Xinxiang (新乡; Xīnxiāng) is a city in Henan. It dates from the Sui Dynasty, about 600 CE.
The nearest major airport is Zhengzhou's Xinzheng Airport. Frequent high-speed C trains connect this airport to Zhengzhou East Railway Station, where you can transfer to a train to Xinxiang.
- 1 Xinxiang East Railway Station (新乡东站). is a station on the Beijing–Guangzhou–Shenzhen–Hong Kong High-Speed Railway, one stop north of Zhengzhou East. It has frequent service to Zhengzhou East, and regular service to many other destinations in China.
- 2 Xinxiang Railway Station (新乡站). is north of Zhengzhou on the Beijing-Guangzhou railway, and has regular sleeper service to many parts of China.
- 3 Xinxiang Bus Terminal (新乡客运总站). The main bus station is just southeast of Xinxiang station.
There are also north and east bus stations.
Like most cities in China, there is a reasonable taxi system, and buses. The two railway stations are linked by bus 66 several times per hour (1 RMB, ~45 minutes).
- 1 Wanxianshan Scenic Area (万仙山景区, Guoliang Tunnel) (There are several buses per day from 4 Huixian Bus Terminal (辉县汽车站), most of them originating in Xinxiang). This area in the Taihang mountains on the border with Shanxi features a valley encircled by more than 100m high sandstone cliffs and is protected as a national geological park and national forest park. Atop the cliffs sit small villages, and above those villages are even higher limestone cliffs. The villages in the area, including Guoliang itself, are made from slabs of this stone held together with white mortar, making the buildings visually striking. To enable access to their village, in the 1970s, residents of Guoliang village hacked a tunnel through the lower cliff, which is now a tourist attraction. The village of Kunshan, just across the border in Shanxi and accessible by the park shuttle bus, later carved an even longer and more hair-raising tunnel through the upper limestone cliff to access the rest of their province. This tunnel, which starts about 3.5km outside Kunshan village and 200m above it, is not accessible by anything larger than a minivan and is closed to the general driving public. Hiring a local vehicle can get you there, at a price that the drivers will agree on amongst themselves once they see you.
- 2 Lu Wang's Tomb (潞王陵). Tomb of emperor Wan Li's Brother Lu Wang. This is nearly an exact duplicate of one of the Ming dynasty tombs located outside of Beijing. Close examination reveals a change in the dragon designs so that there are two instead of one in the stone working. Lu Wang desired to be the emperor so much tried copying much of the architecture found in Beijing at the time. Thirteen sets of animals line the entrance to the tomb, some mystical, and some real. There was some damage during the cultural revolution, and not all of the structure has been restored to its original state.
- 3 Xinxiang Museum (新乡市博物馆, 平原博物院 Pingyuan Museum), 697 Renmin East Road, Hongqi District (红旗区人民东路697号) (bus nos. 45, 62 and 191), ☏ . 09:00-17:00, no entry after 16:30, closed on Mondays. Free.
Hui mian noodles are served in many restaurants. This is a noodle soup with lamb meat, or other kinds of meat.
|Routes through Xinxiang|
|Beijing ← Handan ←||N S||→ Zhengzhou → Wuhan|