Adams is a small town in the Berkshire Hills region of Massachusetts. It features the summit of Mt. Greylock, the highest point in Massachusetts at 3,491 ft (1064 m), which is on the Appalachian Trail.
Adams is on State Route 8. State Route 8 can be accessed from Dalton Avenue in northeast Pittsfield, from which you need to drive north to reach Adams.
The downtown area is small, but if you are anywhere outside that immediate area, it is best to have at least a bicycle to get around. Route 8 is not pleasant to walk on, while the cars speed past you.
Most non-hikers will probably prefer to drive to the summit of Mt. Greylock, though it is also possible to cycle up the winding roads.
- 1 Quaker Meeting House. Maple Street. Memorial Day to Labor Day 1PM-4PM. Large wood frame building built in 1782 by early settlers.
- 2 Susan B. Anthony Birthplace, 67 East Rd. Museum and gift shop open in the summer 10AM-4PM, Thursday-Monday.
- Victorian architecture homes. Summer Street. A National Register Historic District.
- 3 Mount Greylock State Reservation. West Mountain Rd. to Cheshire Harbor Trail (for hike). Run by the Massachusetts Department of Natural Resources, this 12,500 acre (50.6 km²) area features the state's only sub-alpine forest and includes the highest point in Massachusetts. About 70 miles (110 km) of trails traverse the mountain, including the Appalachian Trail. Five lean-to shelters are available for backpacking. The summit features Bascom Lodge which was built from local materials in the late 1930s and offers lodging and good hot food. Also at the summit is Veterans War Memorial Tower, a 93 ft (28 m) tall Quincy granite tower with possible 90-mile views. Make sure to bring warm clothing even in the summer; it can be quite windy at the summit.
- Headquarters/visitor center, 30 Rockwell Rd, ☏ . In Lanesborough. Memorial Day to Labor Day: from 9AM-9PM; Labor Day to Columbus Day: 9AM-7PM; Winter hours, Columbus Day to Memorial Day: 9AM-4PM. Closed: Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years Day. Has park trail maps and orientation, regional tourist information. Exhibits focus on the natural and cultural history of the park.
- Visitor center/Western Gateway Heritage State Park, 115 State St, Bldg 4, North Adams, ☏ . Open daily 10AM-5PM, year-round except Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years Day. Has park trail maps and orientation, regional tourist information. Exhibits focus on the histories of North Adams and the Hoosac Tunnel and local railroading.
- 1 Ashuwillticook Rail Trail. A 10-foot wide, 11 mile paved rail trail path. The Ashuwillticook (ash-oo-will-ti-cook) Rail Trail runs parallel to Route 8 through the towns of Cheshire, Lanesborough and Adams. The southern end of the trail begins at the entrance to the Berkshire Mall off Route 8 in Lanesborough. The northern end is at Adams center. The trail passes Cheshire Reservoir, the Hoosic River, and several wetland habitats with abundant wildlife. Parking lots and restrooms are available along the way. A pamphlet with maps is widely available.
The Western Mass Athletic Club runs numerous road, trail and snowshoe races along Adams streets and at the Greylock Glen area at the foot of Mount Greylock.
- Susan B. Anthony. Summer festival.
- Adams Agricultural Fair. In August.
- Fall Run Weekend and Motorcycle Ride. Benefiting Shriners Children's Hospital in Springfield, in September.
- Mount Greylock Ramble. On Columbus Day. Crowds of hikers come to mark the end of the season for driving to the summit. Massachusetts Veterans Memorial tower and Bascom Lodge at the summit also close at this time.
- Berkshire Outfitters, Rt. 8 Grove St., ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Mon, Tue, Wed, Fri: 10AM-6 PM; Thu: 10 AM-7PM; Sat: 10 AM-5 PM; Sun: 11 AM-4 PM. Aside from selling an excellent selection of outdoor supplies, they also rent bicycles, $25/3 hours and $35 for the whole day. The bicycles are in excellent condition, and the personnel are very nice and happy to adjust the bikes and let you try them out for a few minutes in the parking lot without starting the clock, before you ride them off the premises, such as on the nearby rail trail. If you miss your turnoff, they are happy to provide directions when you call. There are also two friendly store dogs.
- 1 Bascom Lodge, 3 Summit Rd, Adams (Accessible from Rockwell Rd in Lanesborough or Notch Rd in North Adams. Do not rely on GPS in the area), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Located at the summit of Mt. Greylock. Open seasonally, from May 14 to October 23. Various events are held throughout the year. $35-$150.
|Routes through Adams|
|Jct W E ← North Adams ←||N S||→ Cheshire → Pittsfield|
|END ←||N S||→ Deerfield → Springfield|