Europe > Central Europe > Hungary > Great Hungarian Plain
- Bugac — a small village near the Kiskunság National Park; also the site of the Kurultaj, an annual celebration of the Hungarians' nomadic roots
- Debrecen — In Hajdú-Bihar county. The second largest city in the country.
- Jászberény| — a small town famous for Lehel's horn.
- Kecskemét — a town famous for its vibrant music scene, plum brandy, and Art Nouveau architecture.
- Nyíregyháza — a medium-sized city with a busy water resort, museum village, and annual autumn festival.
- Mátészalka — a small town famous for it's early 20th century Jewish history and it's vibrant flea-market in modern times.
- Szeged — the sunniest city in Hungary
- Szolnok — A small city on the banks of the Tisza river
- 1 Mád (10 km from Szerencs Town). This is a village with a special atmosphere situated in the heart of the Tokaj wine region, UNESCO World Heritage site. Need to visit: Malonyay house, Rákóczi-Aspremont castle, Foothills Savings Bank building, historic synagogue (Europa Nostra Award-winning), Roman Catholic Church, Reformed Church and Chapel, Wine cellars
- Nyírtass — a small village
The county's major tourist attraction is the endless lowlands, the undisturbed nature and the monuments of cities. Recently, the tourists have turned their attention to the farms, where the legendary wilderness romance and the proximity to nature could be enjoyed.
- 1 Baja (German: Frankenstadt?) (From Szeged W90 km). Main sights: Danube-Sugovica, Town hall, Franciscan Church and Monastery, St. Peter and St. Paul Church, Baja synagogue, Calvary Chapel, St. Roch Chapel Meszaros tomb, St. John's Chapel, Andrew Jelky statue, Stephen Türr Museum, Istvan Nagy Gallery, Türr Stephen's memorial, IV. Charles memorial. Main events: Baja Fish Cooking Festival (jul.12th). Further afield: Gemenc, Europe's largest contiguous floodplain forest
- 2 Dunapataj (Dunapataj – Szelidi-tó) (N 10 km from Kalocsa). - Szelidi lake is a a holiday resort and nature reserve with unique wildlife is 4 km away from Dunapataj. Events: the Szelidi Summer Festival (Jul and Aug)- the Pataji Autumn (Sep).
- 3 Kalocsa (Croatian Kaloč, Kalac, Serbian Kaloč or Калоча, German Kollotschau). Main sights: Cathedral of Kalocsa, Archbishop's Palace, Pepper Museum, Schöffer Museum, Folk House, Archbishop Botanical Garden, Theater, Forty-Eights Square, King Stephen (Main) road, Lajos Kossuth Road (the continuation of St Stephen Street), Trinity Square (Main Square). Events: Picnic Fest (Majális), Dragon Boat Cup (Sárkányhajó Kupa), Midsummer Night fun (Szent Iván-éji mulatság), St. Stephen's Days (Szent István Napok), Danube Folk Festival (Duna Menti Folklórfesztivál), Blue Bird Festival (Kék Madár Fesztivál), Kalocsa's Paprika Festival (Kalocsai Paprikafesztivál)
- 4 Kecskemét (Kecskemét) (Easy daytrip from Budapest or Szeged by train or by bus). Main sights: Town hall, Cifra Palace, Science and Technology Hall (former synagogue), Katona József Theatre.
- 5 Kiskunfélegyháza (S 30km of Kecskemét). Main sights: Town hall, Visitation of Our Lady Church, Kiskun Museum, Calvary, Windmill, Ligetös (main) street - Europe's longest row of plane trees, Mora Ferenc (writer) birthplace memorial museum, Petofi Sandor Memorial Room (Tibor Dulity permanent exhibition of the artist), Spa Hotel listed building (ruined).
- 6 Kiskunhalas (S 148 km of Budapest; S-SW 63 km of Kecskemét; NE 56 km of Baja; W-NW 55 km of Szeged). Main sights: Sáfrik windmill, Town Hall Buildings, Country House, John Thorma Museum, Halas Lace House, Lamenting Kurucz statue, fish Gallery, Country Flag Memorial, Hero's statue, Gentlemen's Casino, Reformed Church, Roman Catholic Church in Lower City, Old Protestant Cemetery - National Graveyard
- 7 Hajós (Croatian: Ajoš, German: Hajosch) (SE 20 km of Kalocsa, NE 30 km of Baja). cellar village (Pince falu). There are over 1,200 press houses, Hajós Palace (Hajós Kastély) Event: Urban day wine festival (Orbán Napi Borünnep, end of May)
- 8 Fajsz (Croatian: Fajsin) (Kalocsa 17 km, Baja 32 km). - Neo-Romanesque Church of (St. Stephen Szent István-templom) 1910
- 9 Kunfehértó (Croatian Fertov, Vertov) (SW 10 km of Kiskunhalas). Holdrutás forest (Holdrutás erdő) Nature reserve
- 10 Kiskunmajsa. Spa and Waterpark, 1956 Museum of Roman Catholic Church
- 11 Kiskőrös (Slovakian: Malý Kereš, Croatian: Kireš, Kereša) (N 15 km of Kiskunhalas). Sandor Petofi memorial museum and birthplace
- 12 Miske (SE 10 km of Kalocsa). Roman Catholic Church (1738), Menyhért Toth's House
- 13 Sükösd (Baja 12 km). St. Anne's Chapel ( Szent Anna-kápolna)
- 14 Tompa (28 km of Kiskunhalas). St. Anne's Church built in 1893-1905, Redl Palace
- 15 Lake Vadkert, Soltvadkert (Vadkerti-tó also called "Stinky Lake" (Büdös-tó)) (N 10 km of Kiskunhalas). One of the most popular tourist destinations in Hungary since it had similar features to Lake Balaton, but cheaper prices and no overcrowding. Cclean water and great beaches. It contains 70 ha of water. One side of the lake is used for fishing, the other is for swimming. There are bungalows all around the lake and a dozen restaurants. There are a couple of camping places mostly used by young people.
- 16 Gyula. - Almasy Castle, Castle Bath, Downtown Church, County Hall, ruins of Franciscan Monastery garden, Béke (Peace) Avenue, Orthodox Church of Miklósváros, Ferenc Erkel 's Birthplace, Városháza (Town Hall), Street Promenade, Centenary confectionery, Ladics house
- 17 Szarvas. Lutheran Old Church, Historic Memorial Road, Mills of Szarvas, Anna - park, Elizabeth Park, Szarvas Arboretum
- 18 Orosháza. Evangelical Church, Monori inn, Rágyánszky Arboretum, Holecska Joseph 's bush farm, Fountains Museum, Gyopárosfürdő, Historical Memorial Park of Gellértegyháza, Literary Memorial House of Darvas József, Museum of Szántó Kovács János
- 19 Mezőhegyes. County farm, Historic city center, stud of Mezőhegyes, Indoor riding with a 200 -year-old sycamore tree, Manor No.18 : The Wrangler's home
- 20 Dévaványa. – Bustard reserve
- 21 Geszt. Tisza mansion with crypt
- 22 Kardoskút. – Livestock farms of Sóstó
- 23 Gödény-Pelican mounds (near to Békésszentandrás). Hungary's largest kurgans
- 24 Kaszaper. Railway Exhibition
- 25 Méhkerék. – Cucumber festival
- 26 Pusztaföldvár. Ancient lawn of tatársánc (Tatarian earth rampart)
- 27 Szabadkígyós. 'Wilderness' of Kígyós, Wenckheim Castle
- 28 Szeghalom. Reformed Church
- 29 Tótkomlós - Nagykopáncs (Nagykopáncsi Templom Szent István Kápolna). – 12-13th century-old Arpad dynasty church (partly reconstructed)
- 30 Újkígyós. - Ipolyi Arnold Adult Education exhibitions: Moldavian folklore exhibition, religious relics exhibition of Banat's Swabian folk, Local History Exhibition (Hungarian, Slovak, Romanian folk memories)
- 31 Vésztő (Vésztő- Mágor Történelmi Emlékhely) (5 km NW from Vésztő center). Monastery ruins of Mágor
- 32 Hódmezővásárhely. Town hall, Reformed Old church, Orthodox Church, Synagogue, Garden of Strawberries (Epröskert), Abandoned sand-pit, Former pits of Brick Factory-nature trail, pasture of Batida-Kopáncs. - To Do: explore Mártély Protected Area
- 33 Makó. Bér (lit. Payroll) Palace, Espersit House, Greek Catholic Church, Onion House, Statue of Hollósy Cornelia, Attila József High School, Korona (Crown) Hotel, Statue of Lajos Kossuth, Orthodox synagogue, Reformed Old church, Former Police station, The Old Townhall, Former Financial Palace, Post Palace, Statue of Joseph Pulitzer, Bishop's residence and chapel, St Stephen Parish, Town hall - To Do: Thermal Spa
- 34 Szentes. Historic Downtown, Szechenyi park. - To Do: Cserebökény wilderness (puszta)
- 35 Nagymágocs. Károlyi Palace
- 36 Kiszombor. Catholic Church
- 37 Ópusztaszer. 38 Ópusztaszer Heritage Park (Ópusztaszeri Nemzeti Történelmi Emlékpark), Szoborkert 68 (near to Kistelek), ☏ , , fax: , firstname.lastname@example.org. Mar 31-Oct 31: Tu-Su: 10:00-18:00 (Summer Season), Monday: closed. - in Winter 2 hour shorter. Accommodation at Szeri camp site (near to Park) small/big cottages HUF4000/13000, yurt accommodation HUF2000 p.p., camp sites HUF1100, phone=+36 30 717 0627, email@example.com , Csillagösvény (Star Trail) Labyrinth
- 39 Zákányszék. Aviary
- 40 Balmazújváros (Near to Hortobagy). Balmazújváros is proud of its culture and traditions. The town keeps and cultivates its traditions, especially local folk crafts. Sights here:Local History Museum, Peter Veres Memorial Exhibition, Semsey Palace, Thermal Spa, Big Backpacks Natural park (Nagyháti park).
- 41 Berettyóújfalu. – Broken Tower
- 42 Hajdúdorog. – Greek Catholic Cathedral
- 43 Hajdúnánás. Ostrich Farm
- 44 Hajdúszoboszló (19 km southwest of Debrecen). This is a very nice bath city, also excellent for a day trip. Remains of fort wall, Bell House, Europe's largest bath
- 45 Hortobágy. - Member of the UNESCO World Heritage sites since 1999. See more down 'do' chapter
- 46 Monostorpályi. Reformed church and granary buildings (tubusmagtár)
- 47 Nagykereki. Bocskai castle
- 48 Nyíracsád. Reformed Church
- 49 Püspökladány. St. Agatha bridge
- 50 Abádszalók (Next to Lake Tisza, train station five km way, trains to Heves, Kisújszállás). Exaltation of the Holy Cross Roman Catholic church, Tiszaabád Protestant church (1787-1789). Tiszaszalók's reformed church (1811-1822), Tiszaszalók's Roman Catholic Church (1744, baroque) Doll Museum (360 dolls wear 156's robe of the Carpathian Basin plus 226 dolls from 65 other countries) and village houses, and a huge ancient defense system remains; Sand Martin Colony, 'kosboros' meadow of Aranyos, Mill inn (Mikszath út, - Here functioned 1912-1913, the Abádszalók's steamsaw and steam mill). Apartment building (Mikszath u. 23 1880's classic style. Apartment building ( Mikszath 26, built in the second half of the 19th century, classicist style). "Attila" Fountain.
- 51 Alattyán (Archaic: Olaptiuã) (N 34 km of Szolnok). Gecse House, (Gecse Arpad artist's legacy can be viewed oil paintings, graphics, sculpture portraits, plaques and altarpieces with the artist's belongings and documents). Jewish cemetery, (memorial park since 1999). Church of St. Michael (1773).
- 52 Berekfürdő (Trains from Karcag, Tiszafüred). Pincés mound (kunhalom) - 'Secrets of the Soviet Military Airbase' aviation history museum.
- 53 Fegyvernek (Kisújszállás 16 km, take a bus). Puszta Tower (Gothic church remains, 1480); Roman Catholic Church (romantic style, 1862-63); Reformed Church (1928); Szapárfalvi new Catholic church (1992); St. John of Nepomuk Statue (Baroque, 1775); Judge Castle; Szapáry Schwarz Castle, Calvary Hill. - Events: National Student goulash festival (second or third Saturday in May); Tisza Blooming Day (end of June)
- 54 Jászapáti (Trains from Szolnok). Farm Museum (agricultural exhibition), Vágó Paul's Local History Collection (Bela Michael ceramic designer works), Roman Catholic church (with two towers of medieval monuments, which modified several times. Its present form got in 1833. The picture of the dome of a church made by Paul Vágó, the side altars painted Mór Than. The building is surrounded by fortified, crenellated fence. Library (19th century, classical style. Located opposite the church. Previously town hall. ). - to 'Do': Tölgyes swimming-pool (with thermal water, six pools and Camping), Fishing Lakes. - Events: Harvest Festival: every summer; Spring Starter Farmers days (national horse show and competition); Tradition preserving camp (a week long, crafts "camp" for kids, in the city library.). - Tourinform (Damjanich út 8.)
- 55 Jászárokszállás (Trains from Szolnok). Kűlső Inn (first half of the 18th century. Loc.:Széchenyi út 104) ; Holy Trinity Roman Catholic Church (1761-1767); City Hall (1863, romantic style); Csörsz Leader Hotel (former "Big Tavern", 1905, loc.: Móczár Andor tér); Jász-house (1882 - permanent ethnographic exhibition, Széchenyi út 31); Industry Board building. - To Do: Jászárokszállás Thermal Bath, Peres-lapos lake
- 56 Jászberény (E 79 km of Budapest; Szolnok 45 km). Franciscan Church and Monastery (Gothic), Jász Museum (permanent exhibitions: historical, archaeological, ethnographic, Lehel horn shrine), Hamza Museum and Jász Gallery Public Foundation, József Sisa creative house Jászberényi Zoo and Botanical Garden, Hajta's marsh.
- 57 Jászboldogháza (S 15 km of Jászberény , trains from Hatvan, Szolnok). Local History Collection, , Community Centre, Holy Family Roman Catholic Church (built in 1930). Statue of St. Wendelin (Imredy road, built in 1905). - To 'Do': Bicycle Tours of Bíbic nature trail, City Bath (HUF800, 2014). - To stay: Camping (right next to Bath, Alkotmány u. 5)
- 58 Jászdózsa (Direct train and bus from Szolnok). St. Michael Church (1777-82, late baroque), Five-hole Stone Bridge" (1811-13, width: 6.65 m and length 40 m), Folk House, Pap forest (natural protected area) - Event: Farewell to the last Sunday of each September.
- 59 Jászfényszaru (Fényszaru) (Bus from Budapesthez, Gödöllő, Hatvan, Jászberény. Trains from Hatvan, Szolnok). All Saints Roman Catholic Church, Kiss József Local History Collection,Papp mansion, Rimóczy mansion. - Events: Stubble festival Equestrian Festival
- 60 Jászjákóhalma (Budapest approx. 86km, Jászberény, approx. 6 km, from both direct buses). St. James Roman Catholic Church (originally 15th century, Gothic style; in 1778 remodeled in Baroque style.); Roman Catholic parish (1904); Holy Cross and Calvary Chapel (1884). Peter Horvath Local History Collection; Stone Cross (1827); Jesus Statue with "Rooster" (19th century). Tarna Bridge (turn bridge) ; Laki Ida Gallery; Protected barn (18th-century). - To 'Do': walk around the Natural Protected Areas: Templom-coast, Templom Square, Cemetery, Tarna backwater
- 61 Jászszentandrás (Budapest approx. 100, Szolnok, approx. 50 km, from both direct buses). Exaltation of the Holy Cross Roman Catholic Church ( Neo-Gothic, 1903 ), Truffle Museum (Járási iskola út 57. Tel:+36-30-6272781), Country House: shows the characteristic Jász furnishing, work tools, tools. - to 'Do': András thermal bath and camping
- 62 Jásztelek. Bishop of St Martin's Parish Church, Folk House,, To 'Do': Pusztamizse's Natural Protected Area - Stay in a motel (cap.: 50 bed, Loc.: Jásztelek, Pusztamizse), or a guesthouse (Cap.: 8 beds, Loc.: Jásztelek, Szabadság u. 32),
- 63 Karcag (Kardszag) (Direct trains to Szolnok, Debrecen, Nyíregyháza, Záhony). Zador Bridge (1809) , Reformed Church (Baroque style in 1789, rebuilt in the early 19th century) ; Stephen Györffy Nagykun Museum (ethnology, building from the 1830's) ; Gothic chapel ruins (15th century) ; Nagykunság Folk Country House; Israelite Temple - Synagogue; Sandor Kantor Pottery House; Morgó Tavern with a tunnel, Windmill Tavern House with an operating wooden (1858);; Museum of History of Medicine and Pharmacy, Twenty four local level protected mounds /kunhalmok/ - (Asszonyszállási-halom, Lözér-halom, Magyarkai-halom, Orgonda-halom, Péntek-halom, Sárga-halom, Zádor-halom, Hegyesbori-Kis-halom, Kis-Kettős-halom, Kontai-Kettős-halom, Kanvágta-halom, Nagy-Görgető-halom, Tibuc-halom, Vermes-halom, Ágota-halom, Törökbori-halom, Disznó-halom, Hegyesbori-Nagy-halom, Szőlős-halom, Telek-halom, Vágott-halom, Hármas-határhalom, Konta-halom, Ecse-halom ) To 'Do': Karcag City thermal swimming-pool and Camping
- 64 Kenderes (by bus: Abádszalók, Békéscsaba, Eger, Gyöngyös, Gyula, Karcag, Mezőkövesd, Miskolc, Szeged, Szentes, Szolnok, Tiszafüred, by train Abádszalók, Kál-Kápolna, Kisköre, Kisújszállás). Halasy-Horthy Mansion, Horthy family crypt, Maritime Museum, Horthy grove (Szent István Boulevard's protected parkway)
- 65 Kisújszállás (Karcag district, by train: Szolnok, Debrecen, Nyíregyháza). – Ethnographic Exhibition Hall (Folk Exhibition, Petõfi street nr. 5), Papi Lajos Artists' House (Nyár utca 8.), Folk House (200-year-old, Széchenyi street nr. 58 ), Ecsegpuszta. - To 'Do': Walking in Elizabeth grove (several hectares oak), thermal spa with camping. Horvath farm ("Footsteps of Outlaws" riding tour); Berettyó River (bird world, the Great Bustard reserve), - Events: "Hétpróbás Kunokért" (In June, folk quiz games), Kisújszállás Days (In August, colorful folk dance, folk music and folk art shows, fairs); Kun-fighting (In September, the national archery competition) - Tourinform Office: Deák Ferenc St., 6.
- 66 Kengyel (by train: Szolnok, Hódmezővásárhely, Makó). Sacred Heart of Jesus Parish Church ( 1934-36); Szélmalom Hill with a windmill (1900, currently ornithological monitoring station); Baghy-major Roman Catholic chapel and protected Turkish hazelnut trees
- 67 Kunhegyes (by train: Kál-Kápolna–Kisújszállás). Reformed Church (1827-48,classicist), Komlóssy Windmill, Ethnographic Collection, Salt House (built in 1739, Baroque style, now the Public Library); Wooden headboard (for the settlement of the existence of 700 years anniversary); Trianon cross; Town Hall was built in 1878 in eclectic style, based on the plans of John Pum. Holy Trinity Roman Catholic Church (1830-36, classicist); Chasuble Collection (Catholic Church); Kun Captain House (1880); Komlóssy Windmill (one of the most beautiful windmill on Nagykunság, 1859, brick) - To 'Do': Bige-fertő Natural Protected Area (a former deep marsh, now saline pastures, ancient lawn. East 11 km), Gergely mound, Kunhegyesi Saint Stephen Thermal baths, Cris Valley Natural Protected Area (Körös-völgyi Természetvédelmi Terület)
- 68 Kunszentmárton (76 km of Szeged, 50 km of Kecskemét and Szolnok, 25 km of Szarvas. - Direct trains to/from Szolnok, Hódmezővásárhely, Makó, Kecskemét, Kunszentmárton). St. Martin Roman Catholic church (1781-1784, one of the tallest church in Hungary), City Museum, City Hall, the Attila József High School, was Körös (historical) hotel, Museum of Local History (Kerületiház Street) was the Kerületiházat. former synagogue (now Béla Bartók Hall for concerts and axhibits, Deák Ferenc Street). Körös dam (with the Farkas bends is very unique), 'Alsó' cemetery's chapel and Stacio lines, Köttön street) was the windmill (Szentesi út).- To 'Do': Beach at Körös River bank. Near to the City: the Hármas Körös River and its floodplain (part of the the Koros-Maros National Park). Ride on a bike and explore this area, water tours, bird watching, fishing also hunting possibilities are here. - Map - Events: May - May Day Picnic and Children's Day; June - Kaiser Cup Force Festival; The last weekend in June - Wind Orchestra Meeting and Tuszazug Music Festival (Roman Catholic Church) ; July - Two-days rock festival; August - St. Stephen's Day, Dalamáris Folk Music Festival, Tuszazug cultural shows and Kungyalu's traditional Riding Day; Mid-September - City Day, Körös Fish Food Cooking Competition; November - St Martin's Days. - To stay: riverside Camping and Mid-school College.
- 69 Martfű (Marthfew) (Trains to/from Szolnok, Szentes (two hourly), By bus well connected). St. Thomas the Apostle Roman Catholic Church (1993-96, based on Gabor Marosi plans); Historic Mansion Hotel; Community Centre and Library; Local History Exhibition (showing the history of the local shoe factory); City Hall (1993-96, St. Stephen's Square); Reformed Church (1993-96); - To 'Do': Martfű Thermal SPA Touristical Centre (with Swimming Pool and Camping); boating lake; Tisa floodplain
- 70 Mezőtúr (By train Budapest, Szolnok, Békéscsaba, Mezőtúr, Orosháza, Mezőhegyes). Mezőtúri Reformed Great Church (1792, rebuilt 1843 to 1845) ; Újváros Presbyterian Church (1894-1896, Neo-Gothic); Roman Catholic Church (1817-1824, Classic Style) ; Lutheran Church (1926, Eclectic); Old Synagogue (Exhibit Hall, 1830, Classical); City Hall (1928, Eclectic); Barracks Firefighter (1927); Petofi house; Albrecht mansion; Turi Pottery Museum; Badár Memorial Room and Pottery Art House; Peres Folk House (built in 1902 steam-powered pumping station, the Koros Valley nature reserve of fauna and flora of the presentation); Local History Collection.- To 'Do': Mezőtúr City Beach and Indoor Swimming Pool - Events: End of August - Dragon Boat Racing; August 20th - St. Stephen's Day Celebration, Harvest Parade; August 20th - National Zither and Folk Dance Gala; Last weekend in August - Tur Fair; mid-August - Mezőtúr Arts Days ('arTur' festival); summer - East Fest music festival (Loc.:Municipal Swimming pool); End of September - Hungarian Folk Tale Day - Storytelling Competition; Mid October - Feast of zither; End of October - Demetrius day's Folksong Singing Competition; End of November - National Championship Wing Chun; December - Children and Youth Zither bands Meeting; December 30th - New Year's Running Competition. - Tourinform Office (Kossuth tér 1.; Tel.: +36 56 550-637 Tel./Fax: +36 56 350-901)
- 71 Nagyiván (By bus: Tiszafüred). The 'Puszta'. The village lies at the edge of the Hortobágy National Park (a part of the World Heritage list. The village is surrounded on three sides by the National Park. There is the Kunkápolnás marsh (strictly protected 3,000 hectares area, can be visited only with permission, several rare plant and animal species live there. Near to the village border is several mound (kunhalom). One of them, the Bürok mound with its 104.8 m the highest point of elevation of the Hortobágy.
- 72 Nagykörű. world-famous abut its cherry. Sights: Country House, Baranyó Sándor painter's Studio, Elijah Stone, Cherub statues, St. John of Nepomuk statue - Events: End of Feb - Winter farewell party (Ice Break holiday, Szabadság u. 21-23); Jun -randy festival; Mid July - Mary Magdalene's day; Dec - Advent fair. - Tourinform (Jun-Aug M-F 08:00-16:00 , Sa-Su 08:00-13:00, Május 1. út 1)
- 73 Szolnok (By train: From/to Budapest (hourly, 1 h- 1h 20 min)). Downtown Church, János Damjanich Museum (permanent exhibitions: archeology, ethnography, history, art), Hungarian Aviation Museum, Artist Colony (exhibitions), Taban Country House, Outdoor Water Museum, Szolnok Gallery (Szolnok synagogue), Tisa Grove, Verseghy Park, Colony of House Martin (Molnárfecsketelep, Ságvári Boulevard, in the three-storey houses opposite the market square and the Várkonyi ). Tiszavirág bridge
- 74 Tiszabura (Near to Tiszafüred). Bárczay Mansion Memorial Park, Elizabeth Park, Reformed Church, Folk House, Szapáry Chapel
- 75 Tiszaderzs (Near to Tiszafüred). Reformed Church (18th century) Church ruin ( 13th-century, Romanesque), - To 'Do': Cserőköz backwater, Cserőköz Conservation Area. - Map
- 76 Tiszaföldvár (S of Szolnok , By train Szolnok, Szentes (two hourly)). Urban Reformed Church (Late Baroque, 1788); Lutheran Church (1855, late Classicist); St. Stephen's Church (Roman Catholic, 1894, Neo-Romanesque, Neo-Gothic); Heart of Jesus Church (Roman Catholic, Homok district, Döbrei János út); Princes might apartment (now Tuszazug Geographic Museum, Kossuth Road 101); Kossuth Square historic architectural ensemble; Somogyi Monument (in front of St. Stephen's Church); Free Chimneys (Gulyas-family) house (1890-1900, Kossuth u. 2); Kossuth tree (Oak Methuselah). - To 'Do': Thermal water swimming-pool and Camp (curative thermal waters. waveless swimming pool, baby splash pool, pool water massage jets, hot food restaurant, a snack bar. Volleyball, soccer and water polo).
- 77 Tiszafüred ("The Lake Tisza Capital") (By train Debrecen, Füzesabony, Karcag). Tiszafüredi Reformed Church (baroque, eighteenth century. Address: Fő út 5); Assumption Roman Catholic Church (1819 -1827, neo-classical, Address: Fő út 27); Örvény St. Anne's Church in 1914, a Roman Catholic. Address: Füredi út 13 )); Kócsújfalu King St. Stephen Chapel (Address. Tiszafüred-Kócsújfalu, Dobó u); Synagogue and Jewish Martyrs Memorial Plaque (Fő út 40); Hard Castle and Castle Park (eclectic mansion is now the Hortobágy National Park office building, 1920 Title:. Ady Endre út) ;Lipcsey mansion (now Pál Kiss Museum, classic, 1840, Address: Ady Endre út); Nyúzó Gaspar Pottery Village Museum, (neo-classical 1900); Meggyes Tavern Museum (Kócsújfalu); Visitable workshops: the pottery, basket weaving and Leatherworkers. Imre Szucs pottery exhibition, a protected English oak - To 'Do': Tiszafüredi Beach and Spa; Town Hall (built 1896 Address: Fő út 1); Robin Floodplain Adventure Park, Tiszafüred bird sanctuary, Hortobágy National Park, The Kiskörei Reservoir (commonly known as: Lake Tisza, backwaters, oxbow lakes).
- 78 Tiszaigar (S of Tiszafüred). St. John of Nepomuk Roman Catholic Church (1782-1785, late Baroque); The Roman Catholic parish (1782-1785, late Baroque); Reformed Church (1789, late Baroque); Millennium monument (from 2000). - To 'Do': Arboretum Conservation Area (19 ha, free of charge, vsiting time 08.00-16.00; Protected oaks and wild pear trees) and King Matthias tree,
- 79 Tiszakürt (By bus: Szolnok, Kecskemét, Gyula). Bolza Castle (end of the 19th century); Reformed Church (1887, eclectic style.); Roman Catholic Church ; Granary (19th century); "Madáritató" fountain. - To 'Do': Bolza Arboretum (60 ha, Nature reserve)
- 80 Tiszavárkony (By train: Szolnok–Kiskunfélegyháza). Virgin Mary Catholic Church (1728, single nave, Baroque) , Reformed Church (1814-1816, neoclassic and late Baroque). recreation park, Art House
- 81 Tiszaszentimre (ancient: Zenthemreh) (By train: Karcag, Tiszafüred). Protestant church (18th-century); , vicarage (18th-century, baroque, neoclassical), Szent Imre statue (in the church garden); Village House (local history exhibit) - To 'Do': Visit loess grassland of Nagypallag. - Events: National Hunting Day
- 82 Törökszentmiklós (ancient: Zenthmyclos, Balaszentmiklós) (By train: Budapest-Nyugati, Szolnok, Debrecen, Nyíregyháza, Miskolc). Holy Trinity Roman Catholic Church (built between 1898-1900, Romanesque-Gothic style. Address: Arnold Ipolyi tér 1) ; Reformed Church (historic building, built between 1787-89 Address: Kossuth u, 114); Almasy Palace (1860-1890 eclectic in. not open to visitors during renovation (2014-?). and its Park (14 ha, conservation land since 1980); English thoroughbred stud (Szenttamás-puszta, can not be visited) ; Local History Collection (Ipolyi Arnold Library, Museum and Cultural Center. Address: Almássy u 20). - To 'Do': Bathing beach, camping and fishing lake.
- 83 Túrkeve (ancient: Keve, for locals: Túrkevi, Kevi) (By bus: Mezőtúr, Kisújszállás). Finta Museum (local history, film and sculpture art), Győrffy-farm, Beaded House. Csörsz ditch (the city's northwestern border). There are many mounds around the Town:Tere mound the most famous. (An excavation area. Here stand the wood palace of Attila Hun great king, the "Scourge of God" (flagellum Dei) . Here found the remains of the most northerly European, settlement from the Bronze Age.); Bokrosi mound (Here found a conquest-era silver plate purse, what is now kept in the Hungarian National Museum); Other mounds in Túrkeve: Burkus mound, Csurgó's mound, Central mound, Bachelor (Legény) mound, Great Póhamara's mound, Pásztó's mound, Buga mound, Hermit (Remete) mound, Yellow-bank (Sárga-part) mound, Lőrinc mound Túrkeddi-Big-mound, Vecserke mound, Vénkerti mound, Stone mound, Kender-mound, Double (Kettős) mound, Nameless (Névtelen) mound, Csudabala mound and Stirrup (Kengyel) mound. - To 'Do': Walking, cycling or horse riding tours. Relaxing in Turkeve Spa & Thermalbath, Hotel, Apartments and Camping Complex. Also visit Ecsegpuszta: a living area for the protected Eurasian stone-curlews and Great bustards. - Events: May - Shepherd Festival. - To Stay: there is a hotel, apartmans, camping and a couple guesthouse.
- 84 Újszász (By train: Budapest, Szolnok (hourly, both)). Orczy Mansion and its protected Mansion Park (Was built around 1830 in the classic style. Its builder was George Orczy. Address: Akácfa u., ); Orczy Mansion (Built in the late 1880s, eclectic style. Its builder was Andor Orczy. Address: Abonyi út 1); Saint Stephen Roman Catholic Church (1807, late baroque style, converted in 1885, neo-Romanesque form); Reformed belfry (1949). - Events: Sept. - Újszász City Day and 'Sea' (maize) Cavalcade and Traditions Concourse, Aug. - Újszászi Farewell (St. Stephen's Day Feast); Mid Aug. - Lowland Bikers 'Moto'-Rock Meeting; Midsummer Night bacon frying; 1st weekend of May - May Festival
- 85 Nyírtass (Take the train to Nyíregyháza or Kisvarda, then you can get to Nyírtass with a rented car in about 45 minutes.). The historic birthplace of the Tosh sect of Hassidism started by the Rabbi Meshulam Feish Segal-Loewy of Tosh. The Jewish cemetery has the crypts of the Tosh "csoda-rebbi" (miracle rabbi). It is customary to write one's name, and family member's names on a piece of paper so that good fortune may be granted to you. There is an effort to revive the Jewish presence in this former "shtetle", on Ady Endre út, which is one block away from the cemetery. On Tass Vasar u. It is the place of the "GERTEL" of the tosher rabbis. - There is a statue of Kossuth Lajos on a horse, near the local "Söröző" (beer hall). -Take in the traditional architecture of the homes, the way people dress, and the lack of technology. - The Roman Catholic Church. - The Greek Catholic Church. - The primary school which is connected to the castle. - The mayor's office. - The Millennium Park with the statue of Tas, one of the leaders of early Hungarian tribes. (Nyírtass was named after him).
- 1 Bugac nature trail (bugaci tanösvény) (W 12 km of Kiskunfélegyháza). Bugac puszta is the largest of seven disjoint units making up the Kiskunság National Park.
- 2 Biharugra (Biharugrai-halastavak). – lake system. The heaven for anglers
- 3 Körös-Maros National Park (Körös-Maros Nemzeti Park) (Békés County). HQ: Szarvas, Anna-liget 1, - open: M-Th 8.00-16.30, F: 08.00-14.00
- 4 Mágor wilderness (Mágor puszta) (Bus to Vésztő further walk).
- 5 Pusztaszer (Csongrád County). Fülöp-Szék Conservation Area (Fülöp-Szék Természetvédelmi Terület), Hétvezér Memorial Conservation Area (Hétvezér Emlékmű Természetvédelmi Terület)
- 6 Hajdúbagos– Grounddog-Reserve (Hajdúbagosi földikutya rezervátum Természetvédelmi terület,) (Bus to Sáránd further three km walk).
- 7 Berekfürdő (Trains from Karcag, Tiszafüred). Public bath with nine pools. The thermal water is very effective in curing locomotor disorders. Also there is a Camping (1000 places) on the shore of the fishing lake. And a pension with 12 rooms and 32 beds
- 8 Csépa (Trains from Kecskemét, Kunszentmárton, bus from Kecskemét, Csongrád). Walking, birdwatching tours in Fertő of Csépa (marshy grassland, Area: 67 ha.), angling in Tisza river backwater system, Passed the Tisza-Körös rivers tour route at 'Mámairéti' lookout and also there is a boating lake. - Overnight Tourist Accommodation, (Kossuth u. 1-2; HUF1000 p.p. (2014) five rooms with kitchen). Visit also the Saint Jakob church
Several possibility for hunting, fishing, aquatic, equestrian and cycling tourism (health tourism); Ideal for nature lovers, hikers and naturalists
- 9 Körösvölgy Conservation Area (Körösvölgyi Természetvédelmi Terület) (Kunszentmárton, Öcsöd, Szelevény, Mezőtúr, Mesterszállás, Tiszaföldvár). Körös Valley Nature Reserve Exhibition Centre (Mezötúr), Körös Valley's Visitor Center (Address: Szarvas, Anna-liget 1.; Open: Apr-Oct. Tu-Su 09:00-17:00, Fee: HUF500 (2014), Bicycle rentals: Price: HUF1,270 / day, HUF390 / hour ; Canoe rental: HUF400 / canoe / hour and HUF1.400 / canoe / day )
- 10 Middle Tisza Protected Area (Közép-Tiszai Tájvédelmi Körzet) (NE 20-35 km of Szolnok, Tisza river floodplain , between Kisköre and Tiszaug). 9455 ha. Part of the Hortobágy National Park. Parts of its: Pély bird sanctuary, the Óballa's and Vezseny's Nature Reserves and the Tiszakécske's sand martin colony. Related cultural values: The Tiszasüly (Roman Catholic Church, Sajfok's vapor pump, 1878), Szolnok (Damjanich Museum) , Miller (Museum of Water Management) ; Tiszaföldvár (Geographic Museum); Tiszaroff (Reformed Church, 1775); Fegyverneki (Truncated Tower, 1480)
- 11 Zagyva-menti Natural Protected Area (Zagyva-menti Természetvédelmi terület) (Between Jászfelsőszentgyörgy and Jászberény). at the Zagyva river's flood basin, can be found rare plant and animal species. Willow, poplar and oak, ash and elm forests, floodplain meadows and high banks bare meadow.
- 12 Lake Tisza (Hungarian: Tisza-tó) (southeastern edge of Heves county, bordered by Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén, Hajdú-Bihar és Jász-Nagykun-Szolnok counties). Also known as Kisköre Reservoir (Hungarian: Kiskörei-víztározó). This is the largest artificial lake in Hungary. Following the reservoir's completion, Hungarians began to flock to the site for holidays, since it compared favorably with the crowded and expensive Lake Balaton, the traditional holiday site. The lake (or reservoir) has a new local ecology with a diversity of birds, plants, and animals.
- 13 Hortobágy National Park - the Puszta (Hortobágyi Nemzeti Park), Hajdu-Bihar, Jasz-Nagykun-Szolnok, and Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg counties, partly Heves county. One of the most iconic sight is the Nine-holed Bridge. Traditional T-shaped sweep wells dot the landscape, as well as the occasional mirage of trees shimmering in the reflected heat of the Puszta. - The Hortobágy is Hungary's largest protected area, and the largest semi-natural grassland in Europe. - 'Do list': Eco tours, horse riding, tasting special local cuisine and spirit (pálinka)
- 15 Kiskunság National Park (Kiskunsági Nemzeti Park), National Park Directorate (House of Nature), Kecskemét, Liszt F. Street. 19 (Bács-Kiskun county), ☏ , fax: , firstname.lastname@example.org. The park covers an area of 570 km² and stretches across the Little Cumania (Kiskunság) region of the Great Hungarian Plain. Declared a biosphere reserve by the UNESCO. - Szeged Regional Office: Szeged, street Föltámadás., 29,- Phone / fax: +36 62 498-058, e-mail: email@example.com, at the services of the offices: Tourist information, Excursions management, Open excursions at scheduled times, Lectures and sessions on nature and the environment, Films and slide shows on nature and the environment, nature preservation camps, Information leaflets and gifts on sale. Tours depart to: Tour No.1 Upper-Kiskunság Plain, Tour No.2 Fülöpháza Sand Dunes, Tour No.3 Bugac's Native Juniper Grove and sodic lakes, Tour No.4 Lake Kolon birdparadise at village Izsák, Tour No.5 Lake Szelidi, the fishers favourite place and also a significant archeological site, Tour No.6 Red Swamp (Vörös-mocsár), near to village of Császártöltés, Tour No.7 Szikra and the Alpár Meadow, Tour No.8 Pusztaszer Landscape Protected Area with sights: Labodár backwater, Smelly-chair Lake (Büdös-szék tó), Eagle-vein Forest Reserve (Sas-ér Védett Erdőterület), Tour No.9 Mártély Landscape Protected Area. - Exhibitions at different places. - Take selfguided tours: Red Cross Trail, Bugac; Yellow Stripe Trail, Lake Kolon area; Blue Square Trail at Császártöltés. - The main visitors' centre] is situated in Kecskemét (Liszt F. utca 19, open Apr 30 - Oc 15, Tu-Fr from 8:00-16:00 and Sa 10:00-14:00 ). - Tisza Valley Exhibition House, Szatymaz - Seven disjoint units: Lake Kolon near the town of Izsák ( Izsáki Kolon-tó). It is famous for its marsh tortoises,herons, expanses of untouched reeds and nine species of orchids which grow in the vicinity. - The sand dunes in the vicinity of Fülöpháza (Fülöpházi buckavidék). They are said to move under favourable wind conditions. - Felső-kiskunsági puszta (Puszta of Upper Cumania) - Lakes of Upper Cumania ( Felső-kiskunsági tavak), - Orgovany Meadows (Orgoványi rétek), - Mound world and Puszta of Bócsa-Bugac (Bócsa-Bugac bucka világa és pusztái), - Szikra and Alparian meadow ( Szikra és az Alpári-rét), - Mikla mere ( Mikla puszta), - Peszéradacsi meadows (Peszéradacsi rétek). - Mártély Protected Area (Mártélyi Tájvédelmi Körzet), - Pusztaszer Protected Area (Pusztaszeri Tájvédelmi Körzet). - Nature reserves: Ásotthalom fen ( Ásotthalmi Láprét), Red swamp of Császártöltés (Császártöltési Vörös-mocsár), Csólyospálos geological exploration (Csólyospálosi földtani feltárás), Csongrád Kónya-chair (Csongrádi Kónya-szék), Hajós Sand Pustas (Hajósi Homokpuszták), Hajósi meadows and Loess walls (Hajósi Kaszáló és Lösz part), Kéleshalmi Sand dunes (Kéleshalmi Homok buckák), Kiskőrösi Turjános, Kunfehértó Holdrutás forest (Kunfehértói Holdrutás erdő), Kunpeszér Forest Belt (Kunpeszéri Szalag Erdő), Petrine Lake (Péteri-tó), Pusztaszeri Fülöp-chair (Pusztaszeri Fülöp-szék), Pusztaszeri Hétvezér memorial (Pusztaszeri Hétvezér emlékmű), Szelidi lake (Szelidi-tó)
- 16 Danube River Beaches (Nyaralóhelyek a Dunán Tasstól délre), From Tass toward south to the national border (E 40 km of Kecskemét). Very popular some resort place on both side of the river
- 17 Tisa River Beach (Tisza strand), Tiszakécske (E 40 km of Kecskemét). Also popular relaxing place
Berekfürdő, Cserkeszőlő, Gyula, Szentes and Szolnok all have medical bath
Spas in Bács-Kiskun County
- 18 Jona Thermal Spa (Jona Thermál Gyógyfürdő), Kiskunmajsa, Kőkút utca 26 (N 3 km of Kiskunmajsa).
- Kiskunfélegyháza City Spa and Swimming Pool (Kiskunfélegyháza Városi Strand és Uszoda), Kiskunfélegyháza.
- Csajda Swimming Pool and Spa (Csajda Uszoda és Gyógyfürdő), Kalocsa.
- Kiskőrös Spas and Open Air Bath (Kiskőrös város Gyógy- és Strandfürdő-), Kiskőrös.
Spas in Hajdú-Bihar County
Hajdúszoboszló, Debrecen, Hajdúnánás
Thermal baths Hajdú-Bihar County
Hajdúböszörmény, Hajdúdorog, Nádudvar, Berettyóújfalu, Balmazújváros, Földes, Kaba, Komádi, Polgár, Tiszacsege
Thermal baths Jász-Nagykun-Szolnok County
Martfű, Cserkeszőlő, Jászapáti, Berekfürdő, Karcag, Kisújszállás, Kunhegyes, Mezőtúr, Szolnok, Tiszaföldvár, Tiszafüred, Törökszentmiklós, Túrkeve qualified thermal water baths
More to do in Hajdú-Bihar County
Ideal place for green tourism, horse riding, fishing and cycling
Events in Bács-Kiskun County
- Bajai Halászléfőző Népünnepély (Fisherman's Soup Boiling Festival) in Baja.
Events in Békés County
- Várjátékok (Castle Games) in Gyula
Events in Csongrád County
- Nomad Food & Cooking Festival, in Algyő. - Sept
- Vegetable and Flower Festival, in Balástya. - Oct
- Festival of Local Flavours , in Bordány. - Sept
- Bread Celebration and Wine Festival, in Csongrád - Aug
- International Festival of Dance and Music, in Csongrád - Aug
- Days of Körös-torok, in Csongrád - Jul to Aug
- Music Festival of Tiszazug, in Csongrád - Jun
- Carrot Festival, in Domaszék - Jul
- Equestrian Festival, in Fábiánsebestyén - Ap to May
- Autumn Festival, in Felgyő - Sep
- Bands of zither Meeting, in Földeák - Sep
- Folk Festival, in Forráskút, - June
- Farmers Days of Great Plains, in Hódmezővásárhely - Apr
- Wine Festival, in Hódmezővásárhely - Aug
- Jewish Culture Festival in Hódmezővásárhely August-September
- Military Band Festival of Southern Great Plains in Hódmezővásárhely - Sep
- Hódstock Festival in Hódmezővásárhely - Sep
- Motorcycle Meeting in Kistelek - Jul
- Cheese and Culinary Festival in Kistelek - Sep
- Open International Dance Competition in Kistelek - Sep
- Corn's Labyrinth Festival in Kiszombor - Jul to Aug
- Operetta Village, in Kübekháza - Jul
- Sunshine Village Festival, in Kübekháza - May
- International Guitar Festival in Makó - Aug
- Onions Carnival in Makó - Feb
- Mako Music in Makó - Jul to Aug
- BBQ Festival in Makó - Jun
- Makó Operetta Festival in Makó - Jun
- Makó Expo in Makó - May
- Ball of onion in Makó - Mar
- International Onion Festival of Makó in Makó - Sep
- Lele Days in Maroslele - Sep
- Traditional Vintage Festival in Mindszent - Oct
- Red Pepper Festival in Mindszent - Sep
- Tomato Festival of Mórakert in Mórahalom - Jul
- Concourse of Homokhát in Mórahalom - Jun-Jul
- Christmas of Hungarians in Ópusztaszer, - December
- Archery Meeting of Carpathian Basin in Ópusztaszer - Jul
- National Assembly of Motorcycle's bikers in Ópusztaszer - Jul-Aug
- Szobori Party in Ópusztaszer - Sep
- Hunniális at Ópusztaszer,
- Asparagus Festival in Öttömös - Jun
- Harvest Festival and Rooster Stew Cooking Competition in Pusztamérges - Sep
- National Nature Film Festival in Pusztaszer - Aug
- Potato Festival in Ruzsa - Oct
- Festival of Homokhát in Szatymaz - Aug
- Peach Festival in Szatymaz - Jul
- Airshow in Szatymaz - June
- Szabadtéri Játékok (Open-air Games) in Szeged,
- More Events of Szeged, see there.
- Milk loaf Festival in Szegvár - Aug
- Zentus Days - International Festival of Military Tournament in Szegvár - Sep
- Bird Festival of Szentes in Szentes - Nov
- Lecso festival in Szentes - Sep
Events in Hajdú-Bihar County
- Virágkarnevál (Flower Carnival) in Debrecen, (20 August).
- Hídi Vásár (Bridge Fair) in Hortobágy,
- Equestrian Festival in Komádi
Events in Jász-Nagykun-Szolnok County
- Csángófesztivál (Csángó Festival) in Jászberény,
- Cseresznyefesztivál (Sweet Cherry Festival) in Nagykörű,
- Gulyásfesztivál (Goulash Festival) in Szolnok
More events signed above at 'see' chapter
Buy in Bács-Kiskun County
- Kalocsa's spice paprika (kalocsai fűszerpaprika)
- Kalocsa's embroidery (kalocsai hímzés)
- Kiskunhalas lace (kiskunhalasi csipke )
- Kecskemét's 'whistling' apricot brandy (kecskeméti fütyülős barackpálinka)
- Try the Békés County food: Csaba sausage (csabai kolbász), Gyula salami (gyulai szalámi).
- Try some 'Hajdú-Bihar' speciality: 'orjaleves' (Pork meat soup), 'dübbencs' (dill pie filled with cottage cheese), goulash soup (beef, vegetables and potato), pancakes of Hortobágy, 'töltött káposzta' (stuffed cabbage of Debrecen), 'pecsenye' (roast of Hortobágy), and a variety of turkey meat of Hortobágy,
- Shepherd foods: slambuc (a kind of cooked pasta with bacon, potato, pepper), the lamb stew and the cauldron goulash.
- Try some 'Bács-Kiskun' speciality: Baja's fish soup (bajai halászlé), nationally famous
- plum brandy of Békés (békési szilvapálinka)
- peach schnapps of Hajdú-Bihar (barackpálinka)
- Kecskemét's 'whistling' apricot brandy (kecskeméti fütyülős barackpálinka)
- dry wines of Great Plain