The dive sites of the Batsata Rock reefs are some of the southernmost reefs of the west side of False Bay, and are in the restricted zone of the marine protected area. They are mostly medium profile granite and in the shallow to medium depth range.
- S34°16.602’ E018°28.830’ 1 Batsata Rock The rock is visible above the water at all states of the tide.
- S34°16.553' E018°28.840' 2 Batsata Blinder: — the half-tide rock north of the exposed rock.
- S34°16.775’ E018°28.830’ 3 Banging Rocks Reef: — . Granite corestone reef, depth 6 m on top of the pinnacle, 19 m on sand patch a few metres to the east. Maximum depth about 24 m.
This site is in a Marine Protected Area (2004). A permit is required. The site is mostly inside the Paulsberg Restricted Zone. The northern boundary of the restricted zone passes through the isolated northern exposed rock of the group.
The site is named for the exposed rock of the same name. Why it is called Batsata rock is not known. Banging Rocks Reef was named by the divers who explored and surveyed the area in June 2019, because there are one or more boulders that shift with the surge and knock against adjacent rocks.
Fairly shallow around the exposed rocks with an extensive area shallower than 9 m
Maximum depth is about 25 m to the north and east.
Visibility is likely to be similar to the other nearby reef, such as Smits Reef and Partridge Point, but Batsata is a bit shallower and more exposed.
Relatively shallow between the shore and the exposed rocks, but deeper to seaward.
Geology: Pre-Cambrian granite of the Peninsula pluton.
This site is moderately protected from south westerly swell, but quite exposed to south easterly weather. It would usually be a winter dive.
Kelp beds in the shallower areas, and a fair variety of local invertebrates.
No particular route recommended.
No site specific hazards known
No special skills required.
No special equipment recommended
- 1 SAS Transvaal
- 2 MFV Orotava
- 3 Good Hope Reef
- 4 MFV Princess Elizabeth
- 5 SAS Good Hope
- 6 MV Rockeater
- 7 Smits Reef - Kreef Reef
- 8 Smits Reef - Horseshoe Reef
- 9 Smits Cliff
- 10 Smits Reef
- 11 Smits Reef - West Pinnacle
- 12 Smits Reef - Batsata Maze