Aars is a relatively young town, established only 150 years ago. The town is well known for it's beautiful town centre and its many monuments and artworks by Per Kirkeby.
At Christmas time, the town is also known for its extensive Christmas decorations.
Hometown of the Cimbri
Because of several archeological finds, like the Gundestrup cauldron, the area is commonly said to be the home of the Cimbri - an ancient germanic tribe that fought the Roman Republic between 113 and 101 BC, alongside the Teutones and the Ambrones.
A copy of the Gundestrup cauldron is on permanent display at the local museum; Vesthimmerlands Museum.
- 1 Aalborg Airport (AAL) (Aalborg Lufthavn), Ny Lufthavnsvej 100, 9400 Nørresundby, ☏ , email@example.com. Aalborg Airport (AAL IATA) has both domestic and international routes. From Aalborg Airport, you can rent a car or take the shuttle bus to Aalborg Railway Station or Bus Station; they are next to each other. From the bus station, you can take a bus directly to Aars (Line 52 or 951X). From the railway station, you can take the train to Støvring, Arden or Hobro - and from here, you can take busses directly to Aars.
- 2 Aars Bus Station (Aars Busterminal). From Aars Bus Station, you can go to other small towns in Vesthimmerland or travel directly to larger towns as Aalborg and Viborg - or to Hobro, where you can take the train and travel on the mail national railway line between Aalborg and Copenhagen.
- 3 Hobro Railway Station (Hobro Togstation), Stationsvej 12, 9500 Hobro. When arriving at the railway station in Hobro, you can take a bus (line 57) from the railway station, directly to Aars.
- 1 Dansk Nutidsmuseum, Støberivej 8. Experience everyday lives of locals in Aars and Denmark throughout the last 100 years. Learn about the development of modern technology, local crafts and trades and home furnishings. 0-40 DKK.
- 2 Vesthimmerlands Museum (Aars Museum), Søndergade 44, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. An interesting an modern museum of art and cultural history, in a local context. An addition to the museum buildings has been designed by the world renowned artist Per Kirkeby. 0-40 DKK.
- Per Kirkeby art and monuments. Per Kirkeby has designed several buildings (the concert hall "Vesthimmerlands Musikhus ALFA", "Vesthimmerlands Museum" and "Vesthimmerlands Gymnatium" etc). Find walking routes and further information at Vesthimmerlands Museum. 0 DKK.
- 3 Aars Public Park (Aars Lystanlæg). A beautiful and family friendly public park in the town centre. The park has several tables and benches, where you can enjoy a nice picnic, while the kids make use of the modern playground equipment in the park or play soccer on the grass.
- 4 The Aars Runestone ('Aars stone' or 'DR 131'), Kirkeplads 1 (on a mound in the churchyard). The Aars stone is a late Viking Age runestone. Dated to the late 10th to early 11th century, it bears an inscription in memory of Toke Gormsson, known as Valtoke, who died at the Battle of Fýrisvellir. The stone reads: (Front) Asser placed this stone in memory of Valtóki, his lord. (Rear) The stone proclaims that it will stand here forever, and it will mark Valtóki's cairn. Toke was said to be Earl of Vendsyssel and even King or Earl of Scania. He was a son of Gorm the Old, but it has been said that he was an illegitimate child. FREE.
- 5 Messecenter Vesthimmerland, Messevej 1, ☏ , email@example.com. A large indoor venue, hosting a wide range of events, trade shows, expos and concerts.
- 6 ALFA - Vesthimmerlands Concert Hall (ALFA Vesthimmerlands Musikhus), Jyllandsgade 54, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. The modern concert hall is build from a sketch from the world renowned artist Per Kirkeby. It is a venue hosting a wide range of concerts, plays, musicals and comedy - concerts include some international artist.
- 7 Aars Cinema (Aars Teater Bio), Himmerlandsgade 67, ☏ , email@example.com. A small but modern cinema, where you can see both Danish movies and international blockbusters. International movies are almost never dubbed - except for some kids movies.
- 8 Himmerland Historical Collection and Archive, Søndergade 24, ☏ . A collection and archive of items relating to the Danish resistance during the second world war. The collection is situated in the basement underneath the public library and is open on request.
- 1 Aars Golf Course (Aars Golfklub), Tandrupvej 6, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Aars Golfklub offers varied natural surroundings with exciting and diverse layout - alternating between open landscape, small wooded areas, lakes and green fairways. The facility is designed for both younger and older players. The layout challenges golfers of any levels, but most come through with a reasonable score.
- 2 Aars public swimming pools (Aars Svømmehal og Friluftsbad), Himmerlandsgade 25, ☏ . Public indoor and outdoor swimming pools for both swimming and recreation. 22-34 DKK.
- 3 Dog Walking Park, Aars Skov (Hundeskoven, Aars Skov). A fenced-in forest-park dedicated to walking your dog without a leash. Your dog must be friendly towards other dogs, obey commands and not be in heat.
- 4 Dog Walking Park, Halkær Å (Hundeskoven, Halkær Å). Another fenced-in forest-park, the same rules to the former park apply.
- 5 The Planet Trail (Planetstien). The Planet Trail is a bicycle and hiking trail of approx. 7 km - stretching from Aars to Blære. The trail has been established to grasp the vast stretch of our solar system with pillars representing the planets in a size ratio of 1 : 1.000.000.000. The route stars at the sun, which is placed at the bus station in Aars, from wher you can cycle or walk to Pluto, wich is placed in the village of Blære. Next to each of the pillars, you'll find information about the individual planets. Free.
- 6 Himmerlands Gokart Centre (Himmerlands Gokart Center), Messevej 1, ☏ , email@example.com. Only open for pre-booking. 250-400 DKK.
- 1 Restaurant Alanya (Alanya Pizzeria), Assersvej 2, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. This family run pizzaria has room for 80 persons offers pizzas, pasta, burgers and steaks, etc.
- 2 Cafe 89, Himmerlandsgade 89, ☏ . Cafe 89 serves fast-food dishes, sandwiches, salads, pasta, burgers, steaks etc.
- 3 Café Enzo, Himmerlandsgade 40, ☏ . Fast food items, pizza, pasta, burgers and steaks etc.
- 4 Den Kinesiske Mur (The Great Wall of China Restaurant), Præstegårdsvej 5, ☏ . Chinese all-you-can-eat buffet restaurant with Chinese food, Mongolian BBQ, sushi and fast food items.
- 5 Klemmen, Himmerlandsgade 46, ☏ . Klemmen is a take-out restaurant, offering traditional Danish smørrebrød (open faced sandwiches) and hotdogs, as well as sandwiches and fast food dishes.
- 6 Kylling & Co, Himmerlandsgade 25, ☏ , email@example.com. A take-out resraurant with healthy fast food options - salads, sandwiches and oven fried chicken/-spare ribs.
- 7 Frk. Kold, Himmerlandsgade 65, ☏ . Small cafe offering great coffe, snacks and light tapas.
- 8 Luksus Sandwich, Himmerlandsgade 40A, ☏ . A fast-food restaurant offering sandwiches and fast-food.
- 9 Grillen, Kimbrertorvet 1, ☏ . A fast food restaurant and ice cream shop. Offers hot dogs, burgers and ice cream.
- 10 Zab Zab Thai, Himmerlandsgade 40, ☏ . Thai restaurant.
- 1 Crazy Daisy, Himmerlandsgade 106, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. A two storey disco/club.
- 2 Aviskontoret, Himmerlandsgade 39. Aviskontoret is a small, but cosy pub.
- 1 Oustrup Wine (Oustrup Vin), Plantagevej 2a, ☏ , email@example.com. Oustrup Vin produces exclusive Danish wines, produced from grapes grown in the sandy soil of Himmerland. The 0.8 ha vineyard was established in 2001 by the Stenild and Myrup families. In 3 years 2500 vines were planted. The vines are mainly cared for by hand, and no chemical pesticides are used. The grape harvest takes place at the end of September / early October by gentle hand picking and sorting. The white wines are produced from "Zarles Pearl" and "Orion" grapes, while the red wines are produced from "Rondo", "Bolero" and "Leon Millot" grapes.
- 2 Peders Bakery (Peders Bageri), Himmerlandsgade 108, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. The location of Peders Bakery has housed a bakery non-stop since 1910. From approx. 1940 until 1974, the bakery was run by Dagny and N.B. Grønning. When the couple retired, the bakery was taken over by Bodil and Peder Kristensen - whom still owns the bakery. At the bakery you can buy traditional Danish pastries, cakes, bread, sandwiches and breakfast rolls.
- 3 Skjold Burne wine- and speciality shop (Trappist.dk), Himmerlandsgade 81, ☏ , email@example.com. Skjold Burne has a wide selection of wines, beers, coffee and teas - as well as high quality chocolates and sweets.
- 1 Aars Hotel, Himmerlandsgade 111 (on the main street), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. A charming and cosy town hotel in the town centre. The current buildings are from 1897, but the hotel has existed since at least 1688. The hotel has 27 modern rooms and a restaurant, with a seasonal menu, open for lunch and dinner.
- 2 Sjøstrup Søndergaard Bed & Breakfast, Sjøstrupvej 63, Sjøstrup, ☏ , email@example.com. Cosy Countryside Bed and Breakfast, situated only 3,5 km (2.17 miles) from Aars.
- 3 Landlyst B&B, Nyrupvej 4, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Countryside Bed and Breakfast, situated only 2 km. (1.2 miles) from Aars. The property is located at the Himmerlandsstien bike path (Viborg - Løgstør), which will take you directly to the centre of Aars. The rooms, which are placed in one end of the residence, have access to a private bathroom and it is possible to borrow refrigerator/freezer Mulighed for køl og frys. The property has a nice enclosed garden with a lake, where you can enjoy your breakfast. The property also houses chickens, cows and calves.
- 4 Himmerland Resort, Lars Larsens Vej 1, 9640 Farsø, ☏ , email@example.com. Check-in: 15.00-22.00, check-out: 06.00-11.00. A holiday resort offering a wide range restaurants and activities - eg. Swimming Pools, Wellness center, Bowling, Outdoor activities and Golf courses.
- 5 Himmerland Camping & Feriecenter, Bjørnstrupvej 45, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. A camping site for tents, caravans and campers/RV's - and they also offer cabins for rent. The site has an indoor pool.
- 1 Rold Skov. Head for one of the largest forests in Denmark, just about half-an-hours drive east of Aars. Rold Skov forests dates back to the last Ice Age and presents some amazing natural scenery with a rich history. There is a visitors center in the small town of Rebild in the northern region of the forests. Ample opportunity for picnics, hikes and extended stays.