Atalaya is in the Peruvian Amazon.
Atalaya is a town in the Ucayali Region of Peru. Atalaya is 220 meters above sea level with temperatures ranging from 18°C to 37°C. The rainy season is between December and March. It is the capital of the Atalaya Province and the Raymondi District. Its sometimes referred to as Villa Atalaya or Puerto Atalaya. It is also known as La Esmeralda del Ucayali (The Emerald of Ucayali). Atalaya is on Rio Tambo about 1 km before the confluence of Rio Tambo and Rio Urubamba which form Rio Ucayali.
- [dead link] Transporte Aereo Comercial Representaciones S.A.C, Calle Padre Urraca Maranga Of.04 No. 371 - San Miguel, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Flights from Lima to Atalaya leave on Saturday at 9AM. Flights from Pucallpa to Atalaya leave on Sunday at 9AM. S/350.
From Pucallpa the trip takes 3 to 6 days depending on conditions.
The slow boat (lancha) to Pucallpa leaves Monday mornings around 8AM, S/90 (Nov 2013).
Bus or taxi from Satipo.
- Aguas Termales Unini. Small hot spring 60°C, sulphurous water. The area is surrounded by lush vegetation.
- Cascada de Corintoni.
- Colpa de Inuya. Clay containing high concentration of salts, which attracts large numbers of macaws.
- Quebrada Canuja. Cold water springs.
- Quebrada de Sapani. Gorge, several pools surrounded by lush vegetation and waterfalls. Also a native Ashaninka community.
An interesting activity is to navigate the river. This city is located at the confluence of two rivers. One coming from the highlands and is cold and brown, and the other is from the jungle and is green and warm. The waters don't mix and for miles you can see one river with two colors and temperatures.
- Chocolate & Pimienta, Jiron Purus Cuadra 7 Atalaya Peru, ☏ . Clean, nicely appointed yet inexpensive high-quality meals. Menu changes to market availability. Prix fixe full-lunch with beverage S/. 9. Easily the best restaurant in Atalaya.
- Hostal Peruanita (formerly Hostal Denis), Jiron Raimondi #144 (just off the Malecon facing Plaza 29de Mayo), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. This place is quiet day and night. The rooms 100 - 107 open onto a large garden adding green space (and fewer guests) to the mix. Water and juices available at market prices. Run by a friendly family. S/. 20 single. S/. 25 couple.
- Ivochote - Upstream (Rio Urubamba). Downstream from Kiteni, on Rio Urubamba. 7 to 9 hours by road to Quillabamba.
- Kiteni - Upstream (Rio Urubamba). Several days upstream, further than Sepahua. Travelling this section of Rio Urubamba in not advised during the wet season due to rapids, particularly the Pongo de Mainique considered the most dangerous whitewater pass on Rio Urubamba. Once you reach Kiteni you can travel by road onto Quillabamba and Machu Picchu.
- La Merced - Road.
- Pichanaki - Road.
- Pucallpa - Downstream (Rio Ucayali), 2 to 5 days depending on conditions.
- Puerto Ocopa - By road or by boat, upstream (Rio Tambo), less than 1 day.
- Satipo - Road.
- Sepahua - Upstream (Rio Urubamba), less than 1 day.