The name is pronounced "khep" (the first sound like a German or Scottish "ch" or a Spanish "j" not as in "Chicken" - locals will make fun of you if you make this mistake). The city features a very quaint and pretty town square and winding alleys. However, outside of the center, the city is characterized by grimy heavy industry.
- 1 Cheb Station. Built in the 19th century by several German railroad companies and run in cooperation until the end of WWII when Czechoslovak and later Czech authorities took over. Direct trains run from Prague (250Kc, 3 hours, 3 daily). There are local German trains from Hof, Nuremberg and Bayreuth. Unfortunately, the line is not yet electrified on the German side, so long distance trains are still some ways of.
The center is easily accessible by foot.
Museums and galleries:
- 1 Cheb Museum. 9am-5pm, closed Sun & Mon. 20th-century paintings of Cheb. 50Kc.
- 2 Art centrum Galerie 4 (photography gallery), Františkánské náměstí 30/1, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-Su: 10:00-18:00 (no entry after 17:00), closed on state holidays.
- 3 Cheb Castle. Mostly in ruins except for its towers. Features the biggest Romanesque chapel in Bohemia. 30Kc.
- 4 Namesti Krale Jiriho z Podebrad - Main Square. 16th century former Jewish merchant houses.
- 5 New Town Hall & State Gallery of the Arts. Baroque building from the 18th century. Features Czech modern art. 80Kc.
- 6 St. Wencelas Church.
- 7 St. Nicolas Church. Baroque building from the 13th century.
- 8 Frantiskanske Namesti. Features the St. Clare Church and the Church of the Herald of the Virgin Mary.
- 1 Kartarena, Potočiště 3.
- Jazz Jam Cheb. A yearly nice jazz jam in festival format, held around October.
- 1 Asia Dragon Bazar Svatý Kříž, Svatý Kříž. A great wholesale store.
- Pizzerie Jakubská, Restaurace u Blonďáka, Jakubska 1. Pizza: 80-120 Kč.
- Pizzeria Da Angelo, Jateční 18.
- Autocamp Rybarska Basta (6km east of city center at Drenice). Well-equipped campsite. Tent: 60 Kč; Bed: 220 Kč.
- 1 Hotel Barbarossa, Jateční 458/7. Jazz in reception. Nice bathrooms. Single:1,050 Kč Double: 1,350 Kč, including breakfast.
- 2 Penzion u Vlčků, Májová 40, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 14:00-20:00.
- 3 Hotel Slavie, Svobody 32 (Located in the pedestrian zone, towards the end opposite to the market square), ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Friendly somewhat bigger hotel with a decent standard, however, nothing "fancy".
- Karlovy Vary
- Loket a pittoresque town surrounded by a curve in the Ohře River, which you can well visit on your way to Karlovy Vary
- Františkovy Lázně
- Mariánské Lázně