Because of several archeological finds, like the Gundestrup couldron, the area is commenly said to be the home of the Cimbri - an ancient germanic tribe that fought the Roman Republic between 113 and 101 BC, alongside the Teutones and the Ambrones.
Aars is a relatively young town, established only 150 years ago. The town is well known for it's beautiful town centre and it's many monuments and artworks by Per Kirkeby. At christmas time, the town is also known for its extensive christmas decorations.
Aalborg Airport (AAL IATA) has both domestic and international routes. From Aalborg Airport, you can rent a car or take the shuttle bus to Aalborg Railway Station or Bus Station; they are next to each other. From the bus station, you can take a bus directly to Aars. From the railway station, you can take the train to Støvring, Arden or Hobro - and from here, you can take the bus directly to Aars.
- 1 Aars Bus Station (Aars Busterminal). From Aars Bus Station, you can go to other small towns in Vesthimmerland or travel directly to larger towns as Aalborg and Viborg - or to Hobro, where you can take the train and travel on the mail national railway line between Aalborg and Copenhagen.
- Hobro Railway Station (Hobro Togstation), Stationsvej 12, 9500 Hobro. When arriving at the railway station in Hobro, you can take a bus (line 57) from the railway station, directly to Aars.
- 1 Dansk Nutidsmuseum, Støberivej 8. Experience everyday lives of locals in Aars and Denmark throughout the last 100 years. Learn about the development of modern technology, local crafts and trades and home furnishings. 0-40 DKK.
- 2 Vesthimmerlands Museum (Aars Museum), Søndergade 44, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. An interesting an modern museum of art and cultural history, in a local context. An addition to the museum buildings has been designed by the world renowned artist Per Kirkeby. 0-40 DKK.
- Per Kirkeby art and monuments. Per Kirkeby has designed several buildings (the concert hall "Vesthimmerlands Musikhus ALFA", "Vesthimmerlands Museum" and "Vesthimmerlands Gymnatium" etc). Find walking routes and further information at Vesthimmerlands Museum. 0 DKK.
- 3 Aars Public Park (Aars Lystanlæg). A beautiful and family friendly public park in the town centre. The park has several tables and benches, where you can enjoy a nice picnic, while the kids make use of the modern
playground equipment in the park or play soccer on the grass.
- 1 Aars Golf Course (Aars Golfklub), Tandrupvej 6, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Aars Golfklub offers varied natural surroundings with exciting and diverse layout - alternating between open landscape, small wooded areas, lakes and green fairways. The facility is designed for both younger and older players. The layout challenges golfers of any levels, but most come through with a reasonable score.
- 2 Aars public swimming pools (Aars Svømmehal og Friluftsbad), Himmerlandsgade 25, 9600 Aars, ☏ . Public indoor and outdoor swimming pools for both swimming and recreation. 22-34 DKK.
- 3 Dog Walking Park, Aars Skov (Hundeskoven, Aars Skov). A fenced-in forest-park dedicated to walking your dog without a leash. Your dog must be friendly towards other dogs, obey commands and not be in heat.
- 4 Dog Walking Park, Halkær Å (Hundeskoven, Halkær Å). Another fenced-in forest-park, the same rules to the former park apply.
- 5 Aars Bowling Alley (Aars Bowlingcenter), Hjortkjærsvej 1, 9600 Aars, ☏ .
- 1 Restaurant Alanya (Alanya Pizzeria), Assersvej 2, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. This family run pizzaria has room for 80 persons offers pizzas, pasta, burgers and steaks, etc.
- 2 Cafe 89, Himmerlandsgade 89, 9600, ☏ . Cafe 89 serves fast-food dishes, sandwiches, salads, pasta, burgers, steaks etc.
- 3 La Bella Café, Himmerlandsgade 40, ☏ . Fast food items, pizza, pasta, burgers and steaks etc.
- 4 Den Kinesiske Mur (The Great Wall of China Restaurant), Præstegårdsvej 5, ☏ . Chinese all-you-can-eat buffet restaurant with chinese food, mongolian bbq, sushi and fast food items.
- 5 Parma Restaurant, Bymidten 9, 9600, ☏ . Traditional pizzeria with pizzas, burgers, fast food dishes, steaks etc.
- 6 Klemmen, Himmerlandsgade 46, 9600, ☏ . Klemmen is a take-out restaurant, offering traditional Danish smørrebrød (open faced sandwiches) and hotdogs, as well as sandwiches and fast food dishes.
- 7 Kylling & Co, Himmerlandsgade 25, 9600, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. A take-out resraurant with healthy fast food options - salads, sandwiches and oven fried chicken/-spare ribs.
- 8 X Kiosk, Vestre Boulevard 6, 9600, ☏ . A take-out fast foot joint, located inside the kiosk at a gas station. X Kiosk offer traditional Danish hot dogs, burgers and other fast food items.
- 1 Crazy Daisy, Himmerlandsgade 106, 9600 Aars, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. A two storey disco/club.
- 2 Aviskontoret, Himmerlandsgade 39, 9600 Aars. Aviskontoret is a small, but cosy pub.
- 1 Oustrup Wine (Oustrup Vin), Plantagevej 2a, 9600 Aars, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Oustrup Vin produces exclusive Danish wines, produced from grapes grown in the sandy soil of Himmerland. The 0.8 ha vineyard was established in 2001 by the Stenild and Myrup families. In 3 years 2500 vines were planted. The vines are mainly cared for by hand, and no chemical pesticides are used. The grape harvest takes place at the end of September / early October by gentle hand picking and sorting. The white wines are produced from "Zarles Pearl" and "Orion" grapes, while the red wines are produced from "Rondo", "Bolero" and "Leon Millot" grapes.
- 2 Peders Bakery (Peders Bageri), Himmerlandsgade 108, 9600 Aars, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. The location of Peders Bakery has housed a bakery non-stop since 1910. From approx. 1940 until 1974, the bakery was run by Dagny and N.B. Grønning. When the couple retired, the bakery was taken over by Bodil and Peder Kristensen - whom still owns the bakery. At the bakery you can buy traditional Danish pastries, cakes, bread, sandwiches and breakfast rolls.
- 3 Skjold Burne wine- and speciality shop (Trappist.dk), Himmerlandsgade 81, 9600 Aars, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Skjold Burne has a wide selection of wines, beers, coffee and teas - as well as high quality chocolates and sweets.
- 1 Aars Hotel, Himmerlandsgade 111 (on the main street), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. A charming and cosy town hotel in the town centre. The current buildings are from 1897, but the hotel has existed since at least 1688. The hotel has 27 modern rooms and a restaurant, with a seasonal menu, open for lunch and dinner.
- 2 Sjøstrup Søndergaard Bed & Breakfast, Sjøstrupvej 63, Sjøstrup, 9600 Aars, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Cosy Countryside Bed and Breakfast, situated only 3,5 km (2.17 miles) from Aars.
- 3 Landlyst B&B, Nyrupvej 4, 9600 Aars, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Countryside Bed and Breakfast, situated only 2 km. (1.2 miles) from Aars. The property is located at the Himmerlandsstien bike path (Viborg - Løgstør), which will take you directly to the centre of Aars. The rooms, which are placed in one end of the residence, have access to a private bathroom and it is possible to borrow refrigerator/freezer Mulighed for køl og frys. The property has a nice enclosed garden with a lake, where you can enjoy your breakfast. The property also houses chickens, cows and calves.