In recognition of its literary connections, UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) added Óbidos to its Creative Cities Network in 2015.
- 1 Posto de Turismo de Óbidos (Óbidos Tourism Post), Rua da Porta da Vila, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 9:30–13:00 & 14:00–17:30 daily.
- 1 Rodoviária do Oeste, Rua da Praça. PDF timetable. Rodoviária do Oeste's Rápida Verde coach bus service provides frequent connections from Lisbon, Bombarral, and Caldas da Rainha. €7.95 from Lisbon.
- 2 Óbidos railway station. PDF timetable. Óbidos is served by Comboios de Portugal's (Trains of Portugal) Linha do Oeste (Western Line).
Óbidos town lies on both the A8 and A15 motorways. The N8 national road passes right by the castle walls and entryway. Paid parking is available outside the walls.
Most sights in Óbidos are within or near the castle walls, so walking should suffice for most travellers.
- OBI–Transporte do Concelho de Óbidos. Bus service from Óbidos town to the surrounding villages. Each route operates once per week.
- 1 Castelo de Óbidos (Óbidos Castle), Rua Josefa de Óbidos. The village is dominated by an old medieval castle with a portion of the village located within the fortress walls.
- 2 Eburobrittium. Eburobrittium was a Roman town in Lusitania, near the present town of Óbidos. The city was mentioned by Pliny the Elder as located between Collipo and Olisipo.
- 3 Igreja de Santa Maria (Church of St. Mary), Praça de Santa Maria, ☏ . The mother church/main church of Óbidos. In Moorish times, this was a mosque. After the Christian reconquest in 1148, it was dedicated as a Catholic church. Much renovation occurred in the 16th century, when the bell tower was added.
- 4 Museu Municipal de Óbidos (Municipal Museum), Rua Direita 97 (in the old Council Chamber House), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu–Su 10:00–13:00 & 14:00–17:00, closed M. The museum covers the town's art and religious devotion. It features paintings from the 16th and 17th centuries, particularly by André Reinoso and Josefa d’Óbidos.
- 5 Óbidos Aqueduct (Aqueduto de Óbidos). The Óbidos Aqueduct is a 16th-century aqueduct that spans the municipality.
- 6 Porta da Vila (Porta da Senhora da Piedade), Rua Josefa de Óbidos 2. The entryway into the town's medieval walls takes you through a tiled portico. On a balcony above, here's a baroque chapel-oratory dedicated to Our Lady of Mercy, the town's patron saint (a/k/a Mary, the mother of Jesus).
- 7 Santuário do Senhor Jesus da Pedra, Largo do Santuário (N8 road NE of Óbidos town). This sanctuary, inaugurated in 1747, is one of Portugal's main baroque monuments. Its unusual hexagonal shape is surprising.
- Walk the 1.5 km (0.93 mi) walls of the fortress.
- Ginja de Óbidos (or Ginjinha de Óbidos), a typical cherry liquor with a strong taste. You can buy small or medium bottles to drink or take home.
- 1 A Nova Casa de Ramiro, Rua Porta do Vale 12, ✉ email@example.com. M 19:00–23:00, Tu-F 12:00–15:00 & 19:00–23:00, Sa 12:00–16:00 & 19:00–23:00, closed Su. Specializes in fish, particularly cod.
- 2 Pontinha, Capela, s/n, Rua Dom João de Ornelas, ☏ . W Th Su 19:00–22:00, Fr Sa 19:00–02:00, closed M Tu. €30–€55.
- 1 Albergaria Rainha Santa Isabel (Hotel Rainha Santa Isabel), Rua Direita 63, ☏ . Check-in: 15:30–22:30, check-out: 08:00–12:00. Three-star hotel within the castle walls. €47–€63.
- 2 Casa das Senhoras Rainhas, Rua do Padre Nunes Tavares 6, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 12:00. This four-star, 9-room hotel is within the castle walls. €76–€127.
- 3 Praia D'El Rey Marriott Golf & Beach Resort, Avenida D. Inês de Castro, Vale de Janelas, ☏ . Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 12:00. At this five-star hotel, all 177 rooms have private terraces or balconies facing either the ocean or the 18-hole golf course and gardens. The resort features two restaurants, two bars, fitness center, indoor heated pool, outdoor pool, Jacuzzi, Turkish bath, spa, and meeting facilities. A kids club provides indoor and outdoor activities. €119–€204.
- Alcobaça — monastery and excellent conventual sweets and pastries
- Batalha — near Fátima is located the beautiful Monastery of Saint Mary of the Victory of the Battle
- Caldas da Rainha – charming, unassuming city to experience authentic daily Portuguese life
- Fátima — the city and the Marian shrine of the worldwide famous apparitions of the Virgin Mary
- Nazaré — a lovely village that became an international surf spot and entered into the Guinness World Records for its gigantic sea waves
- Peniche and the Berlengas islands
- Tomar — the city of the Knights Templar: it is highly recommended to visit the medieval castle and the Convent of Christ