Before European settlement, the area was the site of a seasonal Mi'kmaq settlement. The modern town was founded in 1784 and named Dorchester, but by the 1820s was commonly called Antigonish.
In the 1920s, the "Antigonish Movement" began at St. Francis Xavier University in Antigonish, improving the economic and social conditions across Canada’s Maritimes. This eventually lead to the current credit union systems of Maritime Canada.
Nowadays, Antigonish is primarily a service hub for the surrounding region, with the largest employers being St. Martha's Regional Hospital and St. Francis Xavier University. The town is the episcopal seat of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Antigonish, and thus is one of the smallest towns in Canada to have a cathedral.
Maritime Bus runs 2-3 times a day from:
- Truro (1hr45min, adult $25.50, senior or student $22)
- Halifax (3hr20min, adult $42, senior or student $36)
- Sydney (3hr15min, adult $46, senior or student $39).
The town has some distinctive architecture, particularly the campus of St. Francis Xavier University.
- Antigonish Highland Games, 91 Main St (Columbus Field), ☎ . In a week-long celebration of its Scottish heritage, the town hosts its annual Highland Games every July. There are competitive events, concerts and other activities.
- 1 St Ninian's Cathedral, 121 Saint Ninian Street, ☎ . One of two Roman Catholic churches located on the grounds of St. Francis Xavier University, St Ninian's Cathedral is the Episcopal Seat for the Diocese of Antigonish and the largest church in the town.
Go to the mall and buy a shirt. On the west side of town, there are the usual big box stores.
- Main Street Café, 158 Main Street (in the Martine Inn). Daily 7AM-9PM (Su from 8AM). A focus on fresh seafood. Excellent seafood Primavera. Mains $15-25.
There's the liquor store rate by the mall and there's the pub right by the school.
- Maritime Inn Antigonish, 158 Main Street, toll-free: . On the main street Double $160.
- Homeward Inn, 41 James St, toll-free: . A little out of the centre, close to the university Double $90.
Probably go to Guysborough.
|Routes through Antigonish|
|Truro ← New Glasgow ←||W E||→ Canso Causeway (becomes ) → Baddeck → North Sydney|
|Truro ← New Glasgow ←||W E||→ Jct E → Sydney|