Manchester is a town in southernwestern Vermont, nestled at the foot of 3,816-foot Mount Equinox. It has a tranquil old-world atmosphere, and Manchester Center is a shopper's paradise that is completely different from the village with its signs, sights and many shops. Manchester is also home to Hildene, Robert Todd Lincoln's 412-acre summer estate.
Manchester is 20 miles (32 km) north of Bennington, just off Route 7 at the intersection/exit of Route 11/30 or via Vermont Route 7A. Driving time from Albany, NY via Route 7 is about 1½ hours, or 2 hours via Route 7A; 4 hours from New York City; 3½ hours from Boston; 4 hours from Montreal; and 7 hours from Toronto.
There is regional bus service north to Rutland and south to Bennington.
The closest train station is in Rutland, Vermont (about 30 miles away). From Rutland, Amtrak has daily service to New York City. There is talk of Amtrak coming through Manchester via Albany, New York.
Hikers can take the Long Trail, which runs along the main ridge of the Green Mountains, coinciding with the Appalachian Trail for 100 miles (160 km) in southern Vermont. The Long Trail is within 3 miles of Manchester, just below Bromley Mountain.
The best ways to get around are by car, bicycle or on foot.
Taxi service is available from:
- Manchester All Hour Airport Car Service +1 802-362-0052
- Manchester Mini Van +1 802-262-7039
- Manchester Taxi +1 802-362-4118
- Southern Vermont Art Center, West Rd, ☏ . The Southern Vermont Arts Center prsents exhibitions and performances, provides education and instruction in the arts, exhibits and markets the work of member artists, and provides opportunities for community service in promotion of excellence in the arts. There is a cafe on premises.
- Hildene The Lincoln Family Home, 1005 Hildene Rd (off Route 7a), ☏ . An historic home, gardens, trails, woods and farm set on 412 preserved acres of quintessential Vermont landscape.
- American Fly Fishing Museum, 4104 Main Street, Route 7a (next to Orvis Flagship Store), ☏ . Established in 1968 in Manchester, Vermont, by a group of interested anglers, the American Museum of Fly Fishing was created to preserve and exhibit the treasures of American angling.
- Manchester Antique & Classic Car Show, Dorr Farm on Route 30, ☏ . Over 500 cars show up each year. The event takes place in June.
- Manchester Fall Art & Craft Festival, Riley Rink, ☏ . 200 juried artisans exhibit and sell a wide range of contemporary and traditional craft work as well as original art, photography, sculpture, and specialty food products
- Dorset Playhouse, Dorset, ☏ . Summer. Opened in 1929. Series of plays in an antique-style barn.
- 1 Bromley Mountain, Route 11, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. The only southern-facing ski area in Vermont. Summer fun zone featuring an alpine slide and zip line ride and miniature golf.
- 2 Appalachian Trail. A United States National Scenic Trail that runs over 2,100 miles (3380 km) through 14 states in the eastern United States, following the Appalachian Mountain Range. In Vermont it is called The Long Trail, and is the oldest long-distance trail in the United States. The Long Trail follows the main ridge of the Green Mountains from the Massachusetts-Vermont line to the Canadian border as it crosses Vermont's highest peaks.
- 3 Museum of the Creative Process, River Rd, Wilburton Dr, ☏ . Discover the Museum of the Creative Process' extensive collection of contemporary and international art. The Museum is dedicated to research into the science of creativity and hosts regular workshops and retreats.
- [formerly dead link] Equinox Snow Tours, Route 11/30, ☏ . Snowmobile tours in the Green Mountains.
- Mount Equinox Skyline Drive, Route 7a, ☏ . Spectacular 5½-mile drive to the summit.
- Hunter Park at Riley Rink, Hunte Park Rd, ☏ . Southern Vermont's largest indoor facility, is in the foothills of Vermont's Green Mountains. Riley Rink is a 35,000 ft² (3,300 m2) multi-purpose facility. During winter months the facility features an Olympic size indoor skating rink. In spring, summer and fall, Riley Rink is converted to accommodate indoor sports, trade shows, concerts and a variety of other uses by locals and visitors.
- Maple Leaf Half Marathon, Manchester Center. Every September. The premier half-marathon in beautiful southwestern Vermont provides outstanding race organization, enthusiastic volunteers, and a fun and challenging romp through the gorgeous New England countryside.
- Vermont Summer Festival Horse Show, Harold Beebe Farm in Dorset, Vermont. Six weeks of top equestrian competition in the Green Mountains.
- Koman Race For The Cure, Hildene Meadows in Manchester, ☏ . Every July. 5-km runs/fitness walks in the world, raises significant funds and awareness for the fight against breast
- Pumpkin Carving Festival, Equinox Valley Nursery, ☏ . Activities include kids games, a craft market, food vendors, fresh cider donuts, wagon rides, costume parade, scavenger hunt, pumpkin cake walk, the Equinox Nursery's famous corn maze, a special harvest basket raffle and of course Pumpkin Carving Contest.
- Manchester Designer Outlets. Kate Spade, Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, Betsy Johnson, Brooks Brothers, Ben & Jerry's, Clark's Bostonian, Five Season's, Coach, Crabtree & Evelyn, Escada, Lily Pulitzer, Giorgio Armani, Gymboree, Hickey Freeman & Bobby Jones, Not Your Daughter's Jeans, Vineyard Vine, Betsy Johnson, J. Crew, Johnston & Murphy, Jones of NY, Kenneth Cole, Michael Kors, Overland, Polo / Ralph Lauren, Cosmetics Company, Theory, Traditions, TSE Cashmere, Tumi, Vermont Bird Place, Yankee Candle and Yves Delorme,
- Comollo Antiques & Fine Wines, 4686 Main St, ☏ . Brimming with American & European treasures.
- Brewster Antiques, 152 Bonnet St, ☏ . Antique/estate jewelry of classic and formal design, 1850s to 1960s.
- J.K. Adams, Route 30, toll-free: . Fine Vermont woodworkers.
- Manchester Hot Glass, 79 Elm St, ☏ . Local artist creating interesting pieces
- Orvis Flagship Store, 4189 Route 7a, ☏ . Great clothing, hunting supplies and gifts.
- Manchester Consignment Shop, Route 7a (In the same building as Up For Breakfast), ☏ . Stop into Manchester's one-of-a-kind consignment boutique.
- Designer Outlet Center, Highridge and Battenkill Shopping Center. Nine West, Gap, Coldwater Creek, Jockey, and Maidenform.
- Judy McCormick Jewelry, 1933 West Rd, ☏ . Manchester jewelry artist, creates exquisite pieces from her direct imports of gemstones and gorgeous monster pearls.
- The Reel Angler, 302 Depot St, ☏ . Fishing gear.
- Mountain Goat, 4886 Main St, ☏ . Locally owned outdoor clothing and gear outfitter.
- Wines By George, 345 Center Hill Rd, ☏ . Southwestern Vermont's only specialty retail wine shop.
- Nature's Market, 303 Center Hill Road Manchester Center, ☏ . Knowledgeable staff, with very large food, cleaning and vitamin selection.
- New Mornings Natural Food, 296 Depot St, ☏ . Full service health food store.
- Northshire Bookstore, 4869 Main St, ☏ . A family-owned, independent bookstore committed to the future of the book.
- The Magic Sleigh, 4960 Main St, ☏ . Christmas International presents a wonderful array of traditional, European, and American Christmas collectibles, folk art, carvings, ornaments, pewters, nativities, and Santas of all types
- Flying Cow Signs, 5073 Main St, ☏ . Crafting imaginative, hand-carved signs in solid wood for homes and businesses. Using century old techniques and time proven methods, they carve each sign in the fine tradition of the New England craftsman.
- Long Ago & Far Away, 4963 Main St, ☏ . Native American art & jewelry; Native Alaskan & Canadian Inuit sculpture & art.
- Epoch-18 Vermont Artisans, 4927 Main St, ☏ . A cooperative art and craft gallery featuring 18 Vermont artists and artisans working in a variety of disciplines including furniture, jewelry, pottery, glass, photography, sculpture, baskets and wearables
- Tilting at Windmills Gallery, 24 Highland Ave, ☏ . A broad selection of work by important regional, national, and international artists.
- [dead link] Gander Gallery, 4716B Main St, ☏ . Dedicated to showcasing the work of established and emerging artists of the region.
- H. N. Williams Store, 2732 RT 30, Dorset, ☏ . Founded in 1840 as a Harness Shop, this is a country store that carries just about everything. Deli is open 7 days a week.
- [dead link] The Cheese House, 5187 Vermont Route 7A, Arlington (Just 5 miles south of Manchester), ☏ . Specializing in Vermont cheeses.
- Mother Myrick's Confectionary, 4367 Main St (Across from the Orvis Outlet), ☏ . Confectionery, established in 1977, famous tantalizing buttercrunch, intense truffles, & amazing desserts.
- Dutton Farm Stand, 2083 Depot St, ☏ . The farm stand that's open year round. Vermont-grown produce apples, sweet cider, baked goods, hand made wreaths, Christmas trees. Sugar house open during season.
- Bob's Maple Shop, 591 Richville Rd, ☏ . 100% pure, organic maple syrup form Manchester, Vermont. Third generation sugarmaker produces true taste of Vermont syrup. Maple syrup, candy, and maple cream.
- Heinel's Clothiers, 4964 Main St., ☏ . Featuring Woolrich, Sorel boots, Johnson's Woolens, Duofold, Hanes, Lee Jeans, Acorn slippers, Wigwam.
- Ye Olde Tavern, 5183 Main Street, Route 7a, ☏ . Open daily from 5PM with last seating at 9PM. A circa 1790 Colonial Inn, which whisks one away to bygone era. Serving regional and continental fare, with an excellent wine list. Ye Olde Tavern has been recognized by the State of Vermont as a 'Green Restaurant'. Reservations are suggested. $16-32.
- Wilburton Inn and Restaurant, River Rd, ☏ . Festive and elegant dining in historic billiard room or on the marble veranda overlooking the most amazing views in the region. Featuring local and organic produce grown on their partner farm. Available for special events.
- Perfect Wife Restaurant & Tavern, 2594 Depot Avenue, Route 11/30, ☏ . Live music and pub fare in the tavern and creative fare in the main dining room.
- Sushi Boat, Route 7a (Near Rite Aid Pharmacy), ☏ . The best sushi in the area, BYOB.
- Up For Breakfast, 4935 Main St, ☏ . Very creative and fun atmosphere. Only open in the morning.
- The Works Bakery and Cafe, Route 11/30, ☏ . Everything is prepared to order using natural ingredients.
- Gringo Jack's Southwestern Grill, ☏ . Very cute place, with diverse southwestern menu. Serving lunch and dinner. Open daily.
- Garlic Johns, Route 11/30, ☏ . Affordable Italian cuisine
- Little Rooster Cafe, Route 7a, ☏ . Cute European-style cafe serving breakfast and lunch.
- Chantecleer Restaurant, Route 7a, ☏ . Premiere French fare in southern Vermont. Setting is a cute converted barn.
- Panda Garden, Highridge Shopping Center, ☏ . Chinese and Japanese cuisine. Open daily.
- Mrs. Murphy's Donuts, 374 Route 11/30, ☏ . Great donuts and breakfast sandwiches. Eat at the counter and get to know the locals.
- Manchester Bar and Grill, 1844 Route 11/30, ☏ . Open daily for lunch and dinner
- Zoey's Double Hex Restaurant, Route 11/30, ☏ . Good burgers, open for lunch and dinner.
- Mistral's at Tollgate, 10 Tollgate Rd, ☏ . French restaurant sitting next to a beautiful flowing stream.
- Gourmet Deli & Cafe, 4961 Main St, ☏ . Serves breakfast and lunch daily.
- Thai Basil Restaurant, 4940 Main Street, ☏ . Thai cuisine.
- Spiral Press Cafe, 15 Bonnet St (Adjacent to the Northshire Bookstore), ☏ . Great place relax and read a book. Tasty pastries and coffee.
- Inn at Manchester, Route 7a, ☏ , toll-free: , ✉ email@example.com. Located on four park-like acres since the 1940s.
- Equinox Resort and Spa, Route 7a, ☏ . High-end resort offering archery lessons, falconery, Range Rover driving, as well as world class golf course and spa.
- Wilburton Inn and Restaurant, River Rd, ☏ . Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 11AM. Country luxury historic mansion and estate. Main mansion and six cottages set on sprawling grounds, terraced gardens, organic farm. $170-300.
- Inn at Ormsby Hill, 1842 Route 7a, ☏ . Beautifully decorated rooms, with a great breakfast.
- Reluctant Panther Inn & Restaurant, 1739 West Rd, ☏ . European style inn. Pretty rooms and refined dining.
- Palmer House Resort Motel, 5382 Main Street, Route 7a, ☏ . Very clean rooms.
- Manchester View Motel, 77 High Meadow Way, ☏ . Nice property with great views of the mountains.
- Aspen Motel, 5669 Route 7a, ☏ . Nice clean rooms with a pool on the property.
- Weathervane Motel, Route 7a, ☏ . Resort type motel close to Hildene
- Olympia Motor Lodge, 7259 Main St, ☏ . After a day outdoors, enjoy relaxing by the roaring fire in our lobby or sit by the pool.
- Ira Allen Inn House, 6311 Route 7a, Sunderfland, toll-free: . One of the oldest inns in Vermont and a state historic site.
- Seth Warner Inn, 2352 Route 7a, ☏ . Guest rooms feature exposed beams, hand-stenciled wall trim and queen-size canopy beds with country quilts. Each room has its own distinctive antiques, artwork and a full private bath.
- Brittany Motel, Route 7a, ☏ . Straightforward lodging with continental breakfast.
- Northshire Lodge, 97 Route 7a, Main St, ☏ . Free in-room Wi-Fi. Uniquely built rooms with beautiful mountain views through 8-ft-wide sliding glass doors.
- Hill Farm Inn A Vermont B&B, 458 Hill Farm Rd, toll-free: . A variety of guest rooms have been created around the heart of a 200-year-old dairy farm. The farm's fields and pastures at the foot of Mt. Equinox provide acres of scenic open space for a picture perfect setting
- Casablanca Motel, 5927 Main Street, Route 7a, ☏ . Individually themed cozy cottages.
- Sutton Place, 50 School St, ☏ . A quaint 1800s guest house.
- Weston 25 minutes from Manchester is charming with its Old Parish Church and Church on the Hill, the village green, the historic museums, stately houses, the famous Vermont Country, renowned Weston Playhouse and Benedictine Priory are among the many reasons to discover Weston. The entire Village is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Grafton about 40 minutes from Manchester, one of the prettiest villages in Vermont. Many of its beautiful old buildings have been lovingly restored by its residents and the Windham Foundation, so what you see today looks much like it did years ago.
- Saratoga Springs is about 45 minutes away, just south of the Adirondacks in upstate New York. Long a vacation destination for New Yorkers, Saratoga Springs is a pleasant town filled with swanky shops, spas and the famous Saratoga Race Track. A key battle in the Revolution War happened nearby. Saratoga Springs is home to Skidmore College
- Emerald Lake State Park Located between Manchester and Rutland, the park is popular for its wooded hillside campground, beach and swimming area.
- Covered Bridges There are just over 100 authentic covered bridges within state. The closest are in West Arlington, Sunderland, Rutland and Bennington.
|Routes through Manchester|
|Burlington ← Rutland ←||N S||→ Jct W → Bennington → Pittsfield|
|END ←||N S||→ Arlington → Bennington|
|END ←||W E||→ Jct N S → Springfield|
|END ← Middlebury ← Jct W ← Jct E ← Jct W E ←||N S||→ Jamaica → Brattleboro|