Gainesville is a city in the state of Texas. It is the county seat of Cooke County.
Gainesville is on I-35 near the Oklahoma border, about 30 minutes north of Denton, and US Highway 82, 30 minutes east of Sherman. It is also served by Amtrak and its Heartland Flyer service. The Heartland Flyer goes between Fort Worth and Oklahoma City once each day in both directions, south in the morning and north in the afternoon. 1 Gainesville Station is located at 605 E California St, just west of downtown.
- 1 Frank Buck Zoo, 1000 W California St (ín Leonard Park), ☏ . Daily 10AM-4PM. One of the better small-town zoos in the state. $7.50 adults, $6.50 seniors, $5.50 children (up to 12).
- Historic Victorian homes. On brick-paved Denton, Lindsay, and Church streets.
- Morton Museum of Cooke County, 210 S Dixon St, ☏ . Tu-F 10AM-3PM. Local history museum, kind of sleepy.
- Santa Fe Depot Museum, 605 E California St (Amtrak station basically), ☏ . Tu-Sa 10AM-Noon. Usually has some photography or art exhibits on display, like of the Old West.
- 2 The Great Hanging Memorial, 799 E Main St. Where some individuals were disturbingly hung during the Civil War for not wanting to participate in Confederate conscription. There's a marker plus a tree.
- Scenic drives. On Farm and Market roads 372, 678, 902 east and south of town. These roads give some great panoramic views of the rolling Cross Timbers landscape.
- Catfish Louie's, 1825 E Highway 82, ☏ .
- Dieter Brothers Restaurant, 401 J M Lindsay Blvd. Texas-style barbecue.
- Hungry Hippo Sub Shop, 112 North Commerce St. This hole-in-the-wall shop sells decent made-to-order sandwiches.
- 1 Main Street Pub & Eatery, 216 West Main St, ☏ . Good home-style dinner spot with a lot of local flavor. Try the trout.
- 2 Los Mariachis Mexican Restaurant, 319 North Commerce St, ☏ . 11AM-9PM. What it lacks in timely service, it makes up for in flavor.
- 3 Neu Ranch House, 1825 U.S. 82, ☏ .
- Sarah's On the Square, 115 West California St, ☏ . Great homestyle cooking, including good soups and burgers. Try the pecan-crusted chicken.
- 1 Quality Inn, 600 Medal of Honor Blvd, ☏ . It has a semi-big complimentary breakfast.
- Hampton Inn & Suites, 4325 I-35, ☏ . Hopefully a cold front hasn't passed through; otherwise, you'll probably freeze in the pool.
|Routes through Gainesville|
|Oklahoma City ← Ardmore ←||N S||→ Fort Worth → END|
|Oklahoma City ← Thackerville ←||N S||→ Denton → Dallas/Fort Worth|
|Wichita Falls ← Muenster ←||W E||→ Sherman → Texarkana|