Durrës is an Albanian Adriatic port city. It has ferries to Bari in (Italy). Alternative spellings of the city's name are Durazzo (Italian), Drač (Драч, Serbo-Croatian) or Dyrrhachion (Δυρράχιον, Greek).
- To Bari in Italy on Agemar, on Azzurra Line or on Dimaio Line
- To Ancona in Italy on Adria Ferries
- To Trieste in Italy on Agemar
... Also there are more ferry operators such as Anek, GNV, European Ferries and Ventouris.
Buses and furgons usually arrive and depart at the bus terminal with the "DURRES" logo on the outside near the railway station.
- From Tirana: The buses depart from the temporary bus station near the Casa Italia shopping center. The ride takes around 45 min and costs 150 lek (May 2022). The bus operates daily from 06:30 to 19:30 and every 30 min.
- From Skopje, Macedonia, buses run through Durrës on their way to Tirana. A typical Skopje-Tirana ticket costs around €25 return.
- From Kumanovo, Macedonia, there is a daily direct bus line to Durrës. The cost of tickets is around €20.
- From Pristina, Kosovo, during the summer season there are several buses a day. You should check the timetables at the Pristina bus station, but in 2013 the timetable was as follows; 04:00, 05:00, 06:00 and 06:30 and then at 14:30, 15:00, 15:30, 16:00 and 23:00. There are at least a couple of buses going back at 16:00 and 17:00. Return ticket costs about €20. The trip takes around 4 to 5½ hours, depending on whether it goes via Prizren. Buses ran by Artiti Tours depart and arrive from the 1 Rrota e Kuqe stop by a roundabout near the middle of Rruga Pavaresia street running parallel, and very close, to the beach. Tickets can be booked online at Gjirafa or Autobus.al. The bus stop can be reached by foot in about half an hour from the city centre; alternatively, take a taxi (about €8) or use a bus running along Rruga Pavaresia from the city centre. The location is surrounded by small supermarkets, cafés and restaurants (for example 1 3 Vellezerit. ), so you won’t starve yourself to death while waiting for your journey.
- 1 Railway Station, Rruga Adria. As of May 2022, there is no link to Tirana (which has been without a train station for some time), only a replacement bus service. One could check with the Albanian railway service provider Hekurudha Shqiptare, if there is a train service from Durrës to Elbasan.
There is a road between here and Tirana, the SH2, which takes just over half an hour for the journey. You could fly into Tirana, then drive or get a taxi to Durrës, with the airport connecting to the SH2 by the SH60. Also from Vorë and Shijak from main roads and highways.
The city centre where the archaeological sites are located can be toured by foot. Many taxis are available in Durrës. You can find them parked everywhere on the streets with a taxi symbol on the top of their car. There are also public buses in orange that can drive you around the city although much slower
- Shen Lucia Catholic Church (Kisha e Shën Luçia), Rruga Don Nikoll Kacorri (Center). Built in 1907.
- Shen Gjergji Orthodox Church. Built in the 19th century.
- 1 Saint Asti and Saint Paul Orthodox Church (Katedralja ortodokse e Shën Palit dhe Shën Asti). Built in 2001.
- 2 Fatih Mosque (Xhamia Fatih), Rruga Xhamia. Built in 1503.
- 3 Great Mosque of Durres (Xhamia e Madhe e Durresit).
- New Mosque. Built in 1937.
- 4 Little Mosque (Xhamia e Vogel).
- 5 Archaeological Museum (Muzeu Arkeologjik), Rruga Taulantia 32.
- 6 Popular Culture Museum, Kavaje village, Rruga Skuraj (S 18 km).
- 7 Alexander Moissi Museum House (Shtepia e Alexander Mois).
- World War II Relics Hall.
- Koloseo Art Gallery. Showcases some of the best work of local painters.
- 8 Durres Amphitheater, Rruga Kalase. The biggest in the Balkans, it features restored iconography works.
- 9 Durres Ancient City Wall, Rruga Sotir Noka (next to the Amphitheater). Medieval Hammam and the Tophane Well inside and around the wall.
- 10 Venetian Tower (Rotonda, Kalaja). A circular tower at the city centre built in the 16th century.
- Shen Mehilli Hill (Kodra e Shen Mehillit). On 18 October 1081, Byzantine Emperor Alexios I Komnenos confronted Norman adventurer Robert Guiscard here. A basilica built in the 6th century AD with a beautiful mosaic is found here.
- Byzantine Forum (Macellum). Built in the 5th century AD and public baths around and beneath Alexander Moissi Palace of Culture.
- 11 Municipality (Bashkia), Sheshi Liria, 15.
- 12 King Zog's Villa (Vila e Zogut), Rruga Kont Urani (lon top of a hill overlooking the city). This used to be the most luxurious crib in all of Albania, but it was looted in the 1997 uprising and isn't open to visitors now. Reportedly prince Leka has plans to renovate the villa "in the near future", but this has been reported for quite some time. Endure the steep climb up the hill for one of the most spectacular views over the city.
- 13 Kavaja Rock (Shkembi i Kavajes) (SE 5 km). A historic landmark in Golem where once caravans used to pass along the ancient Via Egnatia. This is where a battle between Pompey and Julius Caesar is said to have taken place.
- 14 Lalzit Bay Area (N 27 km). Visit Ishem Castle and Rrushkull Nature Reserve (Rezervati Rrushkull)
- 15 Rodoni Castle (Kalaje e Rodonit) (Cape of Rodon).
- 16 Scanderbeg Castle (Sebastia s Castle), Rruga e Sebastes, Laç village (N 33km).
- 17 Shen Ndout Church (Kisha e Shna Ndout), Rruga Kisha e Shna Ndout, Laç.
- 1 Culture Palace, Bulevardi Dyrrah. Events
- Evening walk (promenade). Go for an evening walk along the sea front promenade or along the beach where you can see families walking around or even men with bears on a leash or with snakes entwined around their necks!
- 2 Villa Hill (Kodra e Viles), Rruga Currila. Panoramic view of Durres seaside at Currilat from top of a newly reclaimed hill.
- 3 Seaside Large Steps (Shkallet tek Brryli), Intersection between Rruga Currila and Rruga Taulantia (Brryli area). Sit and admire the sea from up close on these large steps descending into the water
- Watch football: KF Teuta Durrës play soccer in Kategoria Superiore, the country's top tier. Their home ground is Niko Dovana Stadium, capacity 12,000, one km north of the ferry port.
- 4 Lalzit Bay Beach (Gjiri i Lalzit), near Hamallaj village (25 km north of Durres). Popular weekend retreat and exclusive wealthy beach area. A small resort can be found here.
- 5 Portez Beach (Plazhi Portez), Bishti Palles (13 km north of Durres). Nice beach, bar, and wooden bungalows north of Currilat
- 6 Golem beach (Plazhi Golemit/Mali i Robit), Golem, Mali Robit, Kavaja Rock (Shkembi i Kavajes) (follow SH4 and enter secondary road at Plepat roundabout (SH56, SH85) or continue along SH4 and exit at Golem/Mali Robit exit). This is the main seaside resort south of Durres with long sandy beaches popular among Albanians and foreigners alike. Tirana inhabitants have their beach houses and villas in the area for weekend and summer retreats.
- 7 Sea Resort of Golem, Diamma Resort, Rruga Kompleksit (S 7 km), ☏ . Take a dip in the Adriatic Sea water in the biggest sea side resort of Golem.
- Take a look at interesting films from around the world at the annual Durres International Film Summer Festival in early September.
- Visit the yearly Open Port Festival where the Port of Durres opens to the public featuring various exhibits of historic ships and modern inventions coupled with local entertainment.
- Kokomani Wine
- Sea Souvenirs
In the city centre
- 2 Sema (Depart street Adria toward street J.Ballhysa. Make a U-turn to stay on street Adria, at round about take 2nd exit onto promenade Egnatia. Bear right onto street H.Troplini. Turn right to stay on street H.Troplini. Keep straight onto road. Arrive on the right. There is Sema restaurant.), ☏ . 07:00-23:59.
- 3 Rehat Kebab.
Around the Ventus Harbour pier
- 4 Mema House, Taulantia Street (Head east on Adria Street toward J.Ballhysa Street. Make a U-turn to stay on Adria Street. At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit onto Egnatia Promenade. At the next roundabout, take the 1st exit and bear right onto Taulantia Promenade), ☏ , email@example.com. 08:00-22:00.
- 5 Piceri Belvedere, Rruga Taulantia.
Near the city centre
- 6 Piceri 2 Engjejt, Rruga Hysen Myshketa. Pizza
- Bar Restorant Kajser (near King Zog's Villa). it offers a panoramic view of Durres from above. Delicious ice cream combinations including baked ice cream (400 lek), spaghetti, fish and baked lamb.
- 7 Splendid Restorant, Street Egnatia (from street Adria, toward street Adria; at roundabout 1 st exit onto promenade Egnatia; arrive at promenade Egnatia on the left, you can find Splendid restaurant), ☏ . Especially known locally for fish. Everything is fresh, tasty and served in the most professional way. Prices are slightly more than average for Albania, but for the whole experience of eating you get there it's worth every cent.
- Neps (from Durres railway station, take street Adria toward street J.Ballhysa, make a U-turn to stay on street Adria; at the roundabout, take 2nd exit onto promenade Egnatia. At roundabout, take the 1st exit; bear right onto promenade Taulantia; the road name changes yo street of Currila and there you can find Neps restaurant), ☏ . 07:00-23:30. Restaurant in industrial style near the sea.
- Pastiçeri Pelikani 1, Street Pavaresia (near Hotel Adriatic), ☏ . You can eat different sweets.
- 8 Rooftop XV, Street Erazmi, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. 08:00-23:00. This restaurant has a breathtaking view from the 15th/top floor.
- Venetian Tower (Rotonda) bar (on top of the Venetian Tower). It offers a nice view of Durrës and its coastline.
- 1 788 cocktail bar Durres (Depart street Adria toward street J.Ballhysa, make a U-turn to stay street Adria at aroundabout, take 2nd onto promenade Egnatia. Bear right, and then be right onto street H.Troplini. Turn left onto street Dok Margariti. Turn right onto street De Rada and then immediately turn right onto street Epidamni. Turn left onto street Mosque), ☏ , email@example.com. Nice music, great cocktails and that seaside summer breeze. During winter instead, live music, different events and local activities. (Tower is under construction as of 2022-05-08.)
- Bonsai Caffe (from Durrës railway station, go right street Adria, continuing with Martyrs street; welded with Kerol Bar), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. 07:00-23:00. A nice selection of drinks and a very welcoming environment.
- 2 Portiku Wine Bar (from railway station, depart street Adria toward street J.Ballhysa, make a U-turn to stay on street Adria, at roundabout, take 2nd exit onto promenade Egnatia there at roundabout take 1st exit. Turn right at street Epidamni), ☏ . M-W 09:00-23:30, Th 09:00-23:00, F 09:00-23:45, Sa Su 09:00-00:00.
- 1 Hotel Lido Durres, Lagja.2; Rruga Aleksander Goga, ☏ .
- 2 Hotel Nais, Lagia 1, Rruga Naim Frasheri nr.46 (from the port: 100 meters toward the town center; left on Naim Frasheri street, behind the tower). Check-out: 11:00. An easy to find three-star hotel, just off the main street. Close to the action but quiet. Breakfast is included. Double €40.
- 3 Hotel Arvi, Rruga Taulantia 16 (Center), ☏ . Check-in: 12:00-22:00, check-out: 07:00-11:00. Single from €60 (2014.jun).
- 4 Hotel Adriatik, Lagjia 13, Rruga Pavaresia, Plazh Durrës (near the beach), ☏ , fax: , email@example.com. From €80 (May 2014).
- 5 Hotel Pepeto, Mbreti MONUM Nr.3, Rruga Ramazan Jella, ☏ .
- 6 Arragosta Hotel & Restaurant, Neighborhood 1, street Taulantia, Currila (From railway station depart street Adria toward street J.Ballhysa. Make a U-turn to stay on street Adria. At roundabout, take 2nd exit onto promenade Egnatia. At roundabout take 1st exit. Bear right onto promenade Taulantia. Road name changes to Currila`s street. Turn left onto road. Arrive on the left and there you will find Arragosta Hotel & Restaurant), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org.
As of Sep 2021, Vodafone has the best coverage, with 4G in Durrës, the other main towns, and highways between. One and ALB have 4G in Durrës but less coverage elswhere. 5G has not been rolled out in Albania.
- Tirana the capital is ringed by trees and mountains. Mount Dajt has great views of the city.
- Kruje in the hills above Tirana has museums and an old castle.
- Lezhe has Skanderbeg's Tomb, panoramic Lezhe Castle and several renovated churches
- Fier is a lively seaside city, near the ruins of the ancient Illyrian city of Apollonia.