The municipality of Óbidos is divided into seven freguesias (civil parishes):
- 1 A dos Negros
- 2 Amoreira
- 3 Gaeiras
- 4 Olho Marinho
- 5 Santa Maria, São Pedro e Sobral da Lagoa — containing the town of Óbidos itself
- 6 Usseira
- 7 Vau
- 1 Posto de Turismo de Óbidos (Óbidos Tourism Post), Rua da Porta da Vila, ☏ , email@example.com. 9:30–13:00 & 14:00–17:30 daily.
- 1 Rodoviária do Oeste, Rua da Praça. PDF timetable. Rodoviária do Oeste's Rápida Verde coach bus service provides frequent connections from Lisbon, Bombarral, and Caldas da Rainha. This is the fastest way from Lisbon, with services from Campo Grande station taking exactly 1 hour and departing every 30 minutes. €8.00 from Lisbon.
- 2 Óbidos railway station. PDF timetable. Óbidos is served by Comboios de Portugal's (Trains of Portugal) Linha do Oeste (Western Line). However, from Lisbon, the train is much slower and less frequent than the bus, taking almost two hours.
Óbidos town lies on both the A8 and A15 motorways. The N8 national road passes right by the castle walls and entryway. Paid parking is available outside the walls.
Most sights in Óbidos are within or near the castle walls, so walking should suffice for most travellers.
- OBI–Transporte do Concelho de Óbidos. Bus service from Óbidos town to the surrounding villages. Each route operates once per week.
- 1 Castelo de Óbidos (Óbidos Castle), Rua Josefa de Óbidos. The village is dominated by an old medieval castle with a portion of the village located within the fortress walls.
- 2 Eburobrittium. Eburobrittium was a Roman town in Lusitania, near the present town of Óbidos. The city was mentioned by Pliny the Elder as located between Collipo and Olisipo.
- 3 Igreja de Santa Maria (Church of St. Mary), Praça de Santa Maria, ☏ . The mother church/main church of Óbidos. In Moorish times, this was a mosque. After the Christian reconquest in 1148, it was dedicated as a Catholic church. Much renovation occurred in the 16th century, when the bell tower was added.
- 4 Museu Municipal de Óbidos (Municipal Museum), Rua Direita 97 (in the old Council Chamber House), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu–Su 10:00–13:00 & 14:00–17:00, closed M. The museum covers the town's art and religious devotion. It features paintings from the 16th and 17th centuries, particularly by André Reinoso and Josefa d’Óbidos.
- 5 Óbidos Aqueduct (Aqueduto de Óbidos). The Óbidos Aqueduct is a 16th-century aqueduct that spans the municipality.
- 6 Porta da Vila (Porta da Senhora da Piedade), Rua Josefa de Óbidos 2. The entryway into the town's medieval walls takes you through a tiled portico. On a balcony above, here's a baroque chapel-oratory dedicated to Our Lady of Mercy, the town's patron saint (a/k/a Mary, the mother of Jesus).
- 7 Santuário do Senhor Jesus da Pedra, Largo do Santuário (N8 road NE of Óbidos town). This sanctuary, inaugurated in 1747, is one of Portugal's main baroque monuments. Its unusual hexagonal shape is surprising.
- Walk along the 1.5 km (0.93 mi) walls of the fortress.
- Óbidos offers a number of golf courses and resorts:
- Ginja de Óbidos (or Ginjinha de Óbidos), a typical cherry liquor with a strong taste. You can buy small or medium bottles to drink or take home.
- 1 A Nova Casa de Ramiro, Rua Porta do Vale 12, email@example.com. M 19:00–23:00, Tu-F 12:00–15:00 & 19:00–23:00, Sa 12:00–16:00 & 19:00–23:00, closed Su. Specializes in fish, particularly cod.
- 2 Pontinha, Capela, s/n, Rua Dom João de Ornelas, ☏ . W Th Su 19:00–22:00, Fr Sa 19:00–02:00, closed M Tu. €30-55.
- 3 Vila Infanta, Largo do Santuário do Senhor da Pedra 21A, ☏ . Th–M 12:00–15:00 & 19:00–22:00, Tu 12:00–15:00, W closed. Family-style Portuguese comfort food.
- 1 Albergaria Rainha Santa Isabel (Queen Saint Elizabeth Inn), Rua Direita 63, ☏ . Check-in: 15:30–22:30, check-out: 08:00–12:00. Three-star hotel within the castle walls. €47-63.
- 2 Bom Sucesso Resort, Bom Sucesso, Vau, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 17:00, check-out: 12:00. Four-star hotel resort with golf course. Contemporary-style townhouse villas with shared pool. They are fully equipped and offer garden and golf course views. €95-203.
- 3 Casa das Senhoras Rainhas, Rua do Padre Nunes Tavares 6, ☏ , email@example.com. Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 12:00. This four-star, 9-room hotel is within the castle walls. €76-127.
- 4 Evolutee Hotel at Royal Obidos Spa & Golf Resort, Cabeço da Serra - Vau, ☏ . Check-in: 15:00–00:00, check-out: 06:00–11:00. Five-star, 39-room "boutique" hotel with ocean views. Amenities include room service, minibar, spa, sauna, pool, fitness centre, golf course, business centre, and meeting rooms. €98-144.
- 5 The Literary Man Óbidos Hotel, Rua Dom João de Ornelas, ☏ . Check-in: 15:00–20:00, check-out: 08:00–12:00. This four-star, 30-room hotel in a converted convent is a reader's delight, with bookshelves stacked wall-to-wall and floor-to-ceiling. It's both a bookshop and a library. A/C, free Wi-Fi, free breakfast. There's a gin bar. €75-109.
- 6 Pousada Castelo Óbidos, Paço Real, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 12:00. Travellers can stay at a pousada (inn) inside the medieval castle. The structure may be centuries old, but the amenities are modern and include room service, a restaurant, and free Wi-Fi. €131-357.
- 7 Praia D'El Rey Marriott Golf & Beach Resort, Avenida D. Inês de Castro, Vale de Janelas, ☏ . Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 12:00. At this five-star hotel, all 177 rooms have private terraces or balconies facing either the ocean or the 18-hole golf course and gardens. The resort features two restaurants, two bars, fitness center, indoor heated pool, outdoor pool, Jacuzzi, Turkish bath, spa, and meeting facilities. A kids club provides indoor and outdoor activities. €119-204.
- 8 West Cliffs, Estrada do Rio Cortiço 4, Vau, ☏ , email@example.com. Check-in: 16:00–22:00, check-out: 08:00–10:00. West Cliffs golf resort includes a restaurant, free parking, and an outdoor swimming pool. The rooms have a patio with garden views and free WiFi.
- 9 Pousada Vila Óbidos, Largo Dr. João Lourenço, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 12:00.
- Alcobaça — monastery and excellent conventual sweets and pastries
- Batalha — near Fátima is located the beautiful Monastery of Saint Mary of the Victory of the Battle
- Caldas da Rainha – charming, unassuming city to experience authentic daily Portuguese life
- Fátima — the city and the Marian shrine of the worldwide famous apparitions of the Virgin Mary
- Nazaré — a lovely village that became an international surf spot and entered into the Guinness World Records for its gigantic sea waves
- Peniche and the Berlengas islands
- Tomar — the city of the Knights Templar: it is highly recommended to visit the medieval castle and the Convent of Christ