The place was originally called Sailei by the native Babuza people, which later become Xiluo by translating from Hokkien to Mandarin. It is also formerly called Lethng (Chinese: 螺陽; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: Lê-thng) after the Chinese colonizers hometown. Xiluo Township is one of the most important vegetable growing areas in Taiwan.
Culture and history
- 1 Jhen Wen Academy (振文書院), No. 6, Xingnong West Road, ☏ . A former tutorial academy where scholars in the area would gather to study classical poetry. The building was constructed in 1813.
- 2 Xiluo Bridge (西螺大橋). Construction on the 2km-long bridge originally began in 1936, but was halted after the outbreak of the Second World War. Construction resumed with the help of the US government following the end of the war. This bridge also has historically held significance for the pro-independence movement in Taiwan. The area to the south has been the seat of the People's Democratic Party while the area to the north of the bridge has historically been more likely to vote for the Kuomintang.
- 3 Xiluo Theater (西螺戲院), No. 2, Guanyin Street. The theater building was originally built in 1940 under the name Xiluo Opera House with the funds from the prestigious Lin Guang-he clan. It was then later renamed as Xiluo Old Theater. The theater building was closed in early 1990s.
- 4 Yenping Old Street (延平老街), 130 Yanping Road. A street where a few old buildings have been preserved. There are a number of stalls here selling local snacks and specialities.
- 5 Xiluo Guangfu Temple (西螺廣福宮), No. 32, Xinjie Road, ☏ . 06:00-21:30. A prominent Mazu temple built in 1764. Because of the courtyard house was constructed from the worshiper's donations, the temple was named Guangfu which means wide blessing.
- 6 ZhangLiao Family Temple (西螺張廖家廟), No. 22, Xincuo Road. A series of temple structures around a square central courtyard.
- 7 Xiluo Fuxing Temple (西螺福興宮), No. 180, Yanping Road. A temple to Mazu.
- 1 Wuan Chuang Soy Sauce Factory Tour (丸莊醬油觀光工廠), No. 25, Yanping Road, ☏ . 08:00-20:00. A small factory making soy sauce using traditional methods. The factory offers tours to the public.
- 1 Eastern Market (西螺東市場), No. 47, Yanping Road, ☏ . Wed-Sun: 10:00-17:00. A small market selling local handicrafts.
- 1 Xiluo Huanghun Market (西螺黃昏市場), No. 158, Xingnong West Road. 01:00-20:00. A covered market selling a variety of fresh produce and local snacks.
- 2 Dongnan Night Market (東南觀光夜市), Dongnan Road, ☏ . Sun: 17:00-23:30. Typical Taiwanese night market selling snacks and bric-à-brac.
- 1 Chuan Tian Guesthouse (川田府邸民宿), No. 5, Shichang South Road, ☏ . A fairly new guesthouse that has an outdoor sitting area made to resemble the Xiluo Bridge.