The village of Woods Hole is in Falmouth, on Cape Cod in Massachusetts. Woods Hole has a great natural harbor and was once a fishing and whaling center but now is known for its beautiful beaches, sport fishing, quaint shops (no chain stores here) and marine research facilities.
- Peter Pan Bus Lines, Toll free: +1 800-343-9999 or +1 888-751-8800, . Service from Boston and between Bourne, Falmouth, Barnstable and Hyannis.
Within Cape Cod
- Cape Cod Regional Transit Authority, Woods Hole/Falmouth to Hyannis, and other services around the Cape.
- Steamship Authority Ferries, 65 South St, +1 508-477-8600, . Year Round ferry service to and from Martha's Vineyard is offered by the Steamship Authority, including car transport.
Woods Hole is a wonderful place to walk around; everything is within 15 minutes' walk for people of normal fitness.
The Shining Sea bikeway begins at the end of Railroad Ave, right next to the Steamship Terminal & the Leeside Restaurant. It's a great way to get to Woods Hole from downtown Falmouth, about 4 miles, mostly along the ocean.
- WHOOSH Trolley provides local summer service around Falmouth.
- Woods Hole Science Aquarium, ☎ . Open in summer Tu-Sa 11AM-4PM, school year M-F 11AM-4PM. Closed for federal holidays. The aquarium has an outdoor seal pool (feedings are at 11AM and 4PM most weekdays), tanks filled with fish and lots of information about local marine life. Upstairs are touch tanks with horseshoe crabs, starfish, whelks and other animals. Free admission.
- Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution. (WHOI) Visitor Center. Limited parking. Take the WHOOSH trolley.
- Marine Biological Laboratories. (MBL) Visitor Center, Water St.
- Woods Hole Historical Museum, 579 Woods Hole Road, ☎ . Mid June through mid Oct, Tu-Sa 10AM-4PM.
- Nobska Lighthouse, Nobska Rd. About a 10 minute walk from the village, the lighthouse overlooks Vineyard Sound and the Elizabeth Islands, as well as Woods Hole itself.
- Spohr Gardens Oyster Pond Rd. This beautiful ambling garden overlooks the Shining Sea Bikeway and Oyster Pond. A short bike or car ride from the village itself. A collection of old millstones & ship's anchors ranging from large to huge, decorate the pathways along the pond. Nice place for a walk or pic nic.
- Wood Hole Theater Company, 68 Water Street. Community Hall, Woods Hole, (508) 540-6525 (General Information), (508) 540-6525 (Box Office).
- Falmouth Road Race, Originally a "pub crawl" now an annual event bringing some 10,000 runners to Woods Hole for the start of the 7 mile course. Also an important qualifying race for the professional running circuit. Usually held the last week in August.
- [dead link]Cape Cod Marathon. Part of this annual marathon winds its way through Woods Hole the third week in October
- Woods Hole Film Festival. Third week in August, 10 days of films, etc.
- Get the Net Charters, 23 Nobska Road, ☎ . May-Oct.
- Woods Hole is also a great place to sail in good weather.
There are many small shops & galleries in the village, many featuring local artists, all within a 5 minute walk. There is an ATM at the bank, at the top of Water St., right next to the U.S. Post Office and Pie in the Sky.
- Landfall, 2 Luscombe Av, ☎ . The Landfall is a good restaurant for seafood and meat entrees. The fifty-year-old restaurant sits on a pier near the Woods Hole, Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket Steamship Authority dock, overlooking the tiny private ferry for Naushon Island, the home of the Forbes family. This restaurant is worth catching a later ferry for, and only a hundred yards from the steamships.
- Captain Kidd Waterfront Tavern, 77 Water St, ☎ . Year-round lunch and dinner daily. A favorite for fresh seafood.
- Fishmonger's Cafe, 56 Water St, ☎ . Year-round breakfast, lunch and dinner. Great view which includes entertaining drawbridge. The favorite lunch and meeting spot of out-of-towners and locals. Fresh fish specialties, natural food focus, vegetarian dishes. Great casual choice.
- Shuckers, 91-A Water St., +1 508-540-3850. Lunch and dinner daily. Fun, casual bar atmosphere. Raw bar. Outdoor seating.
- Pie in the Sky Bakery & Internet Cafe, 10 Water St, ☎ . Year-round breakfast, lunch and dinner 5AM to 9PM (at least). Great for long hours, friendly service, and made-from-scratch breads, pastries, soups, salads, sandwiches and organic coffees, cappuccino, espresso, cocoa, chai, teas,& cold drinks. Very convenient from the ferry terminal. Their baked goods are delicious in general, but their bread pudding is worth particular mention, as it's particularly moist and delicious, made with raisins and what tastes like a touch of whiskey.
- Quicks Hole, 6 Luscombe Ave (across from the ferry), ☎ . 11 am - 10 pm. Great seafood taco joint -- amazing local salads, lobster tacos, lobster rolls and homemade soups. Great local bands Friday and Saturday 4 - 7 pm in summer. $$.
There is only one liquor store in the village:Old Barn Package Store, 21 Luscombe Ave., 508 548 4855
- Phusion Grille, 71 Water St, ☎ .
- The Lee Side Bar and Grill, 5 Luscombe Ave, ☎ .
- Landfall, 2 Luscombe Av, ☎ . Live music on most Friday and Sunday nights in the summer time, 21+
- Pie in the Sky Bakery & Internet Cafe, 10 Water St, ☎ . Open Mic night every Monday night in the summertime, all ages welcome.
- Captain Kidd Waterfront Tavern, 77 Water St, ☎ . Open Mic night every Wednesday night in the winter, 21+
Many private homes are rented by the week, month, and/or season. WHOI and MBL both maintain links on their websites listing local rental options
- Sleepy Hollow Motor Inn, Woods Hole Rd.
- Woods Hole Inn, Water St.
- Sands of Time,Woods Hole Rd.
- Woods Hole Passage Bed & Breakfast, Woods Hole Rd.
- Woods Hole Inn, 28 Water St, ☎ . Check-in: 11, check-out: 3. Luxury lodging right in the middle of Woods Hole across from the ferry terminal. Water views from some rooms, free WiFi, breakfast included, free parking, lovely modern decor. $$$.
- WCAI, 90.1 FM, located right in Woods Hole, the voice of Public Radio for the Cape & Islands
- WMVY, 92.7 FM, located on Martha's Vineyard, one of only a handful of independent radio stations in the country, and one of the only ones to have good reception in Woods Hole.