Jump to navigation Jump to search
East Flanders is one of the five provinces of Flanders (Belgium). Its capital is Ghent. Four major rivers - Scheldt (Schelde), Leie, Dender and Durme - run through the province area and lend their name, fame and strength to the region.
- 1 Ghent — capital of the province with an impressive amount of medieval heritage and a numerous student population.
- 2 Aalst — famous for its carnival.
- 3 Berlare — the Nieuwdonk and Donkmeer lakes attract many people for recreational walks during the summer.
- 4 Beveren
- 5 Deinze — mostly famous for its picturesque banks of the Lys river and the Ooidonk castle.
- 6 Dendermonde
- 7 Geraardsbergen
- 8 Lochristi — centre of the regional horticulture.
- 9 Lokeren
- 10 Oudenaarde — small sized town in the south of the province. Due to its location in the Flemish Ardennes this place is the town you will need to go to if you are into some cycling.
- 11 Sint-Niklaas
- 12 Sint-Martens-Latem — a former heaven for artists. Currently it boasts a few museum of regional painters.
- 13 Waasmunster
- Donkmeer. A large lake in Berlare.
- Cycling. This is the region where the famous Ronde van Vlaanderen (Tour of Flanders) takes place. Most often the more hilly areas in the southern part of the province are used. Ride the same hills and cobbled sections as the pros. Other pro races that happen in this region: Gent-Wevelgem, Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne, Omloop Het Niewsblad, Dwars door Vlaanderen, E3 Harelbeke.
- : 11–14 February 2018Aalst. Carnival celebrations in the city of Aalst. A three-day carnivalesque popular festival. In 2010, UNESCO recognised Aalst Carnival as a cultural world heritage. Traditionally, on Sunday and Monday before Ash Wednesday the original carnival procession parades through the streets of Aalst. (date needs updating)
- Ronde Van Vlaanderen: 8 April 2018Oudenaarde. The most important cycling race in Flanders of the year. The Tour has its finish in the East Flemish town of Oudenaarde. (date needs updating)
- Lokerse Feesten: 3–12 August 2018Lokeren. A music festival in Lokeren
- Mattentaarten, a local speciality from the town of Geraardsbergen.