Livingston retains much of its Old West history. 436 buildings are on the National Historic Register.
The railroad was the main economic power for over a century. It is the reason the towns of Wilsall and Clyde Park to the north were created.
Livingston is at the junction of Interstate 90 and US 89 along the banks of the mighty Yellowstone River and at the northern edge of Gallatin National Forest and 54 miles north of Yellowstone National Park.
The wind rider provides limited public transportation. Ride shares are also present in limited numbers. Biking is an option in good weather. Otherwise all travel needs to be by car or on horse back.
- 1 Livingston Depot Center, 200 W Park St, ☏ . Railroad history and art museum in a historic railroad station built in Italiante style in 1902.
- Roundup Rodeo, Park County Fairgrounds, ☏ . July 2,3,4. Part of the "Gateway Rodeos", the others are held the same time in Cody, Wyoming and Red Lodge, Montana.
- Yellowstone Gateway Museum, 118 W. Chinook St., ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Park County and Yellowstone National Park history
- 1 Chico Hot Springs, 163 Chico Road, Pray (Drive south on US Hwy 89 about 22 miles), ☏ . 7AM-11PM. Natural hot springs. 2 pools average 96F and 103F. Dining and lodging available. $7.50 adult.
- Treasure Lanes, 1122 West Front St., ☏ . Bowling, pool tables
World famous area for fly fishing, outfitters can be found in most cities and many towns and rural areas. Ask at local fly shops and check river conditions online. June is high water month due to snow melting at higher elevations so can make rivers treacherous and water muddy and difficult to fish.
- Dan Bailey Fly Shop, 209 W Park St, ☏ . established in 1938 they offer a complete line of fly fishing tackle, fly-tying tools and accessories and they even have a used Rods and closeouts section..
There are a huge number of day and over night hikes in the area. Check with local forest service offices for details and trail conditions before heading out and maybe more importantly remember to report back to them if you see something noteworthy. A fresh elk kill on the trail could mean that a bear is nearby for example. Know the 10 basics needed for all back country camping and that cell phones are not one of them, cell phones often don't work in rural mountainous areas. Topo maps are also available in local camping and fishing stores.
Regional forest service offices
- Yellowstone District 5242 Hwy 89 South Livingston, MT 59047 (406) 222-2520
- Juhnke's Montana Junk, 227 So. Main, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Antiques
- Montana Gift Cabin, 1 Pronghorn Dr (Just off Exit 333 from Interstate 90), ☏ . Montana gifts
- Rainbow Ark, 111 W. Callender, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Gifts
- Yellowstone River Trading Company, 110 Centennial Dr. Suites 4 & 5, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Candy, Clothing
- 1 Windy Way Rockshop, 5237 US-89 #13, ☏ . 9:30-8:30. sells rare rocks, crystals, and minerals.
- Northern Pacific Beanery, 108 W. Park St, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 7AM-2PM. Cafe with home-style cooking
- Pinky's Cafe, 109 1/2 S. Main St, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 7AM-2PM. Upscale cafe
- Rick's on Main, 116 S. Main St., ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Fine dining
- Yellowstone Valley Grill, 3840 Hwy 89 South, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Hours change seasonally, check website for correct times. Gourmet dining near the river
- Livingston Bar & Grille, 130 N. Main St, ☏ .
- Neptune's Brewery, 119 North L St., ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Micro Brewery since 1996, 10 brews on tap
- Whiskey Creek Saloon, 110 N. Main St., ☏ , ✉ WhiskeyCreek@bresnan.net.
- The Murray Hotel, 201 W. Park, ☏ .
- Yellowstone Valley Lodge, 3840 Highway 89 South Livingston, MT, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 12PM. A small, off-the-beaten-path collection of contemporary cabins and one gourmet restaurant, tucked along the banks of the Yellowstone River on a ranch style property in the Paradise Valley of Montana.
- [dead link] Absaroka Guest House, toll-free: . A histroical building converted into a cosy guesthouse. Rooms are clean and big enough. From $90/night.
|Routes through Livingston|
|Butte ← Bozeman ←||W E||→ Big Timber → Billings|
|Great Falls ← White Sulphur Springs ←||N S||→ Gardiner → Yellowstone N.P.|
|Yellowstone N.P. ← Bozeman ←||S N||→ Big Timber → Lewistown|