Tiny Westport is cottage country and the birthplace of the Adirondack chair, originally a "Westport plank chair" designed by Thomas Lee in 1903 and patented by carpenter Harry Bunnell in 1905.
The original chair is simple in design. One plank of hemlock, pine or cedar is cut into eleven pieces and assembled as a distinctive wooden outdoor chair which tilts slightly back. Popular among cottagers, the patents for the chairs have long expired and woodworkers in many faraway places (including a few Amish communities) have readily adopted the basic designs.
While there have been endless knockoffs, ranging from Ontario's "Muskoka furniture" of similar construction to the mass-market composite, resin or recycled plastic imitations of the wooden original which turn up at hardware and lumber dealers nationwide, some of the original wooden chairs are still made in the Adirondacks region and shipped far and wide.
Westport is accessible by car or boat, as it is located on Lake Champlain.
The Adirondack train, a daily Amtrak service between New York City and Montreal serves the town. Additionally, a connecting Amtrak Thruway Motorcoach bus runs to/from Lake Placid. The historic 1 Westport Station, built as a depot in 1876 by Delaware and Hudson Railway is located at 6705 Main St. The depot houses a community centre and the Depot Theatre.
- 1 Depot Theatre, Highway 9N and Ledge Hill Road, ☏ . Live theatre at Westport's 1876 Delaware and Hudson rail station. (Amtrak's Adirondack still stops here.)
- Le Bistro-Du-Lac, 44 Old Arsenal Road, ☏ .
- Merrick's Bread & Coffee, 2576 County Route 10 (corner of Rt 22), ☏ .
- [dead link] Westport Marina, 20 Washington St., ☏ .
- Westport Hotel Restaurant, 6691 Main St., ☏ .
- 1 Westport Hotel, 6691 Main St, ☏ .
- The Inn in Westport NY, 1234 Stevenson Rd, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 3pm, check-out: 11am. Twelve-room inn overlooking Lake Champlain in the Adirondacks. $120 - $180.
|Routes through Westport|
|Montreal ← Plattsburgh ←||N S||→ Ticonderoga → Albany (Rensselaer)|
|Montreal ← Plattsburgh ←||N S||→ Chester → Albany|
|Plattsburgh ← Elizabethtown ←||N S||→ Crown Point → Saratoga Springs|
|Plattsburgh ← Essex ←||N S||→ Crown Point → Jct W E|