole Theater Company (Community Hall), 68 Water Street, ☏ .
- Woods Hole Film Festival, 89 Water Street, ☏ . The Festival is held each year from the last Saturday of July through the first Saturday of August. This eight-day event screens around 100 films submitted from around the world.
There are many small shops & galleries in the village, many featuring local artists, all within a 5-minute walk. There is an ATM at the bank, at the top of Water St., right next to the U.S. Post Office and Pie in the Sky.
- Pie in the Sky Bakery & Cafe, 10 Water St, ☏ . 5AM-10PM daily. Year-round breakfast, lunch and dinner. Great for long hours, friendly service, and made-from-scratch breads, pastries, soups, salads, sandwiches and organic coffees, cappuccino, espresso, cocoa, chai, teas and cold drinks. Their baked goods are delicious in general, but their bread pudding is worth particular mention, as it's particularly moist, made with raisins, and what tastes like a touch of whiskey.
- Captain Kidd Waterfront Tavern, 77 Water St, ☏ . Year-round lunch and dinner daily. A favorite for fresh seafood.
- Quicks Hole Taqueria, 6 Luscombe Ave, ☏ . 11AM-10PM daily. Great seafood taco joint -- amazing local salads, lobster tacos, lobster rolls and homemade soups. Great local bands Friday and Saturday 4 - 7 pm in summer.
- Shuckers, 91A Water Street, ☏ . Lunch and dinner daily. Fun, casual bar atmosphere. Raw bar. Outdoor seating.
- Landfall, 9 Luscombe Av, ☏ . Apr-Dec. The Landfall is a good restaurant for seafood and meat entrees. The sixty-year-old restaurant sits on a pier overlooking the tiny private ferry for Naushon Island, the home of the Forbes family. This restaurant is worth catching a later ferry for.
Many private homes are rented by the week, month, and/or season. WHOI and MBL both maintain links on their websites listing local rental options
- Sands of Time, 549 Woods Hole Road, ☏ .
- Woods Hole Passage Bed & Breakfast Inn, 186 Woods Hole Road, ☏ .
- Woods Hole Inn, 28 Water St, ☏ . Check-in: 11, check-out: 3. Luxury lodging right in the middle of Woods Hole across from the ferry terminal. Water views from some rooms, free WiFi, breakfast included, free parking, lovely modern decor. $$.
Move on to other areas of Cape Cod or the Islands.