Bennington is a town in Southwestern Vermont. Boasting five covered bridges it is a classic Vermont country town, and is also home to Bennington College. This article also encompasses the neighboring town of North Bennington.
Bennington is a historically important town that contains many 18th- and 19th-century buildings, as well as much greenery in season. Its skyline is largely dominated by the Bennington Battle Monument, a large obelisk jutting into the sky that honors the achievements of the Green Mountain Boys, who fought effectively for the Revolutionaries in the American War of Independence. By so doing, the Green Mountain Boys also were able to make an effective case for Vermont to be admitted as a separate state from New York, and they were admitted in 1791 as the 14th state.
- Bennington Welcome Center, 100 Route 279 (Interchange of Routes 279 and 7), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Daily, 7AM-9PM.
Bennington is the second-to-southernmost town in Vermont on US Route 7 and as a township, it borders on New York State.
Bennington's downtown is at the intersection of US Route 7 (which goes south through the Massachusetts Berkshires and north to Rutland) and Burlington) and Vermont Route 9 (which goes east to Brattleboro and to the west, beyond the New York State line, becomes New York State Route 7 and connects with Troy). Although these routes have short stretches of limited access, they are mainly one lane in each direction, with stoplights. New York State Route 7 even has some hairpin curves a few miles to the west.
The closest major airport is in Albany.
The closest Greyhound Bus stop is in Williamstown, Massachusetts.
Downtown Bennington is walkable, but you'll probably need a car if you plan on doing much.
- 1 The Bennington Battle Monument, 15 Monument Circle, ☏ . Open daily 9AM-5PM, mid-April through Oct. A 306 ft stone obelisk commemorating the famous battle.
- Bennington Center For The Natural & Cultural Arts, Route 9 West Road (at Gypsy Lane), ☏ . Art galleries.
- Vermont Covered Bridge Museum, Route 7 (at Gypsy Lane), ☏ .
- Bennington Potters, 324 County St, toll-free: .
- Bennington Museum, 75 Main St, ☏ . Collections of American furniture, paintings and glass; military history and historical artifacts. Grandma Moses Gallery & Schoolhouse and Bennington Pottery Gallery.
- [dead link] North River Winery, 56 Colgate Heights, ☏ . Daily 10AM-5PM. Tasting room.
- Mt. Anthony Golf Course, 180 Country Club Dr, ☏ . 9 holes.
- 1 Bromley Mountain Resort. - located in Peru
- Shops at Camelot Village, Rte 9. Daily 9:30AM-5:30PM. Northeastern antiquing at its best. Somewhat expensive but fun to peruse if nothing else.
- The Grille at Mount Anthony Country Club, 180 Country Club Dr, ☏ . Classic country club dining. Pub menu, kids menu, lunch menu, and dinner menu. Full bar and Sunday brunches with complimentary champagne. Patio service with beautiful views of the southern Vermont landscape.
- Gimme Pizza, 748 Main St, ☏ . The Bennington pizza place.
- Marigold Kitchen, 25 Main Street, ☏ . Organic pizza, salad, bread. Vegetarian & Vegan friendly and gluten free selections. Lunch & dinner.
- Kevin's at Mike's, 27 Main Street, ☏ . Much-loved local sports bar. Great burgers and sweet potato fries.
- Jensen's Restaurant, 332 North St, ☏ . Family restaurant, moderate.
- Panda Garden, 141 West Main St, ☏ . Chinese.
- Pangaea, 1 Prospect St, ☏ . Fine dining.
- Little Britain, 116 North St, ☏ . Tu-Sa 11:30AM-8PM. Fish and chip shop like you would see in the UK.
- Madison Brewing Co. Pub & Restaurant, 428 Main St, ☏ .
- Alexandra Bed and Breakfast Inn, 916 Orchard Rd, ☏ , toll-free: .
- Best Western New Englander Motor Inn, 220 Northside Dr (Routes 67A and 7A), ☏ .
- Eddington House, 21 Main St, ☏ , toll-free: .
- Four Chimneys Inn & Restaurant, 21 West Rd, ☏ .
- Hampton Inn Bennington, 51 Hannaford Square, ☏ .
- Harwood Hill Hotel, Harwood Hill Road (Route 7A), ☏ , toll-free: .
- [formerly dead link] Henry House Inn, Murphy Rd, ☏ , toll-free: .
- Greenwood Lodge and Campsites, VT Hwy 9 and Prospect Access Rd, ☏ , fax: . Hostel accommodations and campsites in the Green Mountain National Forest
- 1 Green River Inn, 3402 Sandgate Rd, Sandgate (24 mi N of Bennington), toll-free: . This inn features 16 rooms on the Green River in the Green Mountains.
- Williamstown, MA is about 30 minutes away (Williams College, Williams College Museum of Art, more shopping and dining).
- North Adams, MA is about 40 minutes away (Mass MoCA).
- Albany is about one hour away.
- Brattleboro is an hour's drive via Route 9 East.
- Saratoga Springs is about 1½ hours' drive
- Boston is 3 hours away.
- Montreal and New York City are about 4 hours away.
|Routes through Bennington|
|Rutland ← Manchester ← Jct W ←||N S||→ Williamstown → Pittsfield|
|Manchester ← Arlington ←||N S||→ END|
|Troy ← becomes ←||W E||→ Jct S → Wilmington → Brattleboro|