Surrounded on three sides by the Absaroka-Beartooths and the Crazy Mountains, the area hosts the gateway to the Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness Areas and contains amazing scenery. The Yellowstone River, Boulder River, and the many smaller streams in our area are famous for fly fishing. Movies such as 'A River Runs Through It' and 'The Horse Whisperer' were filmed in the area. Big Timber is the county seat of Sweet Grass County where it is located.
- Yellowstone District forest service office, 225 Big Timber Loop Rd. Big Timber, +1 406 932-5155
Once you're in Big Timber, most things are reachable by foot but there is no shortage of parking either so it's fairly easy to get around.
- Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness Area. covering 920,310 acres, is an administrated unit of the Gallatin National Forest, Custer National Forest and the Shoshone National Forest and is named for its jagged peaks resembling bear's teeth and for the Native Americans that lived in the area.
- 1 Crazy Mountain Museum, 2 South Frontage Rd, ☏ . The Crazy Mountain Museum is a historical museum featuring exhibits that reflect the history of Sweet Grass County and the surrounding area.
The nearby Boulder River is world famous area for fly fishing, outfitters can be found in town. Ask at local fly shops and check river conditions online. June is high water month due to snow melting at higher elevations which can make rivers treacherous, the water muddy and difficult to fish.
- Montana Taxidermy, 519 W 1 Ave, ☏ . after spending your whole vacation catching only one fish, at least you can bring it here to get it stuffed and keep it forever.
- The Coffee Stop, 415 West 1st Ave, ☏ . when you want a little something more than basic coffee then this is the place.
- Timber Bar, 116 McLeod, ☏ . every town in Montana needs an old-school bar full of cowboys and locals, this is the one for Big Timber.
- The Grand Hotel & Restaurant, PO Box 1242, ☏ . THE place in town for fancy dinner and wonderful place to stay.
- Big Timber Montana Koa Kampground, 693 Highway 10 E, ☏ . the area's KOA.
Local FM radio stations
- KMXE 99.3 FM; RED LODGE, MT
- K240CO 95.9 FM; LIVINGSTON, MT
- KXLB 100.7 FM; LIVINGSTON, MT
- K213AU 90.5 FM; BIG TIMBER
Livingston is a 37-minute drive to the west via I-90
|Routes through Big Timber|
|Bozeman ← Livingston ←||W E||→ Laurel → Billings|
|Bozeman ← Livingston ←||S N||→ Harlowton → Lewistown|