Altoona is a city with a population of nearly 7,900 (2019) people, in Eau Claire County in Wisconsin. Altoona is well known for its focus on outdoor recreation. It attracts fishers on the lake and bikers on its trails to enjoy the fresh air.
From Interstate 94, take exit 70, Altoona has 2 exits off of US Hwy 53. Just east of the City of Eau Claire.
- Chippewa Valley Regional Airport, Starr Avenue, Eau Claire (US Hwy 53 to Melby St. exit). Delta Connection (Mesaba Airlines) from Minneapolis St. Paul and charter service. Rental cars available.
- Eau Claire Transit. The City of Eau Claire bus has hourly service to Altoona. Adult fare is $1.50.
- Ski Sprites Water Ski Team, Lake Altoona County Park (River Prairie Drive to 10 St. W. to Lake Road). Free water ski shows on Lake Altoona, Memorial Day through Labor Day. Donations accepted. Daily county park fee required.
- 1 Hobbs Observatory (at Beaver Creek Reserve), Cty. Hwy. K (take Hwy SS (9 Mile Creek Road) east out of Altoona, turn left on Hwy K, the observatory will be on your left), ☏ . Hours of darkness.
- Cinder City Days, Cinder City Park. Altoona's annual city festival, organized by the Lion's Club. Carnival, parade, softball tournament, live music, beer garden, Doll & Pet Parade.
- Fourth of July Fireworks, Cinder City Park, Spooner Ave.. An annual event, on the 4th. Fireworks provided by the Altoona Lion's Club. Fireworks presentation done by the Altoona Fire Department.
- Beaver Creek Reserve, Cty Hwy K (Hwy SS east of town to north on Hwy K), ✉ email@example.com. Nature center, butterfly house, trails (hike, snowshoe, cross-country ski), various programs through the year to promote nature and science. Donation.
- Dick's Divots Golf Driving Range, Mayer Rd (east of Altoona, take Hwy 12 to right on Mayer Rd, Dick's is on the left after the mini storage). Open until sundown. Drive from mats or the grass. Beer and soda available. Four bucket sizes to choose from. Large bucket $5.
- [formerly dead link] Bike Trails (trails throughout the city). A bike trail along Lake Road connects the 10th Street trail to the Lake Altoona County Park. River Prairie trail connects to trails in Eau Claire and provide access to the Chippewa River State Trail. Free.
- [dead link] Lake Altoona County Park (River Prairie Drive to 10th St. West to Lake Road). Boat landing, swimming beach, boating, water ski shows, playground, shelter, nature trail, horseshoe pits. Daily/annual park pass required
- Eau Claire Off Leash Dog Park Recreation Area, 4503 House Rd (Gateway Drive (past Sam's Club) to House road). Open year-round until dusk. Several acre fenced area for dogs to run and frolic off-leash. Users must pick up after dogs. Plastic bags available. Fresh water available. Non-residents of City of Eau Claire $25 annual fee.
Altoona is mostly a residential community, with a few places to shop. This will change with the development of the new River Prairie area in the next couple of years.
- Altoona Family Restaurant, 2000 N Hillcrest Pkwy (just north of Hwy 12), ☏ . American/family. Open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- Fischer's on the Green, 2333 Hillcrest Pkwy (Hwy 12 at 10th St W), ☏ . Elegant dining. Legendary steaks. Located at the Hillcrest Country Club, restaurant and lounge are open to the public. Live music in the lounge several nights a week. Reservations accepted.
- Draganetti's Ristorante, Hillcrest Pkwy at Otter Rd (Hwy 12 and Hwy 53 interchange), ☏ . Open daily at 4PM, closed Mondays during the summer. Italian restaurant. Patio dining available. Entrees $12-19.
- Subway (at Mega Express), Hillcrest Pkwy at 3rd St E.
- Happy Hallow Tavern, 1628 N Hillcrest Pkwy, ☏ . Large bar, food available, several TVs, DJ on some nights.
- Golden Spike Bar & Grill, 228 Division St (across from the Post Office), ☏ . Renovated with a strikingly appealing exterior.
- 400 Club, 1411 Spooner Ave, ☏ .
- Rolly's Coach Club, 2239 Spooner Ave (Across from Hobbs Arena), ☏ .
- Whiskey Dicks, Harlem St. (Near the TV tower). Two outdoor sand volleyball courts, outdoor tiki bar. Live music.
- Otter Creek Inn, 2536 Hwy 12 (from US Hwy 53, take Hwy 12 exit, go east, Inn is immediately on north side of Hwy 12), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 4PM, check-out: 11AM. Bed & Breakfast
- Altoona Post Office (Lynn Avenue). Zip Code is 54720; Counter services, post office boxes.
- Wi-Fi spot, Coffee Traders International (Clear Wire Spot), South Hastings Way (one block from Altoona, in the East Ridge Center). Coffee house, sandwiches and pastries. Live music some Friday evenings. Free wi-fi access.
- Eau Claire, borders the city on the west side.
- Chippewa Falls, is about 10 miles to the north.
- Menomonie, is about 24 miles to the west.
- Augusta, is 20 miles southeast on Hwy 12. Be sure to take an Amish tour, tour the Dells Mill Museum, and visit the quaint historic downtown.
- The Twin Cities of Minneapolis and Saint Paul in Minnesota are about 85 miles to the west.
|Routes through Altoona|
|Saint Paul ← Eau Claire ←||W E||→ Augusta → Wisconsin Dells|
|Duluth ← Chippewa Falls ←||N S||→ Eau Claire → La Crosse|