Champlain [dead link] and Rouses Point are a pair of adjacent villages in Northern New York on the U.S.-Canada border. The villages, 20 miles (30 km) north of Plattsburgh and 40 miles (60 km) south of Montreal, are the northernmost in the state of New York.
Due to its proximity to the border, the area served as a staging point during the War of 1812. Plattsburgh, a city 20 miles to the south, had fended off a British-Canadian attack shortly after dawn on September 11, 1814, in the final days of the war.
The first, un-named attempt at constructing a U.S. fort directly on the border in 1816 became known as "Fort Blunder" as a surveying error placed the fortifications ¾ mile into Canadian territory. After the Webster-Ashburton Treaty of 1842 placed Island Point in the U.S. a second fort, Fort Montgomery (Lake Champlain), was built between 1844 and 1871. The guns from the second fortress were dismantled in the early 1900s.
I-87, from New York City and Albany, terminates at the border crossing in Champlain. Immediately after the border, Autoroute 15 heads north to Montreal and the Laurentians. US-11 passes through both Champlain and Rouses Point, before becoming Quebec Route 223 northbound to Contrecœur/Sorel.
Amtrak operates a small station at Delaware & Pratt Streets in Rouses Point, on the "Adirondack" line between Montréal and New York City
- Barcomb's Marina, 90 Montgomery St, Rouses Point, ☏ .
- [dead link] Gaines Marina, 141 Lake St, Rouses Point, ☏ .
US-11 links the villages.
- Samuel De Champlain History Center, 202 Elm St, Champlain, ☏ . Historical museum.
- Alice T Miner Museum, 9618 US Route 9, Chazy, ☏ .
- [dead link] Angelo's Pizza & Grill, 44 Champlain St, Rouses Point, ☏ .
- Champlain River Grill, 1147 Main, Champlain, ☏ .
- Sandy's Deli, 133 Lake St, Rouses Point, ☏ .
- [dead link] Heaton House B&B, 284 Lake St, Rouses Point, ☏ .
|Routes through Champlain and Rouses Point|
|Montreal ← ←||N S||→ Plattsburgh → Albany (Rensselaer)|
|Montreal ← Lacolle ← becomes ← ←||N S||→ Plattsburgh → Albany|
|END ←||W E||→ Grand Isle → Burlington|
|END ←||N S||→ Plattsburgh → Albany|
|Contrecoeur ← Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu ← becomes ← ←||N S||→ Malone → Watertown|
|Champlain (village), New York|
|Rouses Point, New York|