The major industries in Estevan are coal mining, power generation, oil and gas.
The first European settlers in what was to become Estevan arrived in 1892, along with the expansion of the Canadian Pacific Railway. The name origin is attributed to George Stephen's registered telegraphic address, Estevan. George Stephen was the first President of the Canadian Pacific Railway from 1881 to 1888.
On December 22, 1915, the 152nd (Weyburn-Estevan) Battalion, CEF was authorised and recruited men from the area before departing to Great Britain on October 3, 1916.
Estevan was the site of the notorious Estevan Riot in 1931. Although most of the strikers were from nearby Bienfait, the strike is associated with Estevan because it was in this city the demonstrators were met by members of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. After the subsequent riot, which lasted 45 minutes, three strikers lay dead. It was later proven the three miners had been killed by the RCMP. The miners had been organized by the Workers' Unity League.
Estevan's climate is characterized by cold, long and dry winters and warm, short and relatively humid summers. The mean temperature in January, the coldest month, is −13.7 °C (7.3 °F). The precipitation in winter is chiefly snow, averaging 56.0 cm (22.05 in). The spring is a short transitional season, with a mean temperature of 4.4 °C (39.9 °F) and 107.3 mm (4.22 in) of precipitation, with significant snowfall in April. The summer is usually warm (the mean average high temperature is 25.3 °C (77.5 °F) (average high in July, the warmest month, is 26.5 °C (79.7 °F) and humid (190.8 mm (7.51 in) of total precipitation). Autumn, as spring, is transitional, being warm in September and cooler in October and November. At this time of the year, the average temperature is 4.6 °C (40.3 °F) and the total precipitation is 85.9 mm (3.38 in).
Estevan is the sunniest city year-round in Canada, and it is also the city with the clearest skies year round in Canada.
There are no scheduled intercity buses and no passenger train service into the city.
Estevan is 200 km (120 mi) southeast of Regina on via Highways 6 and 39, with Highways 33 and 47 serving as an alternate route.
If driving from the USA, the closest ports of entry are Noonan, North Dakota and Portal, North Dakota. The North Portal customs office is open 24 hours a day, while the Estevan/Noonan port closes at 9PM.
There is no public transit in Estevan. While the city is relatively walkable due to its size, one may choose to rent a car.
- Sask Power. Power plant tours - go to tourist information booth. free.
- 1 Estevan Art Gallery and Museum, 118 4th Street, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Free public gallery that showcases contemporary art. The gallery's permanent collection includes woodblock-print works by Andrew King. It includes the North West Mounted Police Wood End Post Historical Site (NWMP Museum). This museum is in a house which is the oldest-known North West Mounted Police Detachment Post in Saskatchewan and holds a collection related to the NWMP and the 1874 March West from Roche Percee to Estevan.
- 2 Souris Valley Museum, Highway 39A, Estevan (1 km NW of Estevan), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. A local and regional history museum focused on human development and daily life within Southeast Saskatchewan. The museum provides an engaging depiction of the social and cultural influences and economic development of Southeast Saskatchewan. The collection includes the Schneller Schoolhouse, a Threshing Cook Car, a Homesteader Shack, two of Estevan's original Firetrucks and a Heritage Mining Display.
- 1 La Roche Percee Provincial Historic Site & Short Creek Cairn, Roche Percée (20 km (12 mi) SE of Estevan). Roche Percee rock formations are large sandstone deposits in which some caves have formed.
- Black Beard's Family Restaurant, 1305 9th St, ☏ . M-Sa 5:30AM-10PM, Su 5:30AM-8PM. Homemade fries and burgers.
- Eddie Webster's Dining Room, 122 4th St, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Daily 11AM-10PM. Steaks, burgers, bowls, poutine, breakfasts.
- Original Joe's, 1-421 King St, ☏ . Su-W 11AM - midnight, Th 11AM - 1AM, F Sa 11AM - 2AM. Burgers, bowls, pastas, vegetarian, gluten-free options.
- Willys the Tap House, 1128 4th St, ☏ . Su-Th 11AM-1AM, F Sa 11AM-2AM. Sports bar featuring sub zero draft beer and nightly specials.
- Days Inn, 1305 9 Street, ☏ . Fitness centre, non-smoking rooms, free wireless Internet, restaurant, nightclub, cold beer & wine store, elevator & handicap accessibility, 24-hour front desk. From $84.
- Microtel Inn and Suites, 120 King Street, ☏ . From $85.
- [dead link] Western Star All Suites. TV HD, 24 hour on-site gym, free parking, Jacuzzi suites available, free hot & cold breakfast buffet, soaker tub, free internet WiFi, full kitchen suites, air conditioning. From $129.
|Routes through Estevan|
|Val Marie ← Grasslands National Park ←||W E||→ becomes → Boissevain → Morden/Winkler|
|Regina via ← Weyburn ←||NW SE||→ → becomes → Bowbells → Minot|