Fertőd is 25 km SE of Sopron, and 26 km from Kapuvár.
The Fertőd train station is in the western part of the city and is served by regional trains of the Raaber Bahn (ROeEE/GySEV).
From Eisenstadt or Wiener Neustadt the journey takes you via Sopron and on via the Hungarian secondary road 8518.
From Győr you take the trunk road 85 to Fertõendréd and then continue on the 8518.
The nearest airports with scheduled traffic are in Bratislava (80 km), Vienna (100 km) and Budapest (180 km).
The city and the castle park are best explored on foot. The numerous well-developed bike paths are ideal for trips into the surrounding area, as is the car.
- 1 Esterházy-Palace Complex, Joseph Haydn u. 2, ☏ . Tu-Sa 09:00-17:00. Sometimes called the "Hungarian Versailles", it is Hungary's grandest Rococo edifice. It has an English Landscape Park (area: 219 ha). Adult Ft 3,500, student or senior Ft 1,750, child under 6 or senior 70 and over free.
- Local History Museum
- Haydn Memorial room (Madách sétány 1.)
- Music house (exhibit place)
- St. Andrew Roman Catholic Church (Süttör district, Széchenyi u. 57.)
- 2 Fertőszéplak (German: Schlippach am See, Croatian: Siplak, Siplaka) (Sopron). Széchenyi mansion, village museum, All Saints Roman Catholic Church (1728, Baroque), Calvary, Railway lamp private museum. -
- 3 Fertőboz (German: Holling, Croatian: Buza) (SE 12 km of Sopron, train to Nagycenk and Győr (74 km)). Historic Roman Catholic church (1732), Gloriette Lookout (1801), Ecce Homo statue (1750), Statue of Saint Apollonia (around 1780), Nagycenk's Széchenyi Museumtrain (between Fertőboz and Nagycenk. Built in 1969-1972), Széchenyi memorial tomb with 34 Caucasian pines. The settlement passed the Fertö/Neusiedlersee Cultural Landscape, what is part of the World Heritage list.
- 4 Hidegség (German: Kleinandrä, Croatian: Vedešin) (Sopron area). Saint Andrew Catholic church (Romanesque part - the Rotunda - an outstanding value in Western Hungary due to the remaining apse frescoes, in the 17th century expanded, in the 18th century over the shrine a tower was attached), Hidegség ornamental fountain (in the centre).
- 5 Csapod (SW 13 km of Kapuvár). Saint Margaret of Antioch Martyr Church (Antiochiai Szent Margit vértanú templom). Country house.
- 6 Nagycenk (German: Großzinkendorf, Croatian: Cinka, Cienka, Cienjka) (Sopron). Count Palace of Széchenyi and Landscape Garden and Linden alley, Széchenyi Mausoleum, Széchenyi István Memorial Museum, Outdoor Small Railway Exhibition, Dedicated to St. Stephen's Church, Historical Railway (near to Palace, built in 1972)
- 7 Nemeskér (Croatian: Namišir) (by train Sopron 28 km, Szombathely 34 km). Lutheran Church (1732, 1862), ruins of the old County Hall (1669), St. Ladislaus Roman Catholic Church (Baroque), iron smelting remains (archaeological site, Avar period ), passed the St. Martin's European cultural walking wandering path .
- 8 Sopronhorpács (Croatian: Varpač) (SE of Sopron). Széchenyi mansion (1771-1774, 1800s, Baroque), St. Peter and Paul Catholic Church (end of the 12th century, 1230, 1714-40, Romanesque, Gothic, Baroque)
- In the town of Fertőd, there are numerous signposted and structurally separate bike paths in the region. For example, you can go around the entire Lake Neusiedl with hardly any traffic (1-2 days) or reach other destinations such as Sopron or Deutschkreutz by bike. Because of the slight inclines, the bike paths are also suitable for less trained riders.
- 1 Fertő-Hanság National Park. explore the Fertö/Neusiedlersee Cultural Landscape, which is part of the World Heritage list.
- Euro Velo 13 Iron Curtain bike path (near Fertőszéplak).
Opposite the main castle portal at the large parking lot there are (overpriced) market stalls where Hungarian salami and local handicrafts are sold. There are better shopping opportunities in Kapuvár and Sopron (including Tesco hypermarket)
In Fertőd stay in the Palace's double and four-person suites Ft 20000 and 40000 per night), there are five Pensions, and ten or more guesthouses.
In Fertőszéplak, there are three guesthouses and a pension.
In Hidegség, there are two guesthouses and a pension.
In Csapod, stay at the Csalogány Youth Camp (Vasút utca 6. five rooms, forty beds), Göbös Pension (Göbös - major, six double rooms).