Haizhu (海珠 Hói jyū in Cantonese, Hǎizhū in Mandarin) is a district in Guangzhou. It lies just south of historic Guangzhou, across the Pearl River. Locals refer to this part of Guangzhou as Henan (河南 Hòh nàahm in Cantonese, Hénán in Mandarin), meaning south of the river.
In the 2010s, the district has become business focused, particularly in real estate and trading.
Metro lines 1, 2, 4, 8, the Guangfo line, and the APM serve different parts of Haizhu.
In addition to the metro lines, the Haizhu Tram light rail line runs along the Pearl River within Haizhu, from Canton Tower (Metro 3, APM) east to Wanshenwei (Metro 4, 8).
- 1 Canton Tower (广州塔), Yuejiang Road West/Yiyuan Road, Haizhu District (Metro 3, APM Chigang Pagoda), ☏ . It was the tallest structure in China prior to the topping out of Shanghai Tower. It is 595.7 m high, and it's now the third tallest tower and the fifth-tallest freestanding structure in the world. It has indoor public observatory at 449 m and outdoor observation deck at 488 m. In additions to the observation decks, the tower features various restaurants, a 4-D theater and other entertainment venues. There are also sixteen transparent passenger cars travelling on a track round the edge of the tower's roof, taking between 20 and 40 min to circumnavigate the rooftop. ¥150.
- 2 Memorial Museum Of Generalissimo Sun Yat-Sen's Mansion (孙中山大元帅府纪念馆), 18 Dongsha St, Fangzhi Road (纺织路东沙街18号) (Closest Metro stop is Tuanyida Square (line 6)), ☏ . Tu-Su 09:00-16:30. Free.
- 3 Sun Yat-Sen University (中山大学) (Metro 8 Sun Yat-Sen University). A university founded by and named after the founding president of the Republic of China. One of the premier universities in China.
- Pearl River Promenade.
- 4 Haizhu National Wetlands Park (广东广州海珠国家湿地公园), Longtan Interchange, Xinjiao MIddle Road (新滘中路龙潭立交) (Take bus no. 14, 45, 250, 252, 264, 270, 761, 762, 801, 998, Peak Time Express Bus No. 39 (高峰快线39路) or Peak Time Express No. 74 (高峰快线39路) and get off at Xinjiao MIddle Road (新滘中路). The nearest metro station is Datang Station on Line 3), ☏ . 09ː00-17ː00, closed on Mondays. ¥50.
- 5 Chen Liji Museum of Traditional Chinese Medicine (陈李济中药博物馆), 1688 Guangzhou Avenue South (广州大道南1688号) (1.6km east of Nanzhou Station on Metro Line 2. If you don't feel like walking that distance, you can take bus no. b7 from the station. The bus stop closest to the museum is Luoxi Bridge Feet (洛溪桥脚)), ☏ (enquiries), (bookings). Monday to Friday, 09ː00-12ː00, 14ː00-16ː30. Visitors are required to make a booking before visiting the museum. On most days, the museum only accepts group bookings. Weekends are reserved for visits by groups of 10 or more persons. Individuals may visit the museum on Wednesdays and special open days. Free.
- 1 Canton Fair Complex, 380 Yuejiang Middle Road (阅江中路380号) (Metro 8, Xingangdong or Pazhou station). Canton Fair, the largest trade fair in China, is held here several times a year. See Guangzhou article for details.
- Fo World Sushishe (佛世界素食社), 2-8 Niunaichang St, Tongfu Middle Road (同福中路牛奶厂街二圣宫前2-8号) (Metro 2 The 2nd Workers' Cultural Palace), ☏ . 7AM-9PM. The restaurant is hidden in a small street, this place is especially crowded on the 1st and 15th of each month (lunar calendar). Part of the profits is given to the neighboring temple.
- Oh Marco Wine Cellar, 9 Yiyuan Road 4-5, Haizhu District, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 9AM-9PM. Oh Marco is a retail wine chain shop. There you can drink a glass or buy a bottle of wine. It offers full range of wines, directly imported from France. Perfect for after-work drinks. Drinks from ¥18..