North America > Canada > Prairies > Saskatchewan > Southeastern Saskatchewan > Wilcox−Avonlea
The Milestone/Wilcox/Avonlea are small towns in a sparsely populated rural area south of Regina near the Dirt Hills. It's most notable for being an area that most drivers pass through between the U.S. border and Regina. This article includes the following communities:
- Avonlea – population 390, located between the Avonlea Creek Valley and the Dirt Hills and has outdoor recreation opportunities.
- Claybank – named from the rich clay deposits found in the area and home to the Claybank Brick Plant National Historic Site.
- Corinne – small settlement located at the intersection of Highways 6 and 39.
- Milestone – population 700; the largest town in the area.
- Rouleau – population 450; the filming location of the popular Canadian sitcom Corner Gas, depicting the fictitious town of Dog River.
- Wilcox – population 265; home to the Athol Murray College of Notre Dame, a Catholic boarding school for students in grades 9-12, as well as the Notre Dame Hounds junior-level ice hockey team, which has numerous alumni that have gone on to play in the National Hockey League.
Highways 6 and 39 are the main highways in the area and intersect at Corinne, about 30 minutes of Regina; Highway 39 runs diagonally from northwest to southeast and connects Saskatchewan's busiest U.S. border crossing at North Portal, while Highway 6 runs north-south and connects Regina with the U.S. border at Regway. Wilcox and Milestone are about 10 minutes northwest and southeast of Corinne respectively on Highway 39, while Avonlea is about 15 minutes west of Corinne on Highway 334.
This is a rural area so you will need a private car.
- 1 Athol Murray College of Notre Dame Archives & Museum, 49 Main Street, Wilcox, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Renowned for its fine academics, athletics and spirituality, the Athol Murray College of Notre Dame is located in the small, prairie community of Wilcox. Founded by "Pere" (Father) Athol Murray, the college's dedicated Archives & Museum recounts the history and includes items dating back to the 1300s. Visit the Rex Beach Repository, St. Augustine Church, Canada Park and Duncan McNeill Arena. Wall of Fame showcases the more that 90 athletes who played in the National Hockey League.
- 2 Avonlea Heritage Museum and Badlands Tours, 219 Railway Avenue, Avonlea, ☏ , email@example.com. Housed in a 1912 CN train station, the Avonlea Heritage Museum features a variety of themed-rooms that depict an old-time Main Street. Additional buildings include CN Cook Car, St. David's Anglican Church and the Pioneer Display Building.
- 3 Claybank Brick Plant National Historic Site, Claybank (1 km E of Claybank or 15 km W of Avonlea on Hwy 339), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Open mid-May to Oct 31. Located in the hills of southern Saskatchewan, the Claybank Brick Plant National Historic Site is a splendid example of early 20th-century industrialism. This site has remained practically unchanged since 1912. While visiting the site, tour brick making from clay to kiln or hike the Massold Clay Canyons. Bunkhouse Cafe & Gift Shop are on site.
- 4 Corner Gas Walking Tour (Dog River Walking Tour), Rouleau. Visit the town of Dog River and take part in the one-hour, self-guided Corner Gas Rouleau Dog River Walking Tour. The popular sitcom Corner Gas was filmed on location in Rouleau from 2003-2008 and returned in 2014 to film Corner Gas: The Movie.
- 1 Dunnet Regional Park, Avonlea (2 km S of Avonlea on Hwy 334, 3 km E), ☏ , email@example.com. Open May long weekend to Sep 15. Dunnet Regional Park is just south of Avonlea on 50 acres (20 hectares) of naturally treed valley. Ash and maple cover in campground with 66 seasonal sites. 18-hole grass greens golf course nearby. Other park amenities include baseball diamonds, PFRA reservoir, fishing, boating, heated swimming pool. Cell phone service. Pets on leash only, and no ATVs, dirt bikes or golf carts allowed.
- 2 Long Creek Golf & Country Club, Avonlea (3 km E of Avonlea on Hwy 334), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. An 18-hole championship golf course.
Eat & drink
- Mary's Place Bar & Restsurant + Punjabi Dhaba, 1000 Industrial Drive, Milestone (along Hwy 39 in Milestone), ☏ . Daily 9AM-8PM; W 9AM-9PM.
- Wilcox Inn Bar and Grill, 609 Railway Ave, Wilcox (along Hwy 39 in Wilcox), ☏ .
- 1 Blue Hills Motor Inn, 501 Main St, Avonlea, ☏ , email@example.com. Features eight modern guest rooms. Pets permitted with management's approval.
- 2 Milestone Campground, Railway Ave E, Milestone, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Milestone Campground is an affordable campground for the weary traveller seeking a quick rest stop. Showers and modern washrooms are available at adjacent swimming pool during pool season. Open Jun 1 to Labour Day.
- 3 Wilcox Inn, 609 Railway Ave, Wilcox, ☏ .
|Routes through Corinne|
|Melfort ← Regina ←||N S||→ → becomes → Plentywood → Sidney|
|END ← Moose Jaw ←||NW SE||→ Weyburn → Estevan|
|Melfort ← Regina ← ←||N S||→ → Weyburn → Williston via|