- Louisville International Airport (SDF IATA)  [dead link]
- Nashville International Airport (BNA IATA) .
Cave City is a small community, so getting around should not be much of a problem.
- 1 Big Mike's Rock and Gift Shop, 566 Old Mammoth Cave Rd., ☏ . 9AM-5PM. A well-known tourist attraction near Mammoth Cave. Gifts, rocks, and fossils for sale and a Mystery House that will "baffle your mind".
- 2 [formerly dead link] Dinosaur World, 711 Mammoth Cave Rd., ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 8:30AM-4:30PM. Learn about dinosaurs such as T Rex, Stegosaurus and Triceratops as well as new dinosaurs discovered in recent decades.
- 3 Floyd Collins Museum, 1240 Old Mammoth Cave Rd. (at the Wayfarer Inn Bed & Breakfast), ☏ . This museum chronicles the life of Floyd Collins, an early cave explorer of the region. Collins became trapped and died in Sand Cave in January 1925. The rescue effort drew national attention and is credited with beginning the push for a national park. Floyd Collins' homestead, grave site, and Sand Cave are all located within Mammoth Cave National Park.
- 4 [formerly dead link] Mammoth Cave Wildlife Museum, 409 E. Happy Valley St, ☏ . Over 1600 species of wildlife from all over the world.
Cave City is aptly named — there are numerous caves within the area, including the world-famous Mammoth Cave.
- 5 Crystal Onyx Cave, 363 Prewitts Knob Rd, ☏ . Apr-Oct: 10AM-7PM; off-season: check the website or call. A one-hour guided tour leaving every 35 min or so takes you to see beautifully lit cave formations and a working archaeological site where ancient remains of native Americans have been dated at about 680 BC. No reservations needed. Not accessible for people with impaired mobility -- about 100 steps. Adults $15, children 4-12 $13.
- 6 Diamond Caverns, 1900 Mammoth Cave Parkway, Park City, ☏ . Guided hour-long tours of one of the most beautiful caves in south central Kentucky. Thousands of cave formations make it comparable to the Frozen Niagara tour at Mammoth Cave.
- 7 Hidden River Cave & American Cave Museum, 119 E Main St. Horse Cave, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. A restored cave system underneath Horse Cave and museum.
- 8 Mammoth Cave National Park, 1 Mammoth Cave Parkway, Mammoth Cave, ☏ . The longest cave system in the world with 350 miles (560 km) of known passageways. There are 53,000 acres of hardwood forest offering camping, canoeing, fishing and hiking.
- 9 Onyx Cave, 101 Huckleberry Knob Rd. (at Guntown Mountain amusement park), ☏ . See beautiful coral, onyx, stalagmites and stalactites on a 30-minute guided tour.
- 10 [dead link] Outlaw Cave, 3057 Mammoth Cave Rd. (at Kentucky Action Park), ☏ , toll-free: , ✉ email@example.com. A 30-minute guided tour filled with stalagmites and stalactites. It has been said that outlaws such as Jesse James hid out in area caves. The tour is rated as non-strenuous and is wheelchair accessible. Adults $6.95, children $4.95.
- 1 Cave Country Go Carts, 820 Sanders St, ☏ . Go carts and arcade.
- 2 Guntown Mountain, 101 Huckleberry Knob Rd.. Reopening 25 May 2019. Ride a chairlift or shuttle to the top for live entertainment, gunfights, saloon shows, magical medicine shows, country music shows, animal petting farm, cave tours and a haunted house. Adults $15, children 3-12 $10, pony rides $5.
- 3 Kentucky Action Park, 3057 Mammoth Cave Rd, ☏ , toll-free: .
- Mammoth Cave Adventures Zipline Tours, 1994 Roy Hunter Road (off Park Ridge Road off KY 255 northwest of Cave City), ☏ . Ziplining, horseback riding, super swing, and a drop tower.
- 4 Diamond Caverns RV Resort & Golf Club, 1878 Mammoth Cave Parkway Park City, ☏ .
- 5 Shady Hollow Golf Course, 985 Ramsey Rd. Cub Run, ☏ .
- 6 Mammoth Cave Canoe & Kayak, 1240 Old Mammoth Cave Rd (at the Wayfarer Inn Bed & Breakfast), ☏ . A variety of trips on the Green River are offered.
- 7 Green River Canoeing, 3057 Mammoth Cave Rd. (at Kentucky Action Park), ☏ .
- 8 Ridgetop Pay Lake, 4083 Mammoth Cave Rd., ☏ . 6AM-midnight. Catfish stocked weekly. No license required.
- 31W Treasure Hunt Sale, in September, +1 270 670-3741
- Cave City Flea Market, 802 South Dixie Highway (next to Star Motel on US 31W). All hours weather permitting. An outdoor roadside market.
- Cave City Mini Mall, 801 Mammoth Cave Road, ☏ .
- 1 Caverna Florist, 103 Broadway St, ☏ . Flowers & gifts.
- 2 Coffey's Concrete, 414 E. Happy Valley St, ☏ . Concrete products, Boyd's Bears.
- Crazy Hound Flea Market, 808 Mammoth Cave Road, ☏ . Open Friday and Saturday.
- 3 Debbie's Rock & Gift Shop, 4290 Mammoth Cave Rd, ☏ . Souvenirs, gifts, rocks and minerals.
- 4 Four Seasons Antiques, Uniques & Collectables, 115 Broadway St, ☏ . Antiques, gifts, authorized Fenton dealer.
- Krafted in Kentucky, 418 Mammoth Cave Street (inside Cave City Welcome Center), ☏ . Featuring unique food products and handcrafted gifts
- 5 Mammoth Cave Knife Shop & Gifts, 811 Mammoth Cave Rd, ☏ . Major brand knives & souvenirs.
- 6 Nuttin Fancy Antique Shop, 306 Duke St, ☏ . Antiques & collectibles.
- 7 Tom's Tee Pee, 805 Mammoth Cave Rd, ☏ . T-shirts, moccasins, onyx, unusual gifts.
- 8 TW's Cabin, 812 Mammoth Cave Rd, ☏ . Gifts, souvenirs, crafts & collectibles.
Cave City is served by several fast food chains near KY 70's junctions with KY 90 and I-65. They include Long John Silver's (co-branded with A&W), KFC, Wendy's, and McDonald's. Subway and Sonic are inside the Shell Travel Plaza.
- C.J.'s Cafe, 816 Mammoth Cave Road, ☏ .
- Cracker Barrel, 800 Happy Valley Street (KY 90 east of KY 70/I-65 junction), ☏ .
- Dairy Queen, 517 North Dixie Highway, ☏ .
- 1 El Mazatlan, 105 Gardner Ln., ☏ . A great regional chain of restaurants specializing in Mexican cuisine.
- Godfather's Pizza/Minit Mart, 99 South Dixie Highway (US 31W at KY 70, downtown), ☏ .
- Pizza Hut, 804 Mammoth Cave Street, ☏ .
- 2 Sahara Steak House, 413 E. Happy Valley St., ☏ .
- The Watermill Restaurant, 804 Mammoth Cave Rd, ☏ .
In 2014 the city voted to go wet, and Barren County followed suit in 2016. Almost every restaurant now has alcohol sales and package liquor stores are available.
Most of these lodgings are located near I-65 at Exit 53 (KY 70, 90)
- 1 Best Western Kentucky Inn, 1009 Doyle Ave, ☏ .
- 2 Caveland Motel, 415 North Dixie Hwy, ☏ . 14 rooms, outdoor pool, pet friendly, continental breakfast. $30-50.
- 3 Comfort Inn & Suites, 819 Sanders St., ☏ .
- 4 Days Inn, 102 Gardner Ln., ☏ .
- 5 Econo Lodge, 807 Mammoth Cave St., ☏ .
- 6 Sleep Inn & Suites, 801 Mammoth Cave St., ☏ .
- 7 Super 8, 799 Mammoth Cave St, ☏ .
- Travel Inn, 1224 North Dixie Highway, ☏ .
- 8 Wigwam Village, 601 North Dixie Hwy (US 31W), ☏ . Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 11AM. 1937 motel with patented novelty architecture; each room is a concrete wigwam. Playground, picnic area, souvenir shop, A/C, cable TV, no pets, listed on Kentucky and National Historical Registers. $60-70.
Bed & Breakfasts
Campgrounds & cabin rentals
- 11 Cave Country RV Park, 216 Gaunce Dr., ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 12 Diamond Caverns RV Resort & Golf Club, 1878 Mammoth Cave Parkway, Park City, ☏ .
- 13 Horse Cave KOA, 489 Flint Ridge Rd. Horse Cave (roughly 5 miles north of Cave City), ☏ , toll-free: , ✉ email@example.com. Campsites and cabin rentals.
- 14 Jellystone Park Campground, 1002 Mammoth Cave Rd. (1 mile west of I-65 exit 53), ☏ , toll-free: .
- 15 [dead link] Kentucky Action Park, 3057 Mammoth Cave Rd., ☏ , toll-free: .
- 16 Rock Cabin Camping, 5091 Mammoth Cave Rd. (4 miles west of I-65 exit 53), ☏ .
- 17 Singing Hills RV Park & Campground, 4110 Mammoth Cave Rd., ☏ .
- 18 The Hickory Cabins, 125 Stockholm Road Mammoth Cave, KY 42259 (2 miles north of Mammoth Cave National Park), ☏ .
Most telephone numbers in Cave City consist of +1 270 plus a seven-digit number, but the region is now served by an overlay complex of two area codes, with +1 364 being the second. A local or in-state telephone call now requires all 10 digits of the local number be dialed (omitting just the leading +1 from a local landline call).
Signage on many established businesses may still display the original seven-digit numbers; dial 270 before these if no area code is indicated.
About 80 miles (130 km) north of Cave City is Louisville, the home of Churchill Downs and the Kentucky Derby. Louisville also has the Muhammad Ali Center, Louisville Slugger Museum and 4th Street Live, a thriving entertainment complex downtown.
To the south of Cave City is Bowling Green, where Western Kentucky University hosts football and basketball games, along with performing arts. It also has Beech Bend Park, a small amusement park with a water park.
Further south is Nashville, America's Music City. Along with music related attractions, you'll find Opry Mills Mall, The Parthanon and Tennessee Titans football.
Several Kentucky state parks are within an hour's drive of Cave City. They include Nolin Lake SP (just north of Mammoth Cave), Rough River Dam SRP (northwest of Leitchfield), Barren River Lake SRP (southwest of Glasgow), Green River Lake SP (east of Cave City near Campbellsville), Lake Cumberland State Resort Park (south of Russell Springs) and Dale Hollow Lake SRP (along the Kentucky-Tennessee border).
|Routes through Cave City|
|Louisville ← Elizabethtown ←||N S||→ Jct E → Bowling Green|
|Louisville ← Elizabethtown ←||N S||→ Bowling Green → Nashville|
|Brownsville ← Mammoth Cave ←||W E||→ Jct W E → Campbellsville|
|END ←||W E||→ Glasgow → Jct E|