Yunlin County (雲林縣) is a county in western Taiwan. Yunlin County is divided into 1 city, 5 urban townships and 14 rural townships.
|Douliu Region (Douliu, Xiluo, Citong, Linnei, Dapi, Dounan, Gukeng)|
As the seat of the county government, there are large-scale amusement parks in the area, and the grassy ridges in Gukeng are of educational value because of the strange terrain.
|Huwei Region (Huwei, Erlun, Lunbei, Mailiao, Tuku, Baozhong)|
Location of the connection to Taiwan's High-speed Rail network, and a number of Hakka villages.
|Beigang Region (Beigang, Taixi, Kouhu, Sihu, Shuilin, Dongshi, Yuanzhang)|
A seaside area famous for its ports and local temples.
Cities and towns
Agricultural products of Yunlin County include pomelo, tea leaves, suan cai, papaya, and muskmelon. Yunlin's rivers give it potential for hydroelectricity. Yunlin is one of the least developed counties on the West coast, and suffers from emigration.
- 1 Yunlin HSR station (高鐵雲林站).
Taiwan Railways Administration
- 2 Linnei railway station (林內車站).
- 3 Shiliu railway station (石榴車站).
- 4 Douliu railway station (斗六車站).
- 5 Dounan railway station (斗南車站).
- 6 Shigui railway station (石龜車站).
National Highway No. 1 and No. 3 pass through Yunlin County.
Douliu City is covered in its own page, and so this list will exclude attractions there and focus on the rest of the county.
History and culture
- 1 Erlun Story House (二崙故事館). The story house building was built as the Erlun Police Station in 1899 during the Japanese rule of Taiwan. It was the first police station in Yunlin.
- 2 February 28 Incident Monument, ☏ . A monument to the anti-government uprising in 1947 which sparked the decades-long White Terror in Taiwan.
- 3 House of Citizen-Memorial Hall of Attendance (行啟紀念公民會館). The hall was built to commemorate the Crown Prince Hirohito's visit to Taiwan in 1923. Wu Keming initiated the construction of the hall with funds he raised from community donations and government. It was also used as a public gathering venue for residents for meetings, seminars, banquets, and performances.
- 4 Jhen Wen Academy (振文書院). The academy was built in 1797 as Wen Chang Temple to worship five major heavenly emperors of learning during the Qing Dynasty rule of Taiwan.
- Tuku Story House (土庫故事屋).
- 5 Yunlin Story House (雲林故事館). It was constructed in 1923 as the residence of the Huwei County Magistrate of the Japanese government. The building houses a number of literature-related exhibitions and events.
- 6 Zhaoan Hakka Cultural Hall (詔安客家文化館). The cultural building was designed around the traditional Hakka circular building style.
Museums and galleries
- 7 Beigang Cultural Center (北港文化中心).
- 8 Farming and Irrigation Artifacts Museum (農田水利文物陳列館). The museum exhibits traditional irrigation techniques and their history.
- 9 Honey Museum (蜜蜂故事館). A museum dedicated to honey and beekeeping.
- 10 Soy Sauce Brewing Museum (黑金釀造館). Covering various aspects of soy sauce brewing and the history of the industry.
- 11 Yunlin Hand Puppet Museum (雲林布袋戲館). The building covers many aspects of hand puppets and related entertainment, which remains very popular throughout Taiwan. The museum building was built in 1931 as the Huwei District office. After the handover of Taiwan from Japan to the Republic of China in 1945, the building was converted into a police station.
- 12 Beigang Wude Temple (北港武德宮), No. 330, Huasheng Road, Beigang Township, ☏ .
- 13 Chaotian Temple (朝天宫). Constructed in 1700, this temple has become one of the most important Mazu temples in Taiwan and is known for its extravagant temple architecture. It is visited by more than a million pilgrims every year.
- 14 Dabu Shuntian Temple (大廍順天宮).
- 15 Dounan Shun'an Temple (斗南順安宮), No. 1, Section 1, Chang'an Road, Dounan Township, ☏ . A larger complex, much of the inside is gilded and ornately decorated.
- 16 Mailiao Gongfan Temple (麥寮拱範宮), No. 3, Zhongzheng Road, Mailiao Township, ☏ . A temple with a heavily decorated inverse-domed roof.
- 17 Mamingshan Zhen'an Temple (馬鳴山鎮安宮), ☏ . 05:00-21:00.
- 18 Santiaolun Haiqing Temple (三條崙海清宮), No. 93, Haiqing Road, Sihu Township, ☏ . 06:00-21:00.
- 19 Slta-vana Temple (寒林寺), No. 1 Zhongzheng Road, Dounan Township, ☏ . An ornate multi-storey Buddhist temple complex in Dounan Township.
- 20 Tuku Shuntian Temple (土庫順天宮), No. 109, Zhongzheng Road, Tuku Township, ☏ . A smaller temple heavily decorated with intricate wood-carvings.
- 21 Wutiaogang Anxi Temple (五條港安西府), No. 76, Zhongyang Road, Taixi Township, ☏ .
- 22 Xiluo Guangfu Temple (西螺廣福宮). Built in 1764, the name of the temple, "Guangfu" means 'broad blessing', and refers to the expansive courtyard of the temple complex.
- 23 Xiluo Fuxing Temple (西螺福興宮), No. 180, Yanping Road, Xiluo Township, ☏ .
- 24 Yong'an Temple (楊厝永安宮). This is a temple dedicated to the deity Chen Yuanguang, who his followers refer to as the "Sacred Prince, Developer of Zhangzhou".
- Beigang International Music Festival (北港國際音樂文化藝術節). A project of the Beigang Philharmonic Association, the festival takes place in Beigang. The festival has a series of concerts, mostly wind music, and an educational program within the Chia-Hu Conservatory. The festival also organizes an intercultural program for musicians from different countries.
- 1 Janfusun Fancyworld (劍湖山世界). The park occupies an area of approximately 60 ha. Janfusun Fancyworld is the home of the 88-m tall Sky Wheel, a giant Ferris wheel. It has 50 passenger capsules and offers views across the Chianan Plain. The park's roller coasters include Diving Machine G5 and Insane Speed, both built by Swiss manufacturer Bolliger & Mabillard.
Parks and nature
- 2 Chenglong Wetlands (成龍溼地). An area of scenic wetland spanning over 50 ha.
- 3 Erlun Sports Park (二崙運動公園).
- 4 Longfeng Waterfall (龍鳳瀑布).
- 5 Penglai Waterfall (蓬萊瀑布). The waterfall used to feature a cable car system but was destroyed during the 921 earthquake in 1999.
- 6 Ten Thousand Year Gorge (萬年峽谷).
- 7 Wannian Canyon (萬年峽谷), ☏ .
Eat and drink
- 1 Baozhong Night Market (褒忠夜市), No. 21, Tiancai Street, Baozhong Township. Thur 1700-2300.
- 2 Cian Temple Night Market (東勢賜安宮夜市), No. 25, Sian Road, Dongshi Township. Tue, Fri 1800-2200.
- 3 Citong Night Market (莿桐夜市), Citong Township. Fri 1700-0100.
- 4 Dongnan Night Market (東南觀光夜市), Dongnan Road, Xiluo Township, ☏ . Sun 1700-23:30.
- 5 Dounan Night Market (斗南夜市), Zhongxing Road, Dounan Township. Sat 1700-0000.
- 6 Erlun Night Market (二崙夜市), No. 107 Zhongshan Road, Erlun Township. Wed 1700-0000.
- 7 Huwei Night Market (虎尾夜市), Guangfu Road, Huwei Township, ☏ . Fri 1700-0100.
- 8 Lun Feng Night Market (崙豐夜市). Sun 1800-0000.
- 9 Maguang Night Market (馬光夜市). Wed 1700-2300.
- 10 Sihe Night Market (四合夜市). Mon 1700-2300.
- 11 Tuku Night Market (土庫夜市), No. 49, Zhangrong Street, Tuku Township. Mon 1700-2300.
- 12 Yuanchang Night Market (元長夜市), No. 70, Yuanzhong Road, Yuanchang Township. Tues 1700-0000.
- 13 Zhennan Temple Night Market (鎮南宮夜市), No. 27, Xinxing Road, Mailiao Township. 1700-0100.