The parish was named after the old Ås (Norse Áss) farm, since the first church was built there. The name is identical with the word áss meaning "hill", "ridge" or "esker". As of 2020, its centre is being extended, with more housing projects and nightlife in the near future.
The city centre is quite small so you can easily walk around, but a car would be practical if you want to see more. It is also possible to rent a bike, which gives you the opportunity to experience more of the beautiful nature.
Ås city centre and the surroundings is perfect for bicycling and the future for the centre is under development by urban planning.
- 1 Norsk Landbruksmuseum (Norwegian Agriculture Museum). A cozy museum with a café where you can enjoy traditional Norwegian bakery and a souvenir shop with gifts, books, honey, bakery, and agricultural products.
- The Leonardo da Vinci bridge (by Nygårdskrysset). The drawings of the bridge by Leonardo da Vinci made into real life by the Norwegian painter and artist Vebjørn Sand.
- 2 Ås Church (Ås kirke), Kirkeveien 35, ☏ . A beautiful little church made in 1867.
- 1 Samfunnet, Drøbakveien 26. Samfunnet is the students' own organization in Ås, and it is where most of the social things happens between the students.
- The Park around the Norwegian University of Life Sciences
- Tusenfryd Amusement park
- Nordby svømmehall
- Vinterbro senter
- Noca Tours Naturcamp
- Ås Kinoteater
- Azur - Sells clothes, shoes, bags, accessories, and also yarn and knitting supplies.
- Norli Bokhandel - Sells books, school supplies, toys, puzzle games.
- Ås Skotøymagasin - Sells shoes, socks, bags and umbrellas.
- Ås Vinmonopol - Sells wine, strong spirits and beer.
- Asian Deli - Sells cheap asian food, mostly noodles and seafood, vegetables and hookah pipes.
- 1 Ås stasjonscafe, Brekkeveien 4.
- 2 Charlie's Diner, Rådhusplassen 35. Opened in 2019, serves cheap meals for students/families concentrating on hamburgers, kebab, pizza and pasta dishes. The diner also has a bar opened until closing hours.
- 3 Aas Bistro, Brekkeveien 5. This restaurant opened in June 2014, and is own and run by two passionate food lovers. The menu consists of meat, fish, shellfish, vegetables, cheese, herbs, fruits, beer and wine/spirits.
- 4 Babylon Pizza, Brekkeveien 3H.
- 1 Click Bar. A charming restaurant serving food to eat or take away. You can have a cold beer while enjoying your favorite pizza. In the weekends the nightclub is open in the basement, and specializes in live music.
- 2 Wayne's Coffee Ås, Rådhusplassen 21. International coffee with cookies, croissants and ice cream
- 1 Ås Guesthouse (in the city centre). A small, but very homely accommodation
|Routes through Ås|
|Central Oslo ← South Oslo ←||N S||→ Moss → Gothenburg|