Bixby is Tulsa County's agricultural breadbasket. Much of the area's local produce (the most famous being Bixby corn) is grown here. Other crops include beans, greens, pumpkins, squash, and tomatoes. There are also farms that grow specialty crops such as fruit, berries and button mushrooms. Since the mid-1990s (when flood-control was first implemented), Bixby has developed into a nice bedroom community of 35,000 people.
There are two options in Bixby right now, going by foot or by car. Walking works best in the older downtown areas whereas cars are the route to go most everywhere else. Mass transit isn't readily available yet, but Tulsa Transit is beginning to branch out to Bixby due to the construction of the SpiritBank Event Center.
- Wasington Irving Memorial Park. Washington Irving (author of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow among other books) visited this area when he traveled America. This park is dedicated to him and at the entrance to the park is one of many steel girders that once belonged to New York's World Trade Center Twin Towers, disturbing reminder of that event of 2001.
- SpiritBank Event Center. Finished in 2007, this facility is Bixby's main meeting place hosting everything from conventions to concerts to town hall meetings. (The Stone Temple Pilots played here in 2008 and woke half the town up at midnight.)
- Conrad Farms Produce. Oklahoma's largest open-air produce market.
- Scott's Hamburgers. This well-known burger eatery is the place to go if you're craving good burgers. It's in the middle of downtown Bixby.
- East China Buffet, 13202 S. Memorial Dr. What may be the best Chinese food in Tulsa County.
Much of Bixby is low-lying. As a result, flooding does occur here on some occasions when the rains are heavy. (This, among other reasons, is why the Keystone Dam was built upstream on the Arkansas River.) Flood-control is being implemented in many parts of Bixby to solve this problem.
Traffic is an issue in some parts (specifically Memorial Drive and around SpiritBank Event Center), Tulsa Transit plans to expand into Bixby more in the coming years.
Oklahoma weather is very harsh on road conditions and road repairs are needed on an almost yearly basis here. Please be prepared to slow down or stop for road workers as fines double for accidents in work zones as specified by Oklahoma state law.
- The Allen Ranch is in the town of Liberty, 3 miles outside of Bixby.
- Haskell is home to nearby Stone Bluff and its acclaimed winery.
- Okmulgee is the tribal headquarters of the Muscogee Creek Nation and the original Creek Nation Council House still stands in city center.
|Routes through Bixby|
|Enid ← Tulsa ←||W E||→ Haskell → Fort Smith|
|Jct Alt ← Jct N S ←||W E||→ END|