Castlegar is in British Columbia, Canada. Located on the southern tip of the Arrow Lakes chain, at the confluence of the Kootenay and Columbia Rivers, Castlegar is a perfect base for a whole range of outdoor activities. The surrounding lakes and mountains offer unlimited outdoor possibilities. Tremendous fishing on both big rivers as well as the Arrow Lakes, combined with the convenience of Syringa Creek Provincial Park adds up to everything you need to fully enjoy Castlegar.
Castlegar is located approximately 600 km from both Calgary and Vancouver on hwy 3.
- Air Canada, . Offering daily flights from Vancouver and Calgary to Castlegar Regional Airport.
- Greyhound, . Offering twice daily bus service east and west to major towns and cities throughout their network.
By rental car
Budget and National have offices at Castlegar Airport and Downtown locations.
By public transit
There is a limited bus service through the Castlegar area. Contact BC Transit for schedule.
an up-and-coming climbing area with the potential to grow, great rock around try the "waterline" and some other local spots,
Some unreal trails kinda secret spots that will blow your mind locals friendly and helpful. The Seven Summits mountain bike train is one of the more well known.
- 18 hole championship course at Castlegar Golf Club (non-members welcome)
- 9 hole par three at Little Bear Golf Course
Syringa Creek Provincial Park
Located on the Arrow Lake, about 20 km west of Castlegar via Robson. large sandy beach, good swimming, large campsite, hiking trails, boatlaunch, sani-dump. Campsite often full during peak season so book ahead if possible.
Great boating and fishing on the Arrow Lake, west of Castlegar.
- Scotties Marina - moorage, fuel, food, burger bar, bait, free boat launch
- Syringa Park Marina—moorage, fuel, food, boat launch
Floating the Slocan
Popular summer activity is a 2-3 hour float down the Slocan River from Slocan Park to Crescent Valley. Tubes available for purchase at Canadian Tire or for rent at Wildways in Crescent Valley.
Numerous day and multi-day hikes in area.
- Castlegar Sunfest—first weekend in June
- Shamabhala Music Festival—western Canada's largest party. 5 days and 4 nights in mid-August
- Kaslo Jazz Festival—floating stage, August long weekend
- Red Resort. Located approximately 30 mintues drive in Rossland, one of Canada's best and most famous ski resorts. 5 lifts, 2900 vertical feet, 83 marked runs and deep Kootenay power snow, large adjacent cross-country area.
- Whitewater Winter Resort. Located approximately 50 minutes from Castlegar, cross-country and downhill ski area, famous for deep powder snow. 3 lifts, 1300 vertical feet.
Cat and heli-skiing
- Valhalla Powder Cats. Based in Crescent Valley, cat-skiing in deep untracked powder, single day and packages available.
- Baldface Lodge. Cat-skiing from helicopter accessed alpine chalet.
- Wildhorse Catskiing. Based in Ymir, deep powder cat skiing, with day trips and packages.
- Snowwater Lodge. Alpine lodge with cat-skiing and heli skiing in the Selkirk Mountains close to Castlegar.
Hundreds of kilometers of groomed and ungroomed trails located around Castlegar.
- Cuisine of India, 908 Columbia Ave, ☎ . Inexpensive, authentic Indian food served as spicy as you like. Lunch buffet and dinner.
- Greek Oven, 400 Columbia Avenue, ☎ . Popular Greek and Italian spot downtown, summer patio, closed Mondays.
- Chopsticks Chinese and Japanese. Sushi bar and table service, good sushi and relatively authentic Chinese cuisine.
- Gabriels Restaurant, 1432 Columbia Ave, ☎ . Upscale spot famous for its prime rib and other classics.
- Lions Head Smoke & brew pub, 2629 Broadwater Road, ☎ . 11:30AM-1AM. Lions Head Pub is under new ownership with a mouth watering menu of b-b-q smoked meat, pizza, seafood and 12 glorious taps of BC micro-brews
Pubs and bars
- Element Club Bar & Grill Open Mon-Sat from 11AM. Bar & Grill on 2nd floor with 10 large screens for sports, Karaoke Wednesdays, and Ground level nightclub open on weekends at 10PM. Voted best restaurant three years in a row by the Chamber of Commerce members. www.clubelement.ca
- Black Rooster Bar, Grill and Restaurant. Located in the Super 8 hotel. Outdoor patio, lounge atmosphere, numerous plasma TV's, good food and drink, moderately priced.
- Nealy O'briens Pub. Small Irish themed pub.
- Molly's. Located downtown in the Marlane hotel. The region's only show-lounge. Shows till 11PM daily.
- Thirsty Duck Pub. Located in south Castlegar toward Trail. Open daily for Lunch, Dinner and drinks.
- Lions Head Pub, ☎ . Located in Robson, North Castlegar turn left on broadwater road after the brilliant bridge at the north end of town. Smoked BBQ Meats, house made menu of mouth watering food and drink. Specializing in BC craft brewed beer you will not find better tap selection than here with their 12 glorious taps a beer lovers dream. Situated between the Historic Lions Head Rock and the Mighty Columbia River, this 2 floor Tudor style building is one of a kind in the kootneys, expect some live bands, great parties as well as a warm cozy feel daily free pool and foosball everyday.
- Element Night Club, Bar and Grill. Large newly opened night club located in downtown Castlegar boasts being one of the biggest in the province (over 600 person capacity). Top 40/Dance DJ's with the occasional international live act. Two floors, large dance floor, two bars, three pool tables, leather couches, and a well ventilated smoking room. Excellent food. Bar and Grill is open Monday to Saturday from 11AM. Club is open till 2AM Wednesday to Saturday.
Coffee shops and cafes
- Bagels and Brew, 1502 Columbia Avenue #9, ☎ . Bagels & Brew offers specialty coffee drinks, as well as fresh roasted coffee beans, and loose teas. Bagels are boiled and baked, and a variety of cream cheeses are available. Sandwiches, melts, soups and salads are also featured on the menu.
- Common Grounds.
- [dead link]Quality Inn, 1935 Columbia Avenue, ☎ .
- Days Inn, 651 18 Street, ☎ .
|Routes through Osoyoos|
|Hope ← Osoyoos ←||W E||→ Jct - Creston → Cranbrook|